8.8

2. replace ignition switch (5 reports)
  3. replace the starter (2 reports)
  4. cleaned the battery terminals (1 reports)
2000 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Chevrolet Impala:

2000 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 192007

Impala LS 3.5 V6

Okay. my piece of sh*t Impala was in the shop this summer for over two weeks in California and they finally diagnosed and fixed the faulty crank shaft sensor. NOW the POS has died on me again. We thought it could be a dead battery... replaced it and it still doesn't start. It turned over once and now nothing. It just clicks and the lights inside flash.... unless you turn on the headlights then it flashes faster. My mechanic that I have looking at it is going to check the starter but he thinks it may be a "major electrical problem." THEN it will be towed to the local Chevy dealership here in Oklahoma. Any ideas? I am through with this Impala. I have had it. This POS has left me stranded enough to say I need to get a new car! I feel like this car should come with a warning. I loved it at first too.... it has all leather seats, power seat, sun roof...... but it runs like sh*t! Go figure.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

- , Mannford, OK, USA

Jul 222006

Impala

The problem seems to be a failure to start due to something (possibly the security system) not allowing the ignition sequence to start when the key is turned. It has happened three times in the last couple days and after a period of time the car will start and run fine. However, I cannot trust it to start at any given time. After reading some of the other autobeefs I feel it is just a matter of time till it starts stalling as I'm driving.

UPDATE: I've tried cleaning the battery connections on a suggestion from an auto mechanic friend and (touch wood) haven't had a recurrence. Of course, it has only been a couple days. The battery connections looked fine but I cleaned them anyway.

- , Deep River, Ontario, Canada

Sep 092004

Impala LS

After telling the chevy mechanic that I don't know from one time to the next if my car will start, I leave the service dept. and when I turn the car off next... you guessed it!!! It won't start again!!! I called the mechanic who had just replaced the airbag sensor and cut loose on the phone! After jumping the car I went straight back to dealership and to the mechanic I had talked to. On the 4th try, the car wouldn't start for him. After having 3 people discussing it, (as I stood there crying) they decided that it was PROBABLY the starter... at this point I went ballistic!!!! I was yelling, crying and telling them that this piece of sh*t (our permanent name for the car) was bleeding us dry!!! I couldn't AFFORD to have them LOOK at the starter to see if it was indeed the problem (THIS TIME) and got in to drive away.. Just one problem... THE CAR WON'T START!!!!! So, picture a woman, sitting in a car, outside the service center, bawling her eyes out, with a car that goes "click, click, click" every time I turn the key!!!!! It took 2-3 minutes before it actually turned over!! My husband replaced the starter the next day and luckily once again we only had to pay for parts...

- , Klamath Falls, OR, USA