2001 Chevrolet Impala engine problems: intake gasket failure

Intake Gasket Failure

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

6.8

1. replace (3 reports)
  2. gm suggests a new intake gasket that is far more robust (1 reports)
  3. replace engine (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

May 152009

Impala 3.4L

Car hasn't been driven hard at all, after finding out Dexcool was causing a leak in the manifold gasket I had it fixed, after that I had the radiator flushed. Car has low miles on it and I am having several issues with the car. What happened to Chevy quality? This car has not been in any recalls and with the problems I am having it should be! Safety issues with this car, will not get another Chevy. The engine knock is getting loud and I keep up on oil changes. I've really had it with Chevy.

- , Moscow, ID, USA

Nov 012006

Impala

Noticed the coolant level was dropping, took the car to mechanic who noticed the coolant leaking out one side of the engine at the intake manifold gasket.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012007

Impala 3.4L

This Impala was a trouble-free car until coolant started leaking from intake manifold six years after it was purchased new. As with other complainants, I found that the inherent leaking of oil and/or coolant into the exhaust system (because of the earlier manifold leak) required replacement of the catalytic converter a few months later . Fortunately, the converter was replaced under the 80,000 mile federally-required warranty on certain emissions control parts. I hope the manifold repair was accomplished prior to any other damage being done to the engine and that I do not have additional problems resulting from the initial manifold leak. The Chevrolet dealers warranty their work for only one year.

- , Evergreen, CO, USA

Jul 192006

Impala LS

All GM 3400 Series Engines had this problem. It was a poor gasket design. Replacement is expensive, but adds a second life to the vehicle. If you don't get it fixed (you should be smelling coolant and leaking coolant), you will definitely shorten the engine's life.

- , Kentwood, MI, USA

Nov 132007

Impala STD 3.4L

The Impala is a great car, but the intake gasket is known by GM and simply ignored. The 3.8L got a recall, but the 3.4 did not. I had this done on both of my cars. I feel GM let me down. A known problem but they won't stand behind it. Now they hope many of the cars are resold, previously fixed, loose track of them and eventually they will not have to repair or reimburse for the loss. GM The lose for face is far more damaging than the cost of the repair.

- , Belle Vernon, PA, USA