8.4

2. replace faulty crankshaft sensor (8 reports)
  3. catalytic converter recall (a. k. a. tsb) (1 reports)
  4. replaced maf sensor (1 reports)
  5. wait 5 minutes (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 222011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

I have had the car to 3 shops, no one has been able to fix it. Replaced the BCM, ECM, fuel filter, checked the fuel pump, electrical connections to find all those points in check and working. The engine stalls and the entire dash panel quits working (fuel gauge, tach, etc). I have been told that the dash problem and stalling problem are two separate problems not connected to one another but the stalling and dash problems are synonymous. The engine would not start at times for the first 6 - 9 times, on the 9th-10 try it starts. The electric door locks quit working from the switch though the keyless remote works. I think that this is a security problem, the system is trying to shut down the car because it does not recognize the key code but everyone has told me that if that were the case you could not start the car at all. Any suggestions or fixes would be greatly appreciated.

- , Uhrichsville, Ohio, USA

Sep 022010

Impala LS 3.2L V6

I have read many other similar complaints, but no one has mentioned the computer on the car as the possible problem. When my car stalled, the time changed on the clock. Also, I have had 2 times when I shut off the car, the keyless entry would not work to lock the car until I restarted the car. I believe the computer is shutting down, not the car. How can this be fixed by replacing the crankshaft position sensor?

- , Estacada, OR, USA

Jun 062006

Impala LS 3.8L

Ok. I really thought I was the only one that had this problem. First off let me say that I got rid of that impala. 6 months after I bought it I started having the problem where I could not start the car and I would have to sit for 10 to 20 min for it to start again. It happened so often it wasn't funny. But what I haven't heard in these complaints was this; once my car was up and running I would get about a mile and then the battery and security lights would come on and the engine would die. As I was driving it would just cut off. Did not matter where I was. A couple of times I was driving on the freeway and I would get stuck. Now you are talking about dangerous. Sometimes I was able to get over to the shoulder and sometimes I couldn't make it. Thank the Lord for protecting me. I have had battery replacements, jumps, tows and everything else. I took it to the dealer twice. They replaced the bcm for about 500 and it still happened. The last trip to the dealer cost about 800. After that I got rid of it. The impala was top of the line with all the bells and whistles on it and it was my dream car but it was literally putting my life in danger. I just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who has had an experience like mine.

- , Lawndale, CA, USA

Oct 052009

Impala LS 3.8L

My 2001 impala with a 3.8 v-6 would not start after golf last Thursday, so I had it towed to a repair shop. The shop put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. The bill came to $900. I had the same problem on various occasions over the next couple of weeks and decided to look on the internet. This site popped up when I searched "stalls while driving" becuase the car started stalling occasionally while driving under just about any condition. I bought a new Crankshaft position sensor from Car Quest, installed it myself in less than an hour and haven't had any problems for about a week now. Thanks for the info. Scot

- , Clinton Twp., MI, USA

Jun 082009

Impala LS V6

Ok So yesterday I was on my way home, I was driving down hill and was about to stop at the light,I reached the bottom of the hill and all of a sudden my steering wheel got so tight I could barely move it,it was like cement was all around it it was so hard then I pressed on the break just to make sure I could stop the car and when i put my foot back on the gas the car wouldn't move AT ALL!!!!!!!!!! The battery light kept flashing. I turned off the car waited a few seconds and turned it back on and it worked totally fine. Anyone know why this might have happened??

- , La Habra, CA, USA

Apr 222009

Impala LS

Well, I'm 16 years of age, I just got my full license and now a new driver. My grandfather and I were looking around for a car to trade and we came across this really nice 2001 Chevy Impala, I thought it was perfect, for the most part - it was automatic, good on gas and it had a CD player, anyway ever since we have had it now for a 2 months, the CHECK ENGINE light has been on ever since we have had it, we ignore it as usual until the car stalled on me the other day going down a busy street in my community, Now when the car automatically turns off, there are no warning lights, nothing whatsoever, except for the AMP light which in the MESSAGE CENTER is a picture of a battery. anyway I pulled over to the side of the busy street, i put it in park and turned the ignition to OFF and it started right back up again(This has been the second time in the same week) I found this to be quite odd if i may say. Can anyone tell me why my car automatically shuts off while driving? Honestly this is starting to get annoying and dangerous! Oh and by the way, what is the CHECK ENGINE light trying to tell me? there are so many parts of the engine, how can i find the problem? PLEASE HELP ME ! ! !

- , Westville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Nov 282008

Impala LS 3.8L

For the last 8 months my car started idling and stalling at sporadically stoplights and stop signs, then it became more frequent. I changed the spark plugs and wires and problem still remained. I took the MAF(mass airflow) sensor off and cleaned it. That seemed like it worked for only a few days then back to its normal self revving up and down and stalling. About 2 months ago it started stalling as I was driving down the road no warning, no codes, no nothing. I put in in neutral and started. It then became more frequent and then when I would try to restart it as I'm coasting down the road, hoping no curves lie ahead, it would not start it would just turn over like it wasn't getting any fuel. I changed fuel filter and had Hires do a fuel service and a fuel pressure test and it read 47 psi. that's one over then what it should be :) It kept stalling and no codes would pop up so my local mechanic wasn't able to pull anything off the P.O.S. I told him what it was doing and he said he doesn't know what it could be so he hooked up his computer and he drove it about and hour and nothing happened to him, ran perfectly he said.Later that night died again next morning and now a day after that it died for the last time. I was driving down the road and it did its thing and i coasted to a stop sign, no where to pull over, and no nothing just a click, click, battery dead. Replaced battery, Starter shot, WHAT NOW!!!??? why can't anyone figure out what the problem is??? GM need to figure out what the problem is before someone gets in an accident and killed due to this issue. GET TO WORK GM DO YOUR S**T RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AROUND!!!

- , Auburn, IN, USA

Apr 102008

Impala LS 3.8L V6

i have a 2001 chevy impala with the 3.8L V6. in April the car started to surge so i put new spark pulgs,wires and fuel filter in it. it kind of help it out but in the last few month it got bad. you can drive one day and it fine the next time you get in it u my make 20 miles down the road and it will surge and after it surge it run just fine and other time it may die after it surges and it wont start so i thought it was the pump was going bad because it acted like it wasn't getting any fuel when u try starting it right away after dying.but thats not the problem because it still surging like it was.

- , Gowrie, Iowa, USA

Jul 012008

Impala LS 3800

I bought the car from a private owner in June and i was driving from work to the other side of town during rush hour traffic on the street. Go and stop, and my car stalled out. I had to push it out of the road after trying several times to start it but it would not. After about two hours the car started with no problem and it continued to stall after long periods of driving. Now i only go places in my car when they are close by home and work thats it. No more problems then but my engine light remains on. I went to auto zone and they told me nothing was wrong but i know something is!!!!

- , Detoit, MI, USA

Aug 082008

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Well, the better half's Impala would just quit running, either stopped or going down the road. At first thought it was a fuel issue, so replaced the fuel filter and did the fuel injector service and throttle body. No change. Mechanic road tested the car with diagnostic device attached. He found a problem with the MAF sensor. It was reading zero intermittently, which caused the computer to cut off the fuel flow, shutting down the engine. It would usually restart immediately. Once the sensor was replaced, the car runs like new!

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 032008

Impala LS 3.8L V6

I have a 2001 Chev. Impala LS with 3.8L v6 and have had it for 3 months. Today was the first day that my impala stalled while driving down the road at about 50 mph. I didn't even know the car had cut off because the radio was loud until the dash lit up and it felt like someone had mashed on the brakes. When this happened the steering wheel wouldn't turn as the car was shutting down. I was on a straight road and happy their was nobody behind me. The car started right back up then did the same thing over again in less than 1 minute. This is 1st time and hopefully it doesn't happen again. With only 57,000 miles on my car I am rather shocked that this happened. I searched the internet and found this website so here I am posting about my problem. I love this car but if this problem occurs again don't know what to do with the car. From what I have seen so far there is no sure fix to this problem. Will GM do anything to fix this major problem? I also noticed that the car stutters when it starts.

- , Hertford, North Carolina, USA

Jan 072008

Impala LS V6

car was stalling waiting for traffic light, driving city speed. Took to the dealer and wanted to change the fuel pump asking $740. No warning lights on dashboard. I read the complaints here and fixed with a mechanic for $200.and for 3 weeks I don't have the problem and the car is running beautiful. GM nust know about this problem and is very

dangerous to go in the expressway with this problem and should recall the vehicle.

I told the dealer about fixing the problem changing the crankshaft position sensor, they did not accepted that this was only the solution for the problem.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 192007

Impala Police Package 3.8lt

My car was stalling out on me while I was sitting in traffic and driving at highway speeds. I took it to several shops and the dealer (CHEV) and of course they couldn't find anything. I read some other posts about replacing the crankshaft position senor. I was a little iffy about spending the money on a maybe fix. But being desperate I took the gamble and purchased the part (Crankshaft Position Senor) and took it to a electrical garage shop and had them install it. Parts and labor about $200.00. And guess what, PROBLEM FIXED. Since then I have put close to 20,000 miles on the car and knock on wood it hasn't stalled out on me. So if this is happen to your Chev Impala replace the Crankshaft Position Senor, my opinion is its not a maybe fix its a sure fix. P.S: When the part was failing it did NOT produce a code (Check Engine) in the OBDII computer.

- , Sr, NJ, USA

Oct 192006

Impala Police Package 3.8lt

HELP, I own a 2001 Impala police package 3.8. and dam thing is shutting down on me while I am driving it. When I go to restart the car, the engine just turns and turns and takes forever to start again. The battery is good and all, just got a brand new trans for the car too. Noticed once in a while the dreaded SECURITY light goes on and off. Note: When the car stalled out I didn't notice the light was on. Used to happen maybe once a week, now its once or twice a day. It should be noted that I travel about 40 miles each way to work a day. It sometimes happens when I am sitting in traffic. Once it shut down while I was driving 65mph. When that happened guess what? Took forever to stop, no power brakes, and almost lost control of the car too. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! The Impala is going into the shop in the next couple of days to try to find out what it is. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS, PLEASE COMMENT. THANK YOU

Update from Dec 28, 2009: CHANGE the "Crank Shaft Position Sensor". Back in 2006 my Impala was stalling out on me every where, at red lights and at highway speeds. The vehicle never produced a code in the computer (OBDII), no check engine light. I took it to several shops and the dealer too, NO ONE could figure it out. I was ready to get rid of the car, then I read some where about changing the "Crank Shaft Position Sensor". I took a gamble and took it to a local shop. Parts and labor about $200. Well got it changed back in 2006 and guess what?? Close to 4 years and 40,000 more miles later and the car runs GREAT. NEVER stalled on me again. I figure I'd be nice and share the news with everyone since the dealer "CHEV" doesn't know what their doing with this problem.

- , Sr, NJ, USA

Jan 012008

Impala Police Package 3.8L

HERE'S THE FIX

I purchased a 01 police special from a county auction, love the car but started have same problems you all are having, probably the reason I got the car so cheap�

1) INTERMITTENT STARTING PROBLEM- "wait ten minutes thing" "reset computer thing" problem is in the ignition switch. Not the lock cylinder, but the switch attached to it. Inside the switch there are six metals contacts that resemble fingers, they make contact in a set pattern when you turn the key, the problem is these contacts are metal and when they open and close they are prone to arching which in turn creates carbon build up. Your passlock system reads the resistance from these contacts to determine if the vehicle is being stolen, the more build up, the more resistance and your computer thinks you are jacking the car. You can buy a new switch from any parts house for around $120.00, I opted to remove mine and clean the contact's myself. I removed the ignition switch from the cylinder and opened it up, as I did this some of the contacts and springs fell out, don't panic, if you can remove the ignition from the car you can figure out how to put it back together. I used my rotary tool's brass brush to clean them up, I've heard of others using emery cloth, what ever works, you really can�t damage them. I haven't had any problems since. GM claims they don't know what the problem is, SHAME on them. DO NOT SPEND ANYMORE MONEY on computers or sensors, and ask yourself how much, do you trust your mechanic?

2) STALLING WHILE DRIVING- this was due to a bad crankshaft position sensor, I purchased from local parts house for $31.00 I removed the front passenger side wheel, took off the splash guard, removed the serpentine belt and removed the harmonic balancer to access the sensor, two bolt's removes the sensor and plug in the new one. The only problem I had doing this job was my air compressor was not strong enough to remove the harmonic balancer bolt so I put the belt and wheel back on, drove the corner garage and paid the mechanic $10.00 to loosen it with his air wrench, he agreed to tighten back down when I was done. No problems since, no more stalling.

3) HARD START-I also discovered from my inspection that the fuel line quick disconnect attached to the fuel rail would spray fuel when wiggled, this could be causing the fuel to leak back into the tank and aggravating the hard start thing, never the less fuel on the manifold is not a good thing so I installed a new fuel line purchased from GM $90.00

Now, does anyone know why my passenger floor board is soaked after a good rain?????

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 092007

Impala V6 3600

The car has been in the shop more times than in my possession, They have no clue as to the problem, Chevy dealer took the vehicle and had the fuel line blown, car ran fine for one day then went back to stalling, The company that was working on the car has not charged me any more for the work being done, they have replaced almost everything, and even took the engine apart.. car still stalls everyday, They said they cant do anymore to the vehicle and have told me it is basically a lemon.

- , Wilmore, KY, USA

Apr 112007

Impala 3.4

I have about had it with this car, last year i changed the BNC module, then recently i changed the harmonic balancer, then abs sensor. all out of my pocket. now my turn signals are acting funny and the damn thing shuts off randomly. sometimes once every four months, to 10 times a day. chevy...come on.. please change your engineering culture- this is unbelievable.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 012007

Impala 3.8L V6

i wanted to respond to a problem i had with my 2001 Chevrolet Impala 3.8L V6. My car would die going down the road. It didn't make any difference as to the speed..at a redlight it may shut off, driving at 70 mph it may shut off. I had this problem since August 2007. No codes would show up to say what was wrong with my car. I felt unsafe and helpless in my situation because other drivers would not know my car shut off I feared having a wreck.. Finally in December 2007, I read a comment on this forum that it could be the crankshaft position sensor, since i had nothing to lose and a broke car, i bought one and had it put on. It did not solve my problem, but my car actually started to code when that sensor was replaced. It coded the idle position sensor, had that replaced problem still not solved, a new fuel pump, problem still not solved. Then it coded a mass air flow sensor. I had that replaced. I have been driving my car now for 2 weeks and it has not sputtered or missed a beat. My car spent 6 weeks at my local Chevy dealer. They just shrugged their shoulders. They did not know what was wrong with my car, nor did they care. A local garage owner fixed my car. He stayed with it until he found the problem and he charged me very little labor.. If your car is still not fixed, I know how you feel, I could not afford a new car, so I had to suffer until it could be repaired. I hope that my experience helps some one else.

- , Delhi, LA, USA

Oct 152007

Impala LS 3800

Daughter recently bought a 2001 Impala LS, and found it stalled while driving or slowing to a stop ( cold or hot ) - very dangerous depending on traffic and highway conditions! This happened several times each day. No code showed on OBD-II system. Mechanic did fuel injector service, changed O2 sensor, cleaned throttle body, checked idle controls and for vacuum leaks, throttle position sensor, etc. Car still stalled while driving - but could not find root of the problem. I suggested changing CPS (crankshaft position sensor) based on reading others' complaints and solutions, which the mechanic did - - it's been a week and so far no more stalling !!

- , Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Aug 142007

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Initial symptoms included hesitation starting (only if been running within a few hours and left > 10 min. turned off) and erratic idle at start. Spent about $1k replacing, fuel pressure sensors, fuel pump and both fuel lines. Symptoms have worsened, now have to apply accelerator pressure during startup to get to start. Just died while running on me the first time last night.

- , Webster, TX, USA