2009 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Feb 112011

HHR 4-cyl

During the ice storm the power steering went out in my vehicle. My husband was driving and that is the only reason we didn't have an accident. This continues to be a problem on my 2009 Chevy HHR lt.

- Ada, OK, USA

Jun 252011

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph the power steering would intermittently fail and the wheel would become very difficult to turn. Whenever the failure occurred, the contact would restart the vehicle. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer, who informed the contact that the power steering assist system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Filer, ID, USA

Jun 122011

HHR 4-cyl

The Chevy HHR is based on the Chevy cobalt. The Hhrs are having the exact same power steering assist problem that exists in the cobalt. The cobalt is covered by a recall, but the HHR is not. I believe the HHR should have the same recall because it has the exact same component that is failing. The power steering goes out suddenly and has caused my wife to lose control of the car. Chevrolet will not replace the component under the extended warranty that was purchased from them, yet they will replace it on a Chevy cobalt.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

May 252011

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving home from work and the electrical power steering went out, I pulled off the expressway onto the side of the road, turned my car off and back on, then I continued journey home. I hadn't drove a mile before it went out again. I pulled off the expressway two or three more times. It continued to go out, so I decided to drive home since the car dealer was already closed for the day. I phoned them from work the next day only to be told that the part had not been recalled and if I wanted to get it fixed it would be $500 plus taxes or more if they discovered that it was the steering column. $500 which I did not have, my husband purchased the part and installed it over the memorial holiday weekend. We would really like to get our money back. My car is only two years old and the electrical power steering should not be going out. I searched the internet and discovered that the same part is used in the Chevy cobalt and it has had the same problem, they should have issued a recall on it for the Chevy HHR lt as well, since the same part is being used in it. This is dangerous what if I had been involved in an accident as some of the other people who reported having the same problem on the internet and someone had been killed or injured. I sincerely hope that something can be done to assist me and the other people with the same problem. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

- Ford Heights, IL, USA

Dec 132010

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key remained stuck in the ignition and the contact was unable to shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was left with the engine running overnight. The next morning, the vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was advised that the ignition switch and the solenoid in the steering column had failed. The failed components were no longer listed under warranty and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 40,536.

- Frankford, KY, USA

Aug 012010

Power steering went out completely in 2009 HHR.

- Danbury, TX, USA