2001 Chevrolet Impala miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 072016

While starting 2001 Impala 3.8 intake manifold exploded causing fire. Have read of many other cases online since this happened this morning. 1/7/2016..if car had been in garage it could have been really bad...this should be a recall from GM....

- Louisa, KY, USA

Dec 042015

The ignition keeps locking out the cars ability to start. On numerous occasions this vehicle would not start after entering the vehicle. The lights would come on and when the key is rotated to the start position nothing would happen. Upon waiting for 10 to 20 minutes this vehicle will then restart. When taken to the garage to have maintenance done this vehicle never failed for them on twenty times of starting in a row. Took the car home and it sat and now it failed again. My daughter is about to be dismissed from her current job because of this constant failure to start. Lately, the time has grown. My daughter took a video of the incident and have taken it back to the dealer and they are not able to duplicate the problem. They said they had to jump it to start it and when questioned about it they stated it took them 10 to 15 minutes to gather all the equipment to get it to start. The problem would have resolved itself in that time. This is now becoming life threating as the vehicle stalls in traffic and an accident could happen. No codes are showing for this according to the dealer. This has been going on for approximately 5 months now and getting worse. In my opinion it is something to do with the ignition or security system. I hope nothing serious happens while my daughter is driving. This is the only vehicle she has for transportation. I am submitting this on her behalf.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Jun 222015

As any serious car owner, I tried to address the cheaper items such as battery replacement and spark plugs, all have been replaced twice. Slowly all the electrical applications in my car began to stop working from the blinkers, radio, hazards, cruise control, car windows, and finally the car stopped starting. I was too broke to address it then, so every early morning my car would require a nice jump start to begin the day. This Impala would not start so often that I purchased a portable battery to jump it everywhere, even as simple as the gas station. At first I thought the parasitic drain (drain on the car battery) was coming from the dash cluster/instrument panel which was in line with the complaints I have discovered on google that the BCM was causing non-starter issues for other Impala. However, once the instrument panel was replaced my radio was still not working and eventually the car became a non-starter again; therefore, I suspected the root of the issue still hand not been discovered. I explained this to Mr. Mcghee, the owner of mcghees auto shop, he did a thorough job of combing all the intricate wires to determine finally an intermittent draw occurring from the amplifier in the trunk of the car. The solution to the problem, fixing the amplifier, cost a grand total of 220$ to have the actual part fixed; I did not want to risk placing a non-stock amplifier, my specific amplifier is no longer available, in the car. However, I like other consumers continually paid to replace parts that failed as it was not obvious there was an underlying malfunctioning in a particular application that made the essential product useless.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

May 162015

As I was driving my ABS / traction control light came on at 45mph I was braking and heard this weird sound I was slowly braking and the car wasat complete stop acelarating then my car powered off.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 262015

Well I took the car in T 10am for yemms to put the chip in the key and the car still doesn't start. So I took the key to get another one made tested and there was no chip found in the key. So now what the car doesn't move so I can't take it to yemms.

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Jun 122013

Security system is always locking up I have to wait 10 minutes before I can start car... I also know several other Impala owners and this is a problem for them too.. it's a very big inconvenience especially when you show up to work late because of it... it is so much of a problem I will never buy another Impala and probably never purchase a Chevy ever again!

- Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Mar 202012

We have a 2001 Impala that's been down for awhile everyone said it was the ignition swith so we changed it we also changed the hazard switch button and still nothing and the battery wont hold a charge when it was running battery light would flash on and off.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Bought this car used and it was running fine for about a year till it got to the point that the car would not crank and security lock would pop up frequently now it almost takes an hour to crank it even if U hit the starter the stater moves but want crank the car I have spent over 4 grand on it trying to fix it but nothing works even checked fuses wires and computer box nothing looks bad cruise control stopped working awhile back too.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Jun 052009

Safety recall received from GM on 6/5/09 regarding recall #09047. Contacted dealer on 6/8/09 for needed repairs and was told that parts are not available and no eta for availability and/or repairs.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 152002

The clear coat is coming off the car. We bought the car used (Oct. 26/01) and took it to ziebart to have a protective coating put on.(Nov. 9/01) the GM protection plan was very expensive. When we took it back for its one-year check-up(Oct. 21/02),the technician at ziebart told us that the clear coat was coming off. We took it to the dealership on Oct. 31/02. The warrantee was for 60000 km (38000 miles). The dealership repaired the part that was coming off "as a gesture of good will" because the warrantee was up, but we requested that they do the whole car, as we felt that the problem would recur. "they do not repair what is not damaged." now, 7 months later, the clear coat is coming off a different part of the car. They will cover 50% of the cost of repair, but when I asked what happens if this problem recurs, I was told we will have to pay for the repair. GM Canada is playing hard-ball and backs the dealership. "the matter is closed". when I asked if there was an ombudsman, they said no and that my only other option is "to get legal counsel or go to GM mediation or arbitration." do you have a Canadian counterpart? thank you.

- Scarborough, UN, USA