2011 Chevrolet HHR engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet HHR:

2011 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Sep 032016

While driving the car engine light appeared, I had it towed to the Chevrolet dealer near me, in rockaway, NJ. They reported that the charge would be over one thousand dollars, and there is a recall

- Rockaway, NJ, USA

Mar 302016

Ignition recall, the switch has been replaced twice. I am still having issues when leaving key in ignition in the off position, all dash lights flash and a lot of clicking noise and will all lock doors. The service air bag light will come on, when you turn it off and restart car it goes out. I took it to the dealership and was told that they could not find the switch defective and they would not replace it, or check into the matter with out charging me a service fee of several hundred dollars. I travel long distances, and concerned about my safety, and other that could be involved in an accident.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Feb 082012

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the electronic stability control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on four different occasions. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who, in turn, contacted the manufacturer in order to have an investigator inspect the vehicle. The investigator was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mcknights Town, PA, USA

Jul 142014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. The contact noticed a leak of hot air/liquid under the dashboard coming from the front and rear of the vehicle. The contact was burned from the hot water leakage. The contact also stated that the vehicle made an abnormal swoosh noise when making turns, which created a hot mist inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Lawrenceville , GA, USA

Jun 202013

HHR 4-cyl

Check engine light came on, all fuel injectors needed replaced. 15,000 later the entire engine needed repaired (separate complaint).

- Etters, PA, USA

Feb 172014

HHR 4-cyl

Never received any warnings that all of the engine cylinders were cracked with the exception of the temperature going into cooling mode one time. Took in for an oil change and asked them to check it out while it was there. Entire engine needed repaired at 50,547 miles. All cylinder sleeves cracked, replaced head gasket, head intake and all seals, gaskets and O-rings.

- Etters, PA, USA

Mar 022015

HHR 4-cyl

Driving along, 'low engine power' light came on (along with other errors, something about traction, something ESC, engine chugging; car slows down to about 10 mph and won't accelerate; after turning car off, waiting a few minutes, car started again (but check engine light stayed on); this has actually happened to me 3 times in the past 3 weeks (I don't recall the exact dates) - I thought it might be from the extreme cold (close to 0 or below) - but today it is 31 degrees and happened again. I'm glad I wasn't on the expressway! fortunately it happened at moderate speed and I was in a place I could safely pull off the side of the appears that this is happening with numerous vehicles from around that year.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 242015

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving a freeway speeds when the engine suddenly went into limp home mode. I received the following dash indications - service ESC, traction off, reduced engine power. Upon further inspection we found a failed accelerator position sensor and we had the following trouble codes stored in the computer: P2135 Chevrolet - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch 'a'/'B' voltage correlation replaced the accelerator position sensor and gas pedal assembly, at this point the car seems fine. I have the failed part.

- Newark, OH, USA

Nov 142014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the engine reduced power warning light illuminated and the vehicle started to shake. Additionally, the vehicle stalled and was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 292014

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving 55mph when my reduced power light came on and my car wouldn't go over 40 mph with my gas pedal all the way to the floor. The next day pulled the battery cable and let it reset. Drove fine for 3 miles and then did the same thing. Reduced power came on and wouldn't go over 40mph. Very dangerous when driving on the highway and your car suddenly slows down and there are cars behind you and you can't get over!

- Hemlock, MI, USA

Nov 102014

I work two jobs just bought my 2011 Chevy HHR just over a year ago and started getting reduced engine power light and then lose power and have trouble going over 20 struggles to get to 40 mph I have 3 young children that ride with me and there safety is number one and if I can't trust my new vehicle then how can I trust Chevy.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on the first attempt. The contact had to recharge the battery in order for the vehicle to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Sep 042014

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on dry even pavement the ESC light/system kicked in on my 2011 HHR causing loss of control of the throttle and brakes. Luckily, no other cars or pedestrians were near me or there could have been an accident. The car was undriveable until the ignition this turned completely off and on again. I had it checked and no error codes were stored on the ECM/BCM. This is a very dangerous problem!! this is the second time it happened to me and I may not be so lucky the next time!

- Anthem, AZ, USA

Feb 012014

HHR 4-cyl

2011 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle acceleration issues. The consumer stated while driving, she noticed the vehicle exhibit a boost/jerk type movement, and it made a strange noise. When she took the vehicle to the dealer, she was informed the problem was a spark plug and they fixed it. However, one night while driving, the vehicle once again exhibited the same boost/jerk movement, as if she suddenly hit the brake, as the vehicle was losing speed, until it shut down completely. She was able to pull over, turn the vehicle off, and re-started it again with no problem. A month later, the same thing happened, only that time, the electronic stability control light started blinking, followed by a strange noise. The electronic stability control light illuminated again in May 2014.

- Louisville, TN, USA

Mar 192014

On Wednesday 3/19/2014 I was forced to purchase this HHR that I didn't want. I drove off orr lot N it was pulling to the left bad, N was jumpin all over the road. I told orr bout it next day, N was told im stuck wit the car. Kept getn pulled over by police, on Monday 4/30/14 sheriff pulled me over cause car nearly went into ditch, he told me N my bf that this car is a road hazard N dangerous, for the manufacture to fix the problem or put me N another vehicle. Took it back to orr N they wouldn't even look at it!! I ha, so he got a truck. I've a 3 yr old lil girl N if we have accident, someone will pay! the right front tire is wore on side only, front pops, motor shakes, and U can smell foul fumes comin N car. I wanted a Dodge truck, not the HHR cause I knew something was wrong wit the HHR, my uncle done the same thing N it never cld B fixed, so he got a truck. This needs to B fixed or put me N a truck, if have accident, there will B trouble. There's too much wrong wit this car, it needs to B totally recalled in my opinion, or lawsuits B piling up!! thank U N please respond asap, my lil girl life cant B replaced, or N E one else's life either.

- Kensett, AR, USA

Mar 192013

HHR 4-cyl

Driving on I-25 on the West side of eisenhower pass & the engine shut off leaving me with no power steering or breaks. I was able to thread my vehicle through semis & spring break ski traffic to the side of the road to a runaway semi lane. The car restarted after I stopped shaking & was able to make it home to basalt. 2 months later the same thing happened on co hwy 82 on a straight away between carbondale & glenwood springs. I was able to safely maneuver the car to the side of the road. Both times I checked the internet for recall information finding nothing. The recent media attention alerted me to the current recall & have called my dealership & made an appointment for the ignition switch to be replaced.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Oct 192012

HHR 4-cyl

Key binds in ignition, engine will sometimes continue to run after key is removed from ignition, sometimes key binds and unable to start car, dealer states unable to duplicate this issue and will not repair.

- Fanningsprings, FL, USA

Jan 172012

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact noticed the ESC warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Suddenly the speed decreased and the ABS began to activate. In addition, the vehicle surged forward with excessive vibration. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and then towed to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to detect a trouble code. The failure occurred six times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer whenever the failure occurred. The repairs performed on the vehicle consisted of recalibrating the steering sensor and replacing the yaw sensor. The electronic brake control model was also replaced. The failure continued to occur after the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The vehicle was not repaired for the recent failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,658.

- Debary, FL, USA