2009 Chevrolet HHR seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 182011

HHR 4-cyl

This is my 2nd HHR first was great this is horrible. First problem was my locking mechanism on drivers side would not work. After the third time in the dealership they changed out the lock mechanism. Then I started having problems with my window not rolling down and my dash light going out for a period of 2-3 seconds. They fixed the window but could never find out what was going on with the dash. Then my airbag service light started coming on I had to take in twice for this incident. My steering problem started when I took my son in to do his driving test and all of a sudden it became very difficult to turn. We parked the car gave it a few minutes and started driving again, did the test and on the way home it happened again. We have just had to many problems with this vehicle.

- Willis , TX, USA

Apr 292013

HHR

I was sitting with the car idle at home and the air bag light came on. I looked it up and it said that the air bag is more than likely defected due to an electrical issue. My concern is that the air bag could go off while I am driving or not go off in an accident.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 062013

HHR

I was in a car accident on 3/6/13. Before the accident I passed out due to a later found heart condition. I failed to negotiate a left turn due to passing out. I sheared off a street sign, went through a chain link fence, was airborne over a hill and dropped approximately 25 feet. My car was a total loss as determined by my insurance company. My driver side airbag did not deploy. I spoke with GM to file a claim and an investigator went to investigate my car and determined that the airbag should have not deployed. I asked for a copy of the report for my personal records. GM is telling me that they will not release it due to it being GM property. I would like to know how to proceed from here. If more detail and specific dates are needed please feel to request it. I have all of the names and dates as needed.

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

Jan 022013

HHR 4-cyl

The service air bag light comes on and goes off intermittently. Dealer ran diagnostic checks and stated "passenger side dash airbag connector needs to be replaced". this vehicle has never had an accident, has never had any work done under the dash or to the air bag restraint system.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 142013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that he applied the brakes and as the vehicle stopped, the roof-mounted air bag deployed inadvertently. The vehicle was not involved in any type of crash. As a result, the contact sustained injuries to her head and neck and was transported to the hospital for treatment. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who notified the manufacturer, and advised that a representative would be sent to inspect the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. Updated 2/13/13 the consumer stated GM offered to buy the vehicle back, but by the time she pays off the loan, there would not be enough money to buy another vehicle. Updated 02/14/13

- Carbobdale, PA, USA

Oct 102012

HHR 4-cyl

The service airbag keeps coming on. The dealer said that I need a new airbag and they want me to pay for it. I feel that this is a manufacture default.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 012011

HHR 4-cyl

Air bag light turned on in the vehicle, but after a while it would turn off and then come back on again. The dealer repaired the problem and the light went away. Less than one year later when the car had 50000 mi the problem re-occurred. There appears to be a wiring issue with the airbags in this vehicle as there are many similar complaints from other owners.

- Reston, NJ, USA

Oct 092012

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving on 30 mph zone at 30 mph, when the service air bags came on my dashboard.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jul 012010

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the turn signal lights were inoperable and would not illuminate when engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the vehicle was operating as normal. The contact also stated that the air bag warning light illuminated and he was told by the dealer that the air bags would not function in the event of a crash until they were repaired. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred one year later. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 25,000 and the current mileage was 48,000. Updated 8/6/12 the consumer stated the air bag issue was resolved. However, the turn signals did not cancel in a timely manner after completing a turn. Updated 08/14/12

- North Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 152012

HHR 4-cyl

Without incident, the service airbag alert illuminated and has continued to stay on the majority of the time for the last 5 days. Momentarily, the alert light will turn off but re-illuminate again without incident. This is similar to the other posts and complaints I have read.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

May 092009

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that when any electrical devices such as a cellular phone, charger, I-pad or computer were placed in the front passenger seat, the air bag off warning light would illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who informed him that there could be no electrical devices placed in the front passenger seat, as it would interfere with the air bag sensor. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Albertville, MN, USA

Apr 022012

HHR 4-cyl

Service airbag light stays on.

- Lindstrom, MN, USA

Apr 102012

HHR 4-cyl

I have two issues going on with my HHR. Last evening I pull into my driveway and my key would not turn off engine and release. I have read hundreds of complaints with the same issues while I was trying to research how to turn off my car. My car ran in my driveway for 2 hours wasting gas until we figured out how to turn off car. The manual states that you can push a tumbler and turn the key to release it. The manual is not clear on what the tumbler is but the only movable piece inside steering wheel base did not help to release the key. We finally figured out how to pull the fuse to shut down the entire car. The dealership was closing around the time I started calling and their option to come leave the car without other transportation was not a good option for me with kids. Once fuse was out the car is sitting in my driveway with the key in it which is causing a whole other level of stress for me. I have to put fuse back in this morning and take to dealership to get my car fixed. From other complaints the fix should be the same. I don't understand if this is such a big issue why there is no recall on this. I also would like to know will we as loyal customers get a refund when they actually do decide to recall this apparent defective car. My other issue is the air bag light pops on for unspecified periods of time and says it needs serviced. It can go off for days and weeks at a time and then decide to pop back on. I have also been reading about this issue in the complaints and wondering why there is no recall on this issue as well.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 162012

HHR 4-cyl

2009 Chevy HHR - key stuck in ignition with engine running. Had to pull negative battery cable and ignition fuse to shut car off. Called dealer and they told me to bring it in. Reconnected battery cable and replaced fuse and car started up so I could drive to dealer. Chevy dealer stated ignition lock syl binding, removed and replaced cyl. I had to pay $300+ to have this fixed and since this is a known issue with HHR's, I feel GM should definitely do a recall as this is a serious safety issue. Also the service air bag light comes on randomly and can stay on the entire trip or go back out in a few minutes, only to come back on a few minutes later.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jul 282010

HHR 4-cyl

7/10 - center console lights inop. Dealer replaced internally shorted relay. Warranty 11/10 - engine would not crank/service airbag & power steering msg on dic. Dealer towed in, replaced starter and found loss of comm w/ BCM due to internal short. Dealer replaced BCM. Warranty 12/10 - engine turns over wont start. Dealer towed in, found power train relay open. Replaced relay. Warranty 4/11 - service airbag light. Dealer found open circuit at passenger front airbag. Reconnector connector added dielectrical grease. Stabilitrack light does not come on (ever). Was told system is okay, some models don't have warning lights. (go figure, will not return to that dealer) warranty 2/12 - service airbag light. Comes on and goes out 3 - 4 times during first 15 minutes of driving first trip of the day. Happens 90% of the time. If I can find a dealer I can trust I will have them check this and the stabilitrack problem. Mileage is now 63,000.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Feb 012012

HHR 4-cyl

The airbag light keeps coming on and it says "service airbag". is there a recall on the airbags for the 2009 HHR?

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 112011

HHR 4-cyl

Since then the air bag trouble light goes on and off sometimes off for months (as it is now off) I asked about a possible recall on this and the local Chevy dealer said that there was not it > where this is a safety issue I think that a 3 year old vehicle should be considered for a safety recall. I bought the car used and have a car fax report that there was no problem reported.

- Norton, MA, USA

Jul 172011

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was driving 50 mph when the air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they confirmed there was a loose connection with the air bags. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,665 and current mileage was 62,138. The consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 11/21/11

- Lawrenceburg, IN, USA

May 272011

HHR

The airbag service light came on in the dashboard for no apparent reason. I haven't gotten into an accident or a fender bender, or not even a slight bump to any part of my vehicle. Now the light shows to service the airbag and sometimes it goes out like it is fine, but then comes back on within minutes.

- Crest Hill, IL, USA

Jun 012010

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The failure was experienced at least five times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who only offered to file a report. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and current mileage was 21, 069.

- Haines City , FL, USA