2010 Chevrolet HHR seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet HHR:

2010 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 012013

HHR

Air bag light will come on and say service air bags. It comes and goes and can be reset manually. Had it serviced and it had a bad connector. The dealership re pined the connector for $155 labor I felt ripped off. Safety equipment falls under different category the radio not working.

- Lansing , MI, USA

Jan 202014

HHR

Intermittent "service air bags". service light goes on and off sometimes it will change multiple times in just a 20 mile commute. Sometimes the service light will not turn on/off for a month. No common factor found. My VIN is not yet covered on the HHR recall list. Intermittent "power steering" loss - service light turns on and off. It can be hot, cold, dry, raining, driving 30 miles per hour or driving 50 miles per hour. Very difficult to control vehicle. My VIN is not yet covered on the HHR recall list. A couple of times my car key got stuck in the ignition. Once it took five minutes to turn the HHR off. This is covered on the current HHR recall list. There currently is no fix for the problem. It could be two months before it can be repaired.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Mar 012014

HHR 4-cyl

When driving at any speed the "service airbag" warning comes on then goes off and comes back on randomly.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Apr 262014

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving my HHR about 35 miles an hour. The dash display said check airbag and the red airbag indicator light came on. It stayed on for about 2 minutes. The next morning after I started the HHR, the airbag display and the red indicator light stayed on.

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Mar 212014

HHR

I own a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 75 mph in the fast lane on I-75N. The power steering sensor light had illuminated and the power steering suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel stiff and almost impossible to move. I was somehow able to safely across 3 lanes to off ramp, luckily immediately to the right was able to glide into a parking lot. Parked the vehicle and turned ignition off, checked all fluids under hood, read manual and advised to take keys out and restart. So I restarted the engine and the vehicle operated as normal, the warning signal was gone and wheel was moving. I reported this to GM immediately and have taken vehicle to dealership, where they do not seem to be acting as if this is urgent. They have stalled 2 days now without diagnosing, they will not provide me with a loaner vehicle and therefore I have no choice then to continue to drive the vehicle, knowing the severe threat it has to myself and others on the road. This car is a death trap. I have had numerous issues with this vehicle. I take it in for an issue atleast every other month. Also since steering issue have had the "air bag service" light has come on several times. Will have dealership check this malfunction out too. I think this means if my steering goes out and I crash, then I will not have an airbag to save me.. I call this car "christine"!! I am very upset that GM and the dealership do not handle this malfunction more seriously. Death trap!

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Jan 022014

HHR 4-cyl

The SRS light was red and stood lit for one month and then it went away, I have 3 children under 17 years of age and this problem just worries me and has me worried about the safety of my family while in this car. We had the ignition replace by the dealer about a year ago, because my wife could not turn off the car. No other problems reported by my wife. We love our HHR. Great family car. We might need to go bigger since our growing family. Hope this problem of SRS gets fixed or does not become a future problem.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 102012

HHR

For no reason the chime started to chime and the airbag lite come on, ,,the cause of this lite coming on was a harness under the passenger seat not making a connection, ,,but intill I found out what it was I drove in fear that the airbag was going to deploy for no reason and cause me to have an accident, , iam not the only one this happened to, ,,I found out on the HHR network its a common defect with Chevy Hhrs

- East Boston, MA, USA

Dec 012012

HHR

I was driving the vehicle and the service air bag light just came on. It was under warranty so I took it back to the dealer to look at the issue (3 times) and the light went out and came back on. Now the car is out of warranty and the light is on steady. I tried disconnecting the battery but that did not clear the light. Since I have the history established with the dealership, I think that they should fix the problem.

- Parker, CO, USA

Mar 212013

HHR

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the air bag light warning light would illuminate constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who ran a diagnostic test but was unable to determine a failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,900 and the current mileage was 37,159.

- Ault, CO, USA

Mar 072013

HHR 4-cyl

On 3/7/13 my service air bag light came on the next day my door handle broke off and I called GM and they stated they had been no recalls for these problems. After looking online I saw that people were having all kinds of problems with these issues and they are both big safety issues. I feel like GM is not wanting to take care of these issues. The air bag could deploy at any time and the if I was in a wreck or auto was on fire I'd have no way of getting out the vehicle with the door handle broke off. They just told me it was up to me or I'd have to wait until they was enough complaints. That doesn't seem right now I'm having to leave the car sitting cause of these safety issues since I'm on a limited income and GM should be responsible for these safety issues. Thank you very much

- Livingston, TN, USA

Dec 272012

HHR

Air bag warning light constantly coming on, had it fixed in October 2012, after arguing with the dealer that it should be covered under the warranty. 2 months later the light is back on. ## VIN failed ##

- Connersville , IN, USA

Aug 152012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. While the vehicle was parked the contact noticed that the air bag light had illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000......updated 01/14/13 updated 01/17/2013

- Pulaski, VA, USA

May 142012

HHR 4-cyl

Air bag connector went bad when the car was 2 yrs old. Some unknown electrical problem has caused a 5 yr battery to be dead after 2 yrs of normal usage. Dealer says air bag connector is not covered under warranty and that the battery is dead.

- Connersville , IN, USA

Mar 312011

HHR 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle one morning last year the airbag light come on after going to the dealer he says the harness under the seat was loose and unplugged it and repluged it and also cleared the computer, ,, well after 6 months later the light is on again, ,,this time it cost me $218 for a new harness = $18 for the harness and $200 for labor $200 for labor "?" or I wouldn't get my inspection sticker for my car after loads of complaints I have read on the HHR network and the fact that the airbag will not work when this light is on, ,,why is there not a recall on these bad harnesses.

- East Boston, MA, USA

Jun 052012

HHR 4-cyl

While driving or parked I see the service air bag light come on. It has been going on and off. I haven't read where anyone else has been having this issue yet. But I have had the ignition stuck in the on position. I had to unplug the battery until the next morning. When I could go to the dealership. They fixed the car it was still under warranty at the time of incident. But now I am getting this service air bag light, when it does come on I can't see the mileage nor the temperature gauge. I want to know can this be fixed?

- Greenville, NC, USA

Nov 162011

HHR

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. While the contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the vehicle decelerated to 40 mph without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice for the failure. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem but the vehicle was not repaired. On a separate occasion, the air bags failed to deploy when the vehicle was involved in a crash. The vehicle was destroyed. The front seat driver sustained minor injuries to the right hand. In addition, the front seat passenger and and rear seat passenger both suffered minor head injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Nov 122011

HHR

Power steering went out at 42,000 purchased vehicle at 38,500 miles. Vehicle is all electric power steering.

- Antioch, IL, USA

Dec 262010

HHR

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. While the driver was traveling approximately 40-45 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle on the side and front. No air bags deployed. A police report was filed. One passenger suffered injuries. The vehicle was towed to a body shop but due to the crash, the vehicle's computer shut down and the key could not be removed from the ignition. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 34,500.

- Wendy Point, NY, USA