2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Mar 112013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Impala dies going down the road. The electrical gas gauge security light oil light temperature gauge do not work now. You can go to the store. Come out car won't start and some times it won't start for days or weeks. Sometimes I smell oil burning. If the buzzer goes off in the car the car won't start you can go down the road if you hear the sick sounding door buzzer go off be prepared to stop. Took it to the shop they can't figure out what it is. Most the time its running fine when they get it.

- Princeton, KY, USA

Apr 012012

Impala

The ignition switch began having a "passlock" problem. Essentially, on a more regular frequency, the car would not start because it thought it was being stolen. A reset procedure took 15 minutes plus. Fixing the problem required that I replace the ignition switch. I argued that GM should fix this problem at their expense since it was prevalent on many GM models and model years (I also had to have this same issue fixed on a 2004 Saturn ion). In addition, I listed several situations where this could be a safety issue (car stopped on railroad tracks and could not get it started, could not start car in parking lot when faced with a burglary, having to get help from strangers, etc.) GM would not help with the issue and the total cost was born by me. The above shows that GM ignition switches have not only had the issue related to too many keys on a key chain / bumps that moved it out of the run position. Customers paid many millions of dollars to fix this passlock / ignition switch problem in order to be able to continue to safely operate their vehicles. I feel that this "passlock" related ignition switch issue should be looked into along with the current ignition switch recall.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 122004

Impala 6-cyl

We bought a Chevrolet Impala new in 2001. Within three years we experienced intermittent shutdowns of the car. Several times the auto just quit on expressways, but getting over to the side of the road we would turn the key off and then it would start perfectly. This occurred perhaps 5 times in the following 3-4 years. It was a dangerous situation. Finally we took it in to the dealership where they had it for 5 days finding nothing wrong. We started calling mechanics, contacted General Motors executive offices (an amy green) and other sources. Several mechanics informed me to have the crankshaft sensor replaced. I "forced" the dealership to replace it and have not had a problem since. This was a dangerous situation as a shut down at high speeds a scary proposition. With all of GM's current (2014) handling of dangerous situations, we thought it time to comment on this one. Of course all this GM work was at our expense. I foolishly bought a new 2006 chev. Diesel 2500 pickup and had the whole back braking system rust up within 3 years, but that's a different story.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Mar 032014

Impala

2001 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch failure, causing a loss of electrical power. The dealer informed the consumer, the ignition switch needed to be replaced.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Mar 142013

Impala

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally but the failure recurred several times later. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Maywood, IL, USA

May 012003

Impala

Morning of may, enter car and tried to turn key to on position to start, with no luck. Wiggle key in lock several times to finally release key so it would move into starting mode. This has been a major pain, it has gotten bad enough that key will just pull out of lock assembly even in running mode. GM has know about this problem for some time, and should apply a recall on this item even as far back as my 2001 Impala, would hate to have car shut off during driving mode of just left stranded for a stupid ignition key assembly problem. Please try to help in this area. Thanks

- Duncan, OK, USA

Mar 082014

Impala

The cooling overheat light went on and the car turned off on me and my child on the exit of the 170 fwy, it now makes a screeching sound like metal, the radiator leaks and something smells burned, the mechanic I went to that was close by said I have to now replace the engine and other expensive items that seem to fall under the 2001 Impala recalls, my fuel pump has an issue as well and the electrical problem even worse it turns of and on as it pleases.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 222011

Impala

Was driving on interstate doing about 70/72 miles an hour when car shut off. Lost power steering, power brakes & lights. Managed to get it to the shoulder of the road & stopped. Car did restart. Car shut off several time after that when slowing down for a stop light or stop sign. Spent over $600 trying to get it fixed. Feel GM should have advised their dealerships about the problem when it was discovered in 2004. If dealership had been aware of problem they would have been able to fix it instead of trying several other costly things. I would still be drive the Impala & not making a car payment.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Jan 142009

Impala 6-cyl

The light went out on the speedometer. The instrument lighting cluster was replaced at the dealer for $614 and it went out again in about one year. It is out now. The speedometer speed cannot be read at night.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 172011

Impala 6-cyl

When key is turned, dash lights come on but engine will not turn over. Radio will work, chimes will work, all interior and exterior lights work but engine will not crank. After some time, anywhere from 5 minutes to 1.5 hours, engine will turn over and car will start and run fine.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Impala

Car will not start and battery will not take a charge. The battery is good, however. This seems to be an electrical problem probably involving the BCM. Chevy should own up to this and repair for free. Once the battery is partially charged, lights flash, speakers hum, and things click. Its definitely a problem with several models.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 052012

Impala 6-cyl

Bought the car in August 2010 noproblem for ayear went to star thecar would not start security light was on had problems with it ever sense security light on car wont start unplug battery cable for 10 seconds it would start happens every few days went out tostart my car on Saturday 8/17 /13 car wouldn't start no crank no electrical systems not working.

- Mexico, MO, USA

Jul 012008

Impala 6-cyl

Car thinks it is being stolen, and it will not crank with original keys. Appears to be a security issue. Must wait at least 10 minutes before attempting to crank again. It will not crank (motor will not turn over to crank) for at least 10 minutes after attempting to crank. Nothing happens when key is turned to crank/on position. I purchased this car new, and I have had it checked out by an independent mechanic. After searching online, this appears to be a common problem that has not been addressed by GM. Please help the consumer/car owner with this very serious problem. Thank you.

- Amory, MS, USA

Jun 262011

Impala 6-cyl

The security system prevented the car from starting.

- Margate, NJ, USA

Dec 062012

Impala 6-cyl

When braking my car assumes I'm sliding (like on ice) and I'm not--car uses ABS unnecessarily. When driving off my car assumes my wheels are spinning and unable to grip--they aren't and car uses traction control unnecessarily. Similar to a breaking throttle cable, when trying to make a left turn on a busy street, traction control being activated could be very hazardous.

- Caledonia, MI, USA

May 132011

Impala

The passlock security system locks the car down, you have to wait around 10 minutes for the system to reset so the car can be started.

- Murphy, NC, USA

Feb 282013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala and the gas gauge has a problem I would fill it up and the gauge would go right to E and the car would say check engine oil I just got a oilchange and low engine coolant.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Oct 162012

Impala 6-cyl

There is a problem with the pass lock system which makes the car no start up.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Nov 062010

Impala

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the starter switch continuously failed and the vehicle could not be started. In addition, the headlights had become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who advised that there was an electrical failure, such as the anti theft and pass lock systems, which constantly caused the entire electrical system to fail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that they were unable to repair the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- Kittshill, OH, USA

Jun 202012

Impala

My car has a starting problem my security light use to stay on for a while and then one day (June 20 2012) my car wouldn't start at all it use to take up to 10 minutes and then it would start but now its completely nothing my security light use to also blink and then and for the first time its not started for 4 whole months I try everyday seeing will it start but it hasn't can U all please make this problem noticeable and do a recall.

- Atlanta , GA, USA