8.1

2. dealer changed the ignition switch (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

May 022012

Impala V6

So i see i am not the only person with this annoying ass problem. I bought my impala after my previous car was totaled by a friend. I loved it at first; it drove smooth, gas milage was fair, and i didn't have a note. What else could you ask for as a 24 year old grad student with barely enough money to get by? A couple months after having the car i come out and the thing won't start but all the lights come on, ac works etc... decided to have it jumped and it worked so i shrugged it off as a glitch or something. As some others have noted; i noticed a security light on while i was out running errands in the Texas heat. Went in to a store, came out and the damn thing wouldn't start. Took me 30 minutes of just turning the key for it to finally come on. Didn't have the problem for months until i get ready to leave work one night and the same thing happened.... Now it has become a once a week thing and sometimes a twice daily thing. As of yesterday i have almost lost it with this vehicle. I had to leave it over night at work and i work at a damn chevy dealer! I have put way too much money into this car and i have no more to GIVE because that is what i seem to be doing everytime itis supposedly fixed.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Mar 062012

Impala

MY 2001 HAS THE SAME ISSUES STARTING. SEVEN MONTHS INTO THE CAR HERE WE GO. SECURITY LIGHT/NOT STARTING STRANDED AT 1AM AT WORK. NEXT CAR WILL BE A TOYOTA...

- , Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Jan 212009

Impala ES 3.2L V6

this has been a real pain and i hope this is a recall or a lawsuit because it has made us late for work, getting our kids to school not to mention if this was your only way to get away from someone trying to rob our kill you the damn car will not start to get you outta harms way! It started about jan 21st 2009 i think hell who knows, but has been on and off even now after i took it to the auto parts store, mech, everyone i knew and it's dec 2011,so i changed the ignition switch,relays,battery ,and the 4 ways and it still does it. I did see that after about 10 min of this b/s i could flip the key over and it would start, but if anyone could help i would as well as everyone else with this prob would be so grateful cause like others i like not having a car payment i just want the crazy thing to start when i say i wanna go. Thanks for this site and hope to have so good results from this page :)

- , Denver, NC, USA

Feb 252005

Impala LS

Well when you go to start the car it won't turn on, just flashing security light blinks. Then you have to wait sometimes up to 3 hours for it to reset itself. It's such a hassle. I have read on every website possible that now seems to be a Chevy PROBLEM!!!! I have replaced the housing , tumbler wires and still doing the same thing not starting!! I have replaced the battery and still nothing. Who has time to wait for the car to start!! This car runs as though nothings wrong with it. I had dealerships look at it and say nothings wrong. HOW CAN THIS BE, SOUNDS LIKE A BIG DEFFECTIVE PART!! SUCKS!! CAN SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS OR A SOLUTION TO FIX THIS PROBLEM>>??

- , Denver, CO, USA

Mar 112011

Impala LS 3.8L

I brought this car last summer from Best Motors of Hollywood,FL Ever since i brought this nightmare it's been pure hell. first i got ripe off with the price the dealer said he had a mechanic on duty to fix the ABS And Taction System on the car and they only jury rig the problem.The car continue still have this problem and now the ignition switch is now going.I have to play with the ignition until the car start and this very annoying.Then found the car had a recall on the wiring retainer.Had to have the radiator replace the had leaves all in the door like it was cover up somewhere.It's a nice car when it runs but when it break downs it breaks down.

- , Miami Garden, FL, USA

Dec 082010

Impala

This lemon of a car has randomly not started ever since we purchased it. Of course, every time someone looks at it, the problem never happens! And it always decides not to start when you have somewhere important to be. This issue has made me late to work, my husband late to meet business clients, left me stranded at the grocery store with 2 small kids...the list goes on and on. With this problem in addition to the gas gauge, turn signals, and thermostat problems I am fed up with this car! If I had the money I would dump this car in a heartbeat!

- , Ashland, OH, USA

Jun 062007

Impala V6

We all know the problem. The car won't start because of the anti theft system. It seems that this is a fairly common problem. I have also read that 2001 chevy malibus have the same problem. It used to be annoying because it happened infrequently but now it's happening several times a week. I'm not really sure why they haven't recalled this with so many people having the same issue. I'm getting ready to go to the dealer and see if they can disconnect the security system. It also used to start from turning the security on and off but, lately I have been letting the battery drain and then jumping it. ahhhhh

- , Mount Clemens, MI, USA

May 222008

Impala V6

Hey y'all...I've just read a few of the comments about the security light coming on and the car not starting...it was Memorial weekend back in 2008 I was going to drive my car down to Miami for a Reggae concert lol...but luckily I didn't...ended up leaving in my apartment complex & rented from Alamo...but yeh it was going on days leading up to the holiday weekend....I didn't know what it was...a few times when I tried to leave for lunch or to go home after a long day's work, it acted up & I gave it a few minutes then started again & it came on...but that day, it really wasn't trying to start....the Chevy/GM dealer is a few minutes from where I live so I drove there, left the car with them...I'm thinking I might need a battery til the mechanic was like it's the ignition that they have to replace...so they replaced it & gave me a 10% discount & I ended up payin like a lil over $400...they cut a master key for me, so on 1 side it's the original key & the other is the new key for the ignition...

since then it's been fine....right now I'm sitting at 166K miles and I'm at the mechanics now lol...because my security light came on the dash yesterday & this morning...my gas gauge & hot/cold gauge is doing their own thing...when I turn on my a/c the radio cuts off lol...I don't want to play the guessing game when it comes to gas...so hopefully it's no biggie & I could go back to my cozy bed before I go to work at noon lol...

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Impala ES 3.8L

I am like several other owners of Impalas, I love my car, but, for no reason at all my car will not start, As others, my battery is fully charged, the lights work, horn works, electric windows and so on, but for some reason every once in awhile, sometimes everyday more than once, sometimes once a month. I will get into my car, and nothing. I was told that the antitheft was a problem, I had it by passed. But still, it does the same. The security light flashes, the battery light flashes. I have to sit and wait until it decides to start on its own, it cannot be jumped. The car does have a mind of its own.

- , Piney Fork, OH, USA

Aug 102004

Impala

I purchased my 2001 Impala brand new in Sept of 2000. I do not remember approximately when this problem started. I think when the car was two or three years old. (maybe sooner). The security light will come on and within a week the car will not start for 10 min up to 21 min. I have two jobs and if this happens on the way to my night job I am late and have the chance to be fired. I have to leave the car running when I do errands to prevent this from happening. I called the dealer and they said they never heard of a "security " light message. Finally, I brought the car in and paid the dealership $605.00 to fix the problem and after one month it started happening again. They wanted another $475.00 which I do not have. I paid $21,000 for this junk and will never buy another Chevy product. I would like the problem fixed for free and get reimbursed for the money I already spent. This car has caused me much anxiety.

- , Norton, MA, USA

Aug 012009

Impala 3.8L

I am so sick of this car, the only reason I still have it is because I still have a note. Sometimes I can get in the car and go and other times a Security Light comes on and delays the start for about 15-30 minutes. I think there should be a recall since GM knows about the situation and the costs should not be absorbed by the consumers.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 012009

Impala 3.4L V6

Last year around June 25, it was really hot & humid. I went to start the car and nothing. After about a month of trying the 30 minute wait and reset thing I put a new BCM in the car. Never had a problem until now. Seems that when its hot and humid the system malfunctions. I like the car a lot but when this stuff happens, it makes me want to light a match ! Any suggestions ?

- , Mt. Pearl, NL., Canada

Jun 082009

Impala

POS car! The newest car I have ever owned and it's a bigger piece than anything I have ever had!

- , Ishpeming, MI, USA

Apr 112005

Impala ES 3.4L V6

Ok back in 2005 I had the electrical problem, so I went to the dealership and it cost $125. They told me that using burnt CD's is what caused the electrical failure. So we stopped using them, and now today, I went to the bank and when I went to start my car and it wouldn't. I am so pissed - here it is, pouring down rain and I had to walk back to work and now I am soaked. After reading all the comments, Chevy needs to fix this. I am for sure buying a Honda the end of this year. I hope when I get off of work it will start but who knows. I am so upset. I am broke, have two kids, and just got this job. What the hell am I going to do with a p.o.s. car and no way to get a different one?

- , JONESBORO, GA, USA

Dec 172008

Impala LX 3.2L

WTF come out one day car works great next day security light comes and wont start. I have a job and my job has a starting time I cant sit around for 45 min. why your F*cking car plays the blinky light game..... I think you make you cars to smart for its own good....... ITS BUILT LIKE A ROCK... NOW I NEED A GLACIER TO MOVE MY ROCK...

- , Macungie, PA, USA

Sep 042008

Impala V6

Well, the good news is I feel better after googling this problem and finding this site. The bad news is that there isn't a simple fix, or a reliable one it seems. Count me in for a class action lawsuit. I have been dealing with this for about a year, thinking I was crazy. Each time the car has finally started, after doing many of the things described in other complaints here. Today my wife was stranded and called me. She finally got the POS started, but said "I will never drive the this car again", followed up by, "this car is dead to me!".

Okay, I am laughing now. Maybe I should be crying, as we have a 2005 Impala too, and I now know what to look forward to.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 142007

Impala 3.4L

I have had a 2001 Chevy Impala for five years and for the pass year or more I have had a problem with it not wanting to start sometimes. At times when it starts, the Security Light will come on and stay on until I cut the car off. Usually the same day this happens or the next day the car will not start. When this happens the Security Light starts blinking on and off. I have a small battery charger called a Mighty Might and I hook it to the battery and let it sit there for 10 minutes then the Security Light stops blinking and the car starts. This is soooo annoying. Sometimes the car clicks, the signals stop working, the temperature gauge doesn't work and the air conditioning stops. I had a mechanic check it out and paid for things to be fixed but the same problem still happens and he has no clue what is wrong. I want to trade this car in but it's really nice not having a car payment. What should I do?

- , Newport, NC, USA