8.1

2. replace ignition switch (8 reports)
  3. replaced bcm unit and passlock sensor (4 reports)
  4. install remote starter to bypass security system (3 reports)
  5. reset passlock in 15 min. (2 reports)
  6. check ground wiring and clean battery posts - will fix bcm (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 022013

Impala LX 3.8L

Engine wont turn over at times. SHAME ON YOU GM Take responsibility and address the issue of the passlock security system . Train your service center employees to do the bypass of this system on your DIME and make this problem right for all Impala owners.

- , Romulus, Michigan, USA

May 252012

Impala LS 3.6L V6

Car worked great for first 10 years, then starting this year it's been one problem after the other. Replacing the ignition switch was just one part. The shifter broke. And now the blower motor resistor needs replacing. Three (3) major problems in about six (6) weeks. GM should be forced to make these repairs because they are known issues for most models of each car. I loved my car but now I'm afraid of it. I can't afford to keep it and I can't afford to trade it in.

- , Ashland, VA, USA

Aug 202012

Impala

I'm so glad to see that its not just my car! Has done security thing since I got car four years ago. I called dealership about it and they gave me "The Instructions" what they don't tell you is you can't open doors while doing your time or else you have to start all over again. So unless you wanna crawl out your window you gotta wait the ten mins. Also if it don't start after that just turn it over again and it should start. I have noticed that extreme temps seem to aggravate the problem more too. Other than this frustrating inconvenience my car has been great to me.

- , Springfield, MO, USA

May 152012

Impala LS 3800

I need to know why I have to keep losing off the electrical harness every time I drive the car for a little while.

- , Deltona, Florida, USA

Mar 012012

Impala

ARRGGH I've tried all the drop down methods to fix the impala.. and still nothing..

- , Newtown, PA, USA

Nov 162011

Impala 3.8L V6

i try to start the car and it acts like the battery is dead but it wont jump start. ive replaced the battery and that didnt fix it. i let the car sit and it finally starts. sometimes this takes up to 3 days. very inconvenient. from what ive read and heard from other people who own the same make and model, this is very common. it seems that chevy would recall the car since every one they have sold eventually has this problem. i know ill not own another chevy. hey should be sued

- , Crossville, Tennessee, USA

Aug 252011

Impala LS 3.4L

The car would not start but yet I had lights. Waited about 30 minutes and it started up fine. I am so leery about driving this car.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 042011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

I agree with all of you!!!! I have figured a simple solution as a temp fix. There is a fuse panel on the inner driver side. A 10 Amp ignition fuse-if you remove the fuse for 10 seconds and replace the car will automatically start. At least for me. But I will try the remote starter to fix the problem permanently.

- , Eldon, Missouri, USA

Jun 232010

Impala V6

I have tried just about everything to get the car fixed. Apparently, it's a Chevy-wide passlock security system issue. Why hasn't Chevrolet issued a recall? I bought my car used, but that is no excuse. At first, it just wouldn't start at random times. Now, it is shutting off WHILE I AM DRIVING IT and then won't start for hours, if not days. All the "quick fixes" have been done, but it seems to be getting worse. I will NEVER buy another Chevrolet car if this is how they show appreciation to their loyal customers.

- , Pontiac, MI, USA

Sep 122010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Car won't turn over due to security system. Sometimes it helps to use the remote key entry to unlock the doors and then it will start, but not always. What is the proper procedure for all of us to complain to GM?

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 192010

Impala 3.5L V6

DO NOT PIECE THIS PIECE OF JUNK! Bought this car 3 weeks ago in early July. Seemed fine and got it for a good price (no wonders). At first the passlock light thing came on randomly but I didn't care too much. Next I noticed the fuel gauge was not working properly, always reading as if the tank is full. Nearly ran out of gas one time! Next, everytime I would start the car there would be this "ticking" sound and the lights flashing from anywhere between 5 seconds to 2 minutes, absolutely random thing. I thought oh well, not a big deal, as long as the car works fine. Oh and the remote lock wouldn't work either, thought it was just the battery that needed to be changed but no, didn't work.

Then 2 days ago I parked in the city center, came back an hour later and the car simply didnt start at all! No engine sound or nothing, simply no response when I'm turning in the key. The radio wasn't working but except that everything else seemed to be fine. Ah and the low fuel light came on and the battery light and the car fix light, all together blinking in a row. Battery is in good condition and I really doubt it has anything to do with the starter. I tried the 10 minutes thing, not sure if I tried long enough but anyways nothing work!! Got the car towed to the garage and they've had it for 2 days and still trying to find the problem.

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK. WILL NEVER EVER BUY AGAIN AN AMERICAN CAR! THEY CAN'T EVEN BUILD ANYTHING DECENT! CAN'T BELIEVE GM ISN'T DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WANT MY MONEY BACK!

- , Vancouver, BC, Canada

Nov 072008

Impala

I had the same trouble as everyone else. The car wouldn't start for 10 or 12 minutes at a time. A dealer put in a new BMI sensor thing in for 500 bucks. It worked for about 4 months, then the problem was back. I finally had a remote start installed about 8 months ago and this has stopped the problem. It cost about 200 dollars.

- , Redford, MI, USA

May 202010

Impala 3.4L

I started having trouble getting my car to start. I would turn the key and nothing and then all of the sudden it starts. One day it would not start at all when I was leaving work. I kept trying to start and nothing. The battery ended up dying. I got a jump and all the lights were flashing where it says security and low fuel etc. I brought it to a garage and left it there a few days and it started no problem when it was there. I replaced the battery because it was 6 years old but it tested fine and the alternator tested and fine and the starter too. After replacing the battery I didn't have the problem for a few days but it came back.

I found this site and tried everything like waiting 10 minutes and locking and unlocking the doors to reset the computer, sometimes it worked but sometimes it didn't. I went to a Chevy dealer to ask them what they think it may be because most of what I read on hear led me to believe it was the ignition switch or the computer. The dealer said if it was the computer the check engine light would be on and it was not. They said it was probably the ignition switch. I considered getting a remote start to bypass the security system but they said as soon as I would put in the key it might stop.

I also was having a problem with the digital shifter. I had the problem last summer then it went away but since it has been warm it came back. While I was driving the D for drive would not be lit like it was in Drive. Sometimes it would do it Reverse or Park. It still would shift fine. When I would shift back to Park the doors would not unlock like they are supposed to. Sometimes when I went to unlock the doors with the remote the drivers side door would not unlock. If I moved around the shifter it would light back up like normal. It would make a clicking noise when it was not lighted up properly and if I tapped on the brakes it would make the clicking noise until I moved the shifter until I saw it was in (D) lit up properly. Well I figured the no start problem may be linked to this and I was right. When I went to start the car it was not lit up in Park so it would not start. If I moved the shifter around to Neutral or back to Park until I saw it lit properly it would start without waiting. I think the problem is in the transmission linkage. If you have a problem starting the car turn the key to on but don't start it, look at the digital shift display, if it is lit up properly it will start in Park or Neutral everytime.

- , Naugatuck, CT, USA

Jun 132010

Impala 3.4L

my 2001 impala stalls when im in slow traffic or at stop lights..at first i thought it was the transmission fluid and filter..since it was time for that to be serviced..i had that changed.but it randomly stalls continuosly..ive had so many other prblems with this car..for the last 6 months its been in and out the shop..this car does weird things...when its cool outside..it drives perfect..but as soon as the temp goes up..its seems like the gates of hell has opened..all the problems ive had with this car was during very high temps...on hot days..it wouldnt crank...as soon as the sun goes down..it cranks with no problems..no problems in the morning or night when cranking only in the middle of the day...two weeks after having the bcm replaced..it cut off in the middle of the highway..with no warning..fuel pump went out..replaced that ...ive spent on the average one thousand dollars in 6 weeks on repairs with this car..i understand that cars will have problems..but ive never experienced them as common as i have with this car

- , Albemarle, NC, USA

Jun 012010

Impala 3.4L

The ignition system on these vehicles (many gm vehicles have this) consist of a system that measures a resistance. There are several values that this can be pre-set to. If a conector add too much resistance or there is some other change in value, the system thinks it is a theft attempt. The real fix for this problem is to get the module box used by remote start systems and install it. You will have to adjust the resistance of this unit to match the car. Once installed the problem will never come back. If you purchase the factory boxes to fix it you spend more and it comes back again.

- , Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Mar 062010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

The Security warning on the computer display comes on almost every trip over 20 minutes. The car won't turn over fairly often when the outside temperature is above 60. In the winter the problem is rare. The Security warning flashes for 10 minutes and then goes solid. The reset procedure I got from GM has worked every time, but it's still a pain. I had the BCM replaced once before. It fixed the problem for about 3 years, but now it's back. I'm going to try to find a used module at the junkie and replace it myself. Anyhow the GM reset procedure is (and this only works after the Security lite stops flashing): 1.) Turn off the ignition 2.) Turn ignition on (but don't try to start yet) 3.) set the parking brake 4.) Open driver door 5.) Using the keyless entry remote, lock the doors 6.) Useing the keyless entry remote, unlock the doors 7.) Close the driver door 8.) Start the car. Sounds ridiculous but this procedure has not failed yet.

- , Randoph, MA, USA

Mar 012010

Impala

I have the same problem as everyone else, except when I took it to a mechanic he said it would cost $875 to change the ignition switch. (the part I can buy online for under $10) I said no thank you. I'm glad to see everyone's advice on here and I'm going to try everyone's suggestions. I'll let everyone know what ends up being the best solution.

- , Sudbury, MA, USA

Mar 172008

Impala 3.8L

Just want to add my experience with all the others for a 2001 Impala that will randomly not start. Ours seems to be worse in summer than winter. Two mechanics, including dealer have no idea. One other customer suggested praying, which seems to work for us better than anything else.

We like the car except for that. there seems to be enough of this complaint that should earn consideration by GM. Glad I have a Ford pickup as a standby.

- , Rigby, Idaho, USA

Jun 262009

Impala 3.4L V6

I am the original owner of the 2001 Chevy Impala and take good care of my vehicle. I get all scheduled maintenance performed, and the car is in a garage when not in use. In the early spring of 2009, I noticed that on occasion the car would pause slightly when I first get in to start it. Then in late June, one day after work, my car would not start at all. I called my husband from my cell phone to let him know and while I was talking with him, I tried to start the car again and it did start. The next morning, the car started, I drove to work, but that afternoon, it would not start again. We purchased a new battery for the car and for the next 4 or 5 days I had no problems other than the remote keyless entry fob would not lock or unlock my doors. About the 5th day after purchase of the new battery, the car failed to start again. I took it to a local garage only to find out that it was a computer problem that only a dealer garage can fix. So now GM has a captive audience, as I can only take it to a dealer!! So off to the Chevy garage I went and after $408 and a new computer in a car with only 50,000 miles, I am not a very happy GM owner. The expense I have put in to this car over the past 6 months and 4,000 miles is mind boggling. GM has lost a customer as I will not ever buy another GM product.

- , Meadville, PA, USA

Jan 152009

Impala 3.8L V6

Having a problem with my impala not starting. Turn the ignition and the starter clicks. Turn the ignition over 15-20 times and it starts. Battery has full amps and is only 3 months old. I believe it the ignition contacts but not sure...any ideals. also getting a low coolant level warning but coolant is not low.

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada