2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Sep 042008

Passlock system in Chevy Impala prevents car from starting intermittently. Depending on circumstances, location, and persons on board, this could lead to illness or injury.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 202008

2001 Chevy Impala security light came on for a week car shuts down while driving, won't start, only after 30 minutes it will start, installing a new passlock ignition switch cost of over $500 with tow and diagnostics, this should be a recall, or covered by GM. This is the cost if this works it still could be something else, but the code reader spit out the passlock fault.

- St Stephen, MN, USA

Jun 032008

2001 Impala sometimes won't start. Had car three years. Replaced ignition cylinder once already. When this happens you turn the key clockwise and wait 10 minutes then turn off and try again. Usually after 10 minutes it will start, but sometimes have to go to round 2 or 3 and once through round 7. that's right an hour and a half! occurs about 4-5 times a month I'd guess. Not what you want to have to endure alone and 19 and late at night and my daughter. This is a safety hazard whether GM wants to admit it or not. This should be recalled and fixed!

- Bedford, TX, USA

Apr 162008

Impala 6-cyl

Security light comes on, lights flash on and off (especially dangerous at night) clicking noise, radio locks, battery light comes on, air bag light comes on. Clicking noise happens whether the car is on or not. Cannot unlock or lock car with the report. I've seen hundreds of complaints on the blogs about this. There is a bulletin from GM #04-08-47-003 so obviously they know about this problem. This a very dangerous situation.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Oct 252007

Impala 6-cyl

Service traction system light on at 78K miles; and mechanic claims it is a faulty ECM. Many others complain of this and ABS light problems with an electrical issue.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Feb 132007

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle shuts off randomly while driving, I have to pull off the road, and the car will restart. There is not always a safe place to pull off the road, this car shut down on me in a snow storm in the Sierra, in the dark I was lucky to find a place to pull off and restart. This car is extremely unsafe at this time. The dealer cannot find the problem and just wants to start replacing parts, very expensive. The comment from the dealer was if the part we replace does not fix the problem the we know that was not the problem. I have no problem paying to repair this car if they can tell me what the problem is, I don't want to start replacing parts good parts @ $500 a pop because GM can't find a problem, right now I am afraid to drive this car because some can be hurt or killed.

- Rescue , CA, USA

Dec 012005

Impala 6-cyl

My 2001 Chevrolet Impala started this problem about a month ago. Obviously, it is annoying, but it concerns me mostly due to the safety aspect. I believe I have discovered the problem by my research on the internet as well as finding the same problem with the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am on the internet from other owners. My trips to multiple dealerships and repair shops have proved worthless. The car will fail to start at times. The security light comes on. After 10 to 15 minutes it will start and run great. It appears to be a passlock security problem that will be very costly to repair. I believe GM should issue a recall so the consumer does not have to foot the bill to have this repaired. The car cranks over fine and the battery is new, but it sounds like no fuel getting to where it is supposed to go. Please research and I am sure you will find that other Impala owners have the same problem. I did not see a recall out on this problem yet.

- O'fallon, IL, USA

Oct 032006

Impala 6-cyl

Turn signals fail sporadically since dealer replaced body control module. Dealer doesn't think new BCM is problem but can't fix trouble for sure until there is a complete failure.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 252006

Impala 6-cyl

No accident has occurred as of yet. The car stops when I am at stop signs and red lights. It has even stopped when on the interstate and I have gone from 70 mph to 0 mph in less than 60 seconds.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 202005

I am having problems starting the car. About once every 2 week it just will not start. I have had the battery replaced twice in one year. In the winter you can turn the key nothing happens but on the flip back it will start, . now this summer it just won't start and I still have electric. Then sometimes it will go into a very high idle and I turn it off and restart it to fix it. What do I do?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 262006

Traction control rust on wheel speed sensor GM recall number#05068 why was my vehicle's not listed on recall 2001 Impala ls 51000 miles.

- Roanoke Rapids, NC, USA

Jun 232006

Impala 6-cyl

2001 Chevrolet Impala ls 3.8L: Body control module failure at 60,000 miles and again at 90,000 miles. Car will not start; vehicle and driver stranded.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Apr 162006

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2001 Impala we bought new. It has 62,379 miles. I took it in for a brake job last month for the first time. The company I use has a good reputation in town. They told me after the first turning of the rotor which they did that there was not enough metal left to turn again. That seems ridiculous. Also, the car at times wont start and have to let it sit for 10-15 minutes before it will start. I have read a lot of reviews on various sites and it seems this is a very common complaint. I can't afford to throw out hundreds of dollars jut hoping that it will be fixed. I have heard anything from the ignition switch going bad to the passlock anti theft systems errors and or the BCM module going back. Also someone suggested that I might just need to get a new key cut as the old was has gotten worn and the anti theft devise is thinking that someone is trying to steal the vehicle.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Mar 212006

Reported to fairgrounds Chevy that all the emergency lights came-on intermittently - Aug 12, 2005 we heard a hissing noise from the dash area and that the emergency lights still come on as reported earlier. They determined that the instrument cluster was bad.

- St James, MO, USA

Jul 302005

Impala 6-cyl

2001 Chevrolet Impala had a clogged catalytic converter.** answer required***. the vehicle lost pressure while driving up a hill, the battery had gone dead without warning, rear defroster shorted out and almost injured the consumers daughter, the doors seized, the driver window seized constantly, and the fan blower only worked on 5.

- Westbrookville, NY, USA

May 012005

Problems with the wiring system on the 2001 Chevrolet Impala after the vehicle was impounded. The temperature gauge, gas mileage and the turn signals were inoperative and the radiator hose had burned against the battery. The consumer found that the wiring system was changed. The consumer also found missing components such as a fuse and a huge hollow area due to the missing fans.

- Madras, OR, USA

Jan 102005

Impala 6-cyl

(1) cooling system failure, temp gauge not working, check engine light, cooling fans running continuously (2) improper engine operation, roadside stoppage (3) reset connection on coolant sensor, system returned to normal operation. I'm not sure there was any correlation with the sensor connection. The computer reset itself after a few minutes and all conditions returned to normal.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 202004

Impala 6-cyl

I would like to report a possible defect with GM/Chevrolet's electrical system or body control module, which disables my car's directional signals (e.g., blinkers). I have had this problem for several months and took it to the dealer, who told me it was an electrical problem with the body control module (BCM), which needed to be replaced. They replaced the BCM with a new one, but the directional signals still do not work.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Jun 232004

In less than one year the vehicle's catalytic converter converter had to be replaced. The oxygen sensor may have been the caused of the failure. The driver's information center stoppedworking, the passenger side window shattered and the oxygen sensor needs to be checked again.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 032004

Car would start but none of the gages nor the radion or any of the electronic components would come on. Shut it off wait a few minutes and it would work again. Happened many times, got it "fixed" started happening again a month later and was again "fixed" but with a different remedy so far shelled out 700 dollars for a car with sixty thousand miles on

- Green Bay, WI, USA