7.9

1. class action law suit pending, get on the list (54 reports)
  2. pay to replace the intake manifold gasket (54 reports)
  4. replacing it myself (6 reports)
  5. general motors sells a stop leak (2 reports)
  6. replace intake manifold gasket and water pump (2 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Impala cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Mar 042014

Impala 6.8L V6

A typical repair? Why doesn't GM pay for the repair?

- , Isanti, MN, USA

Jan 282014

Impala LS 3-8

Hear this is common problem and want GM to pay for it to get it repaired. I have just bought the car and cannot afford the cost of this repair and am in a rut in my life (spare you the details). Please add me to class action suit I will always buy American cars but getting harder to buy cars period so have to buy cheap and pray

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 182012

Impala 3.4L V6

This is the second time I have replaced this Intake Manifold Gasket in this car with a POS engine. Low Coolant light comes on and its on its way out.. 4 gallons of water and 2 quarts of oil gone in 4 days.. Chevy needs to recall all poorly made gaskets and put the redesigned metal ones in there.. My brother is a mechanic and said once it blows its a degenerative problem. You'll be fixing it at least 1 time a year.. Mine only took 10 months to blow out again. This engine is notorious for it.

- , Efland, NC, USA

Mar 052012

Impala

Just can't believe such an expensive repair is not covered by GM when it's something that was caused by defective material (DEXCOOL!)

- , Portland, ME, USA

Mar 012011

Impala

March 2011 car started overheating, I took to the shop and ended up in $1,000.00 worth of repairs, intake gasket, thermostat, water pump, and cooling flush. Found that the coolant was leaking into engine, oil. Now as I am writing this 11/23/2012 my low coolant light is on and there is plenty of coolant. The temp gauge is rising. on top of this problem I have elect. issues which i filled a complaint here as well. Security light on, air bag light on, radio on but does not play. Chevy needs to recall these problems as many people are complaining and they have the BCM module replaced which is another 1,000.00 job and still have issues! this is too much!! The people that do the recalls are the National HWY Traffic and Safety Admin. Please call and file your complaints!! 888-327-4236

- , Racine, WI, USA

Mar 192012

Impala

Can't believe GM isn't taking car of this issue when it's a know issue:

Leaking coolant from a cracked intake manifold gasket is an extremely common problem on most GM vehicles made from the late 90s to

the mid-2000s. Most experts agree that the problem stems from GM's "DexCool" coolant, which reacts with the intake manifold gasket,

causing it to leak coolant.

Replacing the intake manifold gasket usually costs between $700 - $1,000, mostly labor. GM has updated the material used in the

intake manifold gasket so that it doesn't react with the Dexcool coolant as fast as the original gasket material.

- , Portland, ME, USA

Mar 012006

Impala LS 3.4L V6

Bought this 02 impala in 2003, this particular problem started early 2006, $1200 to replace the intake manifold gaskets, etc. Had to have it done again in 2010, steady stream of replaced low coolant sensors, change fluid, etc. Last GM product I will ever own. Hope they survive government aquisition, but next time I will look for a Ford product.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 162011

Impala LS 3600 V6

I inherited this car from my mom who died 9-11-12. Immediately I noticed a significant coolant leak under the car as I always pre-trip my vehicles as a force of habit. After taking it in to have the coolant system pressure tested I was told that there were two different leaks coming from the intake manifold gasket along with a small leak in the radiator. I replaced the gasket and radiator and was also advised NOT to use the Dex-cool because it "plasticizes the gaskets" and that their is a class action law suit against GM because it has been proven that Dex-cool destroys gaskets and causes leaks. They returned the coolant to the standard green stuff. I must say, I think this vehicle is not a bad vehicle and I have owned at least 30 GM vehicles in my lifetime. I do however, believe the Dex-cool is the culprit. The mechanic also replaced the head bolts, cit

- , Clovis, CA, USA

May 272010

Impala LS 3.4L V6

Well hello everybody that has a 2002 impala. It really sucks that I cant depend on this vehicle, cause i thought this rig was one of the best quality vehicle that were ever made. I guess I was fooled. I am having the same problems that everybody is having. Intake manifold gasket leaking, shocks makes an awful noise, transmission is not wanting to change gears, low coolant light stays on since i got the car. I have to say the 1964-66 chevy impala is still the best running vehicle around, that's a chevy product. I have been around impala's all my life, and I am 35 years old. But I have never seen such poor quality in a vehicle. Maybe GM should bring back how they use to build chevy products, like a ROCK.

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 092011

Impala

We were told that this was a problem with the car. We took it to the dealer a year ago with some suspicious problems. We were told that our Impala seemed okay. After heating and A/C problems this week, we took it in and were informed that we had the dreaded leaking manifold problem and the BCM sensor....the dreaded duel for these lemon cars. I will be adding the BCM as another complaint. Will NEVER buy another American made car. These jerks knew this was an issue and have done nothing about it but just crossed their fingers as they waited for the coolant to corrode the manifold gasket.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

May 092011

Impala LS 3.8L

I WENT TO HAVE NY OIL CHANGED AT MY SHOP. THEY TOLD ME THE MANIFOLD GASKET WAS BAD AND OIL WAS LEAKING ALL OVER THE MANIFOLD AND COOLANT INTO THE ENGINE.I CALLED GM AND THEY MADE ME TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND PAY 70.00 DOLLARS TO HAVE THEM LOOK AT THE CAR. THEY SAID EVEN THOUGH THEY KNOW THIS IS A DEFECT THE CANT FIX. I CALLED GM AND GOT THE RUN AROUND FOR TWO WEEKS THEY SAID SO SAD BUT THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM. SO I HAVE CAR PAYMENTS ON A CAR THAT NEEDS OVER 3000.00 IN WORK BUT I KNOW WE HAVE TO LIST EVERY PROBLEM, GM COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS NO WAY SHOULD THIS CAR HAVE THESE PROBLEMS AT 48,000 MILES CAN WE GET ANOTHER CLASS ACTION SUIT GOING. THEY DON'T WANT TO HELP YOU IN ANYWAY FOE THEIR DEFECT. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAMS COURT.MY LAST GM CAR THAT'S FOR SURE.

- , Aurora, IL, USA

Dec 032010

Impala LS 3.8L

So I have an 02 3.8 LS Impala that has had nothing but problems these past 2 yrs I think ive put more money then I should have into this car. My intake is leaking also, I replaced the water pump not the problem leak came back 3 days later. So this weekend instead of enjoying the snow I get to go play in a cold wet garage to replace intake gaskets. Oh yeah and for those who just want to do the upper or just lower don't do both will save u time and antifreeze a few hundred miles later. U can find cheap enough gaskets I got both upper and lower for 65 bucks and no labor coast just my time witch is worth money also....

- , Greenfield, MA, USA

Sep 222010

Impala LS 3.8L

Replaced intake manifold, flushed coolant to get the gunk out, replace engine oil and coolant. Fun stuff.

- , Murray, UT, USA

Feb 042009

Impala 3.6L

Since I've had this car it's been nothing but problems.....but I;m supossed to report each problem seperatley. So....the gaskets had to replaced because of all the mess this caused. And not to mention EXPENSIVE!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 032010

Impala 3400 3.4L

Well where to begin. I bought the car three yrs ago. nothing but problems. bought an extended warranty. what do you know I had a leaking intake gasket which was covered but of course they found something else wrong. It cost me $600 Then 6 months later I un hooked my battery and it made everything not work trunk,stereo. would not even turn over. It was some kinda switch BCM or something. this cost me $450. don't even know if they actually did anything but it ran so ok. My master switch for my window went out $150

Now antifreeze is everywhere. hopeing waterpump but probably intake gasket I never did like chevy growing up influenced from grandpa. I guess now I know why. chevy piece of sh*t

- , Newark, OH, USA

Dec 012009

Impala V6

I'm disabled....this is my car and now I can't drive it. I don't have the $1,000 to get it fixed. I'm tired of big businesses taking advantage of the "regular guy". This sucks.... This vehicle had an earlier recall - they had to replace the stereo system TWICE and that wasn't even part of the original problem. I loved this car when I bought it, but I'll NEVER buy another GM vehicle again. Firsts the extended warranty we bought went bankrupt; then the dealer took it over (only for the one problem); then GM closed the dealership becuase the dealership asked for more money to operate. GM you stink! I'm disappointed, depressed and frustrated.

- , St. Charles, MO, USA

Feb 152010

Impala 3.4L V6

When it comes down to it Toyota Chevrolet whats the difference I'm fixing to go strictly Dodge or Ford I have 2 Chevrolet's both with either blown in take or head gaskets tells me how good the craftsmanship is as soon as i can get a minor fix done to this piece of crap its sold and im going to buy something else!!!!!

- , Ferguson, NC, USA

May 082007

Impala 3400 V6

From the time we had about 16,000 miles on the car we have had the dreaded coolant light on. Since then I have replaced the radiator, cooling fans( they just quit), hoses , gallons and gallons of coolant and water, two water pumps. I have not yet replaced the intake gaskets because I refuse to spend another 1000-1500 bucks on this freakin car.

- , Port Neches, TX, USA

Dec 122009

Impala 3.2L V6

It seems I have the same problem as the rest. The engine coolant low level light has been on for some time. On 12/12 we were informed the gasket was leaking and it would cost over 700 to fix.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Mar 122010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

2002 Impala LS Many problems...Replaced Mapp Sensor, Crank Sensor Over $700.00, Heated seats $1200.00, Four Hubs & bearings $900.00, A/C Condensor $800.00, Rack & Pinion replaced, Intake Manifold & waterpump being replaced now $1250.00

- , Charleston, WV, USA