2.9

2001 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 152009

Impala

2001 no-start situation similar to hundreds of others that are posted on the internet for the 2000-2003 Chevy Impala & Malibu (there may be other model years with similar problems). The car will not crank when the key is turned to the start position. No noise when this happens but sometimes security light will come on. It is an intermittent problem that we've spent over $1000 trying to resolve. It occurs with no rhyme or reason and has put our daughter in dangerous situations. Car always starts eventually and it seems that it's just a matter of waiting a range of 10 minutes to 2 hours. Always a pain in the butt but sometimes a safety issue with bad weather and other factors. Local GM dealer not too concerned about our problem and GM corporation doesn't seem to care either. Maybe NHTSA can get gms attention to resolve this problem because it's obviously affects many people.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Dec 312007

Impala 6-cyl

While jump starting vehicle intake manifold explodes. No start condition.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Dec 312007

Impala 6-cyl

While jump starting vehicle intake manifold explodes. No start condition.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 012006

Impala 6-cyl

2001 Chevy Impala engine, radiator and battery replaced. Consumer had the vehicle fixed at her own expense because GM would not help her out. She stated that the transmission went 3 months after the engine. The power switch and side mirror was replaced.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Sep 082007

Impala

My daughter was in the market for a used car. She found a car on the website fo city auto auction of Chicago, priced at $1500. We arrived at the auction and inquired about their bidding process. I was told to read and sing the bidders paddle. We inquired about the car listed on the website and was told it was no longer available, but we could bid on another like car. We bidded $2800 for a 2001 Chevy Impala. I asked the salesman if we can see the car for inspection. His insisted I put a $600 down payment to hold the car. I did. We waited 3 hours before they called us into the office. They presented us with a bill of sale totaling $3858. I asked for an explanation of the charges, and to see the car to determine whether there were any defects. The owner became irate and told me, they didn't have time to explain to me the charges, he called security and I was asked to leave. The following Monday, my daughter went back, I was to meet her at the dealership. She asked if she could inspected the car. She was told she had to pay the remaining balance first. She did. The servicemen brought the car out, locked the door and refused to answer any of her questions. Needless to say the car had no radio, no rear view mirror and was knocking. I had her bring the car to me. The car began to sputter and would not accelerate pass 50 mph. She continued to drive, the car then slowed to 10 mph. She eventually got the car to my office, where it died, and would not start. I called city auto, talked to Mr. Al, who told me the car was sold "as is" and there was nothing they could do.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 172003

Impala 6-cyl

1. crank sensot failed and ran hazard lights on side of innerstate for 3 hours while GM roadside assistance sent tow service. 2. turn signals failed intermittently and operation of hazard switch would be restore them temporially. 3. replaced hazard signal switch and the old part is available.

- Mauk, GA, USA

Sep 062007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the power locks, fog lights, and power trunk release do not work. He also stated that the service engine light and low fuel indicator illuminated while driving 25 mph. The dealer will inspect the vehicle on September 6, 2007. The current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 072007

Impala 8-cyl

In the past 6-8 months, my 2001 Chevy Impala started to show the obvious signs of intake manifold leaks (sludge on oil cap, brown residue in coolant overflow reservoir, small coolant puddles on engine). At 71,000 miles I received a quote at a GM dealer for the fix...$900. The dealer said he does one a day on these GM 3.4 engines. As a side, my wife's Venture, sister's Venture and father Impala all have the faulty intake maifold coolant/oil leak. After speaking with GM, they agreed only to pay for the two bolts, a gasket and a small tube of sealant. This past week, the oil pressure light came on and I stopped the car at the next parking lot. It stalled there and never started. After a tow, the mechanic attempted to fill it with oil and run it. Within seconds it flows out the oil filter and the filter and/or filter gasket ruptures. After checking the oil pump and oil pump sensor, his diagnosis is for an engine replacement. He claims that the sludge from the antifreeze has built up, and a cam bearing has been damaged, rendering the engine irreplaceable. I currently have, multiple options, the cheapest of which is $3,500. We are a GM family, my father retired from GM. Why can't GM face the faulty design flaw of the manifold gaskets and coolant problems?

- Oregon, OH, USA

Aug 122005

Impala

Low coolant light stays on - replaced first time low coolant light stays on - replaced second time.

- St James, MO, USA

Oct 282005

Impala 6-cyl

Dt consumer stated the thermostat went out on the vehicle. After the vehicle was shut off the engine made a loud noise, and the fan would run for about five minutes. The mechanic had found oil in the coolant. The lower intake gasket, water pump, and the thermostat were removed and replaced. The mechanic stated when going from warm temperatures to cold temperatures the engine cooling system malfunctioned. Updated 11/16/2005.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 012005

Impala

Problems with the wiring system on the 2001 Chevrolet Impala after the vehicle was impounded. The temperature gauge, gas mileage and the turn signals were inoperative and the radiator hose had burned against the battery. The consumer found that the wiring system was changed. The consumer also found missing components such as a fuse and a huge hollow area due to the missing fans.

- Madras, OR, USA

May 052005

Impala 6-cyl

I have just purchased a 2001 Impala from dealer less than a week ago (4/29/2005) and I took it to the dealer today for some maintenance. The dealer told me the intake manifold is leaking antifreeze into the engine and it is quite serious. I have checked some online discussion groups and there seems to be a lot of complaints on this issue. It seems like this is a common problem on the Impala. I think GM should issue a recall for this issue and reimburse my cost of repair.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 152005

Impala 6-cyl

I have two GM cars both 2001 my Grand Am I just changed the manifold gaskets and the head gaskets, now my Impala also needs the same gaskets changed maybe there is a reason for this defect. I do not think that it possible to change these gaskets after four years. My Grand Am was covered my Impala is not. What happens in the next four years? please respond.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Nov 012004

Impala

Manifold and pump gasket leaked. The low coolant light came on.

- Auburn, NH, USA

Jul 052004

Impala 6-cyl

Traction control light is lit when car is put in reverse.. there is no wheel spin when this happens. Also vehicle stalls at idle, whining noise on acceleration dealer says could be intake gasket leaking.. will not replace. Dealer says computer test shows no problem. Smell of anti-freeze in cabin at intermittent times. Cannot locate leak.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Aug 122001

Impala 6-cyl

Low coolant sensor has failed (4) times (beginning with the first at 35,800 miles). Dealership has flushed coolant system and replaced the sensor on each occasion. Each sensor has failed at about 20,000 mile span. Currently on fourth sensor which has failed on 5-27-04.

- Bloomville, NY, USA

Jan 212004

Impala 6-cyl

Coolant leak around thermoplastic intake manifold. This coolant leak developed around 42000 mi and is a design flaw that the dealer admits. Also dex-cool is falsley advertised that it can go 150,000 or 5 years. Most consumers aren't aware that it turns acidic and destroys gaskets and other cooling system components. I feel the coolant leak and associated dex-cool problems demonstrates GM failure to correct a known defect. Unfortunatley the consumer pays dearly right as warranty expires. GM should replace thermoplastic intake manifold with something more durable and heat resistant.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 092003

Impala 6-cyl

When the heating system was turned on there was a strong anti freeze odor within the cabin. The odor caused a burning irritation in the eyes and nose. This was caused by the heater core leaking anti freeze into the cabin of the vehicle onto the driver's side floor.

- Deatsville, AL, USA

Sep 082003

Impala 6-cyl

At 47000 miles and only 9000 of these miles were put on by me. I just bought it 5 months ago. The lower intake gasket had to be replaced. Costing me $813.37 this is a common problem in the 3800 engines. Mine is the 3400 and I'm told by the repair person that it is common in these to. Why won't GM help me pay this repair work.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 252002

Impala

Any time the vehicle is turned on message center light indicates that the coolant level is low. Consumer checked the coolant levels several times to find them up to par. Vehicle had been taken to several mechanics who could not determine why the message center light would not go off. Manufacturer and the dealer have been notified.

- Sodus, NY, USA