2010 Chevrolet HHR miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet HHR:

2010 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Aug 022016

Car only has 54,168 miles. Check engine light appeared 4 months ago. I have taken it to a number of mechanics as well a dealer but no one can seem to figure out what the cause of it is. Grossinger Chevy kept it for 1 day claims to not find anything but light still on. Tremendously concerning.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Jan 032016

This vehicles safety chimes can shut off causing owner to be locked out of the vehicle with keys still in ignition. This occurs when parked and turned off or when parked and engine running. Small occupants as infants children and pets could be trapped in a freezing or hot car. This vehicle has no interior hatchback door opener and can essentially pin occupants in a accident into the vehicle if forward doors are damaged during accident. The only escape comes from removing plastic housing and using a screwdriver to a hidden latch inside the door housing.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 082015

Door handles break easily and have been replaced once each and drivers has been replaced twice. Also opening rear doors from outside of the car, the passenger rear door does not lock any longer and you can not get out the door without fighting with the lock on rear passenger side. The rear drivers side you have to jerk the door forward and sometimes it will open from the outside. You cannot open it from inside.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jun 292013

Key fob is inoperable except for the locate car option. Unable to lock/unlock doors or arm security system. Got a new battery and thought that might fix it, but it's still inoperable. This car is barely 6 years old and it should not be having all of these problems. This car that was rated with one of the highest safety ratings for it's type and that is why I purchased it. Now I cannot even arm the anti-theft device to safeguard my car and anything in it. Windows don't roll down, door handles break off, the electrical system is not reporting the correct information, the steering is locking up and the previously recalled ignition switch is not performing correctly.

- Rome, GA, USA

Apr 292015

I was driving down I 2O in Georgia and I thought my tire blew out. I got out of the car and the tire is fine, the rim is bent up like someone beat it with a hammer. I have never seen anything like this, but it was vibrating and humming about 2 days before this happened. Scared me half to death and could have been a bad accident if traffic was heavier.

- Toccoa, GA, USA

Nov 242014

Rydell Chevrolet in northridge California postponed my recall service because the replacement parts they received were defective. Yes I said defective. I don't want my defective parts replaced with more defective parts. These cars are lemons and GM knows it. I should call the news.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Jul 232014

HHR 4-cyl

Having received several letters from GM regarding the recall of this vehicle, I contacted the local GM dealer only to be shown that the letter stated that I would be contacted again when the part(s) were available. The dealer told me to go away and wait for a follow-up letter in spite of the danger of driving the car in its current condition.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Feb 202013

HHR 4-cyl

Hello, I would like to report the intolerable odor coming out of the ac vent in my car, which is affecting my health (eg: Throat infection) and well being. The car has ~32000 miles in it and out of warranty by ~10 months. I found a tsb (#99-01-39-004C) on this issue. The tsb advisory states GM to install an after blower kit if the customers complain. These after blower kits are installed in some of the cars and not others depending on the location of sales. I bought this as a new car at cincinnati during 2010 and moved to charlotte during 2011 time frame. During Mar 2013, I started noticing the bad odor, but I convinced myself that this will go away during summer and didn't take it to a dealer at that time. Later, however it got worse and I took it to the dealer during Dec/2013. The dealer recommended dehumidifying the evaporator core and I went ahead did it. It cost me ~$110. It seemed to work fine for a week or so, but the bad odor returned. I was getting sick with throat infection(s). On further investigation, I came to know about this tsb that I mentioned above. But the dealer didn't disclose about this tsb to me in first place, when I took the car there during Dec/2013. I complained about this to GM and mentioned that it is their responsibility to install the missing after blower kit. GM replied to me saying that they can offer a cost assistance program to install this missing kit and cover 1/2 the costs because my car is out of warranty. To me, this is a clear design and manufacturing issue. GM didn't advise me (during purchase of this car) if I move out of cincinnati area, I may need this after blower kit to avoid mold and mildew build up in the ac system. Please advise as I don't want to pay for expensive fix that is not my fault to begin with.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 152014

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering unit went out when driving without warning. Pulled HHR over to the curb to get the car off the road and damaged tire on curb. Car very hard to steer and could not control when pulling vehicle off road. This is a serious safety hazard especially for my wife who does not have the upper arm strength to control the vehicle. Same power steering unit in the Chevy Cruze and Pontiac G6 has been recalled. Do not understand why the HHR has not been included in the recall. Same problem reported on the internet by many other owners.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Jan 232012

HHR 4-cyl

I was at walmart my key would not turn at all. I called a Chevy dealership they said that it was a recall but not on 2010 just 2009. I had the ignition switch replaced at my cost. Today January 31 my key will not come out of the ignition switch which I'm for sure is defective parts on gms account this is a problem that many owners of complained on all over google.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Nov 202011

My 2010 Chevy HHR has experienced an ignition issue. The key, when the car is set to park, will not disengage. It remains on, with the only option being to let the car run out of gas/the battery to drain. The key will turn (as if to start the car), and the gear can be shifted from park to reverse, neutral, etc., but will not turn off. All systems stay on, potentially burning out electrical components or causing permanent engine damage. The only way to safely address the immediate issue is to disengage the fuses under the steering wheel, which many consumers may be unable to do.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 042010

HHR 4-cyl

Consumer is unhappy with General Motors. The consumer stated the vehicle did not come equipped with a spare tire, jack or lug wrench. The consumer stated he specifically asked about the spare tire and the salesman stated one was provided. The consumer stated he did not personally check at the time. Two to three weeks later after the purchase, the consumer wanted to check the pressure in the spare tire only to discover there was no spare tire in the spare tire storage area. Instead, he found a tire sealant and inflator kit.

- West Salem, OH, USA