2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Jul 012007

Impala

Faulty system cause anti-theft mechanism to activate intermittently during a normal start attempt. The vehicle's message indicator will flash security/battery/service vehicle soon despite having a new battery and a well maintained car with a clean history. The messages always flash together in a cycle, and is always accompanied by the symptoms below: During the above condition, the vehicle will neither crank nor start, or the vehicle will start, with the above indicators, and the radio will lock as well as the disabling of the air conditioner, heat and ability to defog/frost. This creates a dangerous driving condition whereby the windows fog dramatically, completely obstructing my view. The defect has also created a dangerous situation for me in cases where I've had to turn off the car on the shoulder of a highway and have been unable to restart it, and in one instance was subsequently grazed on my arm by a passing car after I exited my vehicle. Several mechanics have linked it to either a faulty passlock sensor, faulty BCM or bad wiring, all of which I was told should last at least the life of the engine, as it is not included in the maintenance schedule. The car has not been modified from it's original assembly and has never been in an accident or other damaging circumstance. The vehicle has also followed its maintenance schedule to a T. the problem has gotten progressively worse and more frequent (several times daily as of 9 months ago) since the initial date of incidence, but because of financial hardships, and uncertainty from representatives at several Chevrolet dealership service centers, I have been primarily using other means of transportation until I can cover what will be an exorbitant cost to repair.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Dec 012007

Impala

We are the owners of a 2002 Chevrolet Impala ls. We purchased the car new in October of 2001. It has been lightly driven and well maintained. It has had two major repairs; the first being a recall of the steering system, the second, a failure of the catalytic converter which was covered under federal law and replaced. Today, I found out that there is a safety recall for possible fire from dripping oil. That is the basic history. For about a year and a half, we have had a frightening issue with the car. You turn the key and nothing. A light that says "security" flashes three times over and over and you cannot start the car for ten minutes. GM's passlock system, which I believe malfunctions, thinks the car is being stolen. Ten minutes later, you can start the car. The problem is even in the manual for the car. GM admits that, but they say it shouldn't happen as much as I have it happen, like one time is ok, but the 5-6 times out of 10 that my car won't start is exceptional. Ten minutes is a long time with a sick child, alone in a dark place at night, in an emergency of any kind. It is a terrifying safety issue and I have read thousands of complaints all over the internet. GM offered me a coupon towards a new car. I know this is a known problem because it is in the manual and people are frightened and scared about it. This should have been a recall a long time ago since people are being stranded with a car with no fuel supply. Due to the car's computer somehow malfunctioning and thinking the car is being stolen, the passlock system reacts by cutting off fuel supply for a designated period of time, in this case, 10 minutes exactly. GM should be ashamed of themselves for having this issue and doing nothing.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Apr 172009

Impala

Passlock sensor issues. Sometimes it just won't start and then I wait the 8-10 minutes for it to reset and then it will start. Been told by the Chevy dealer that it will be about $800 to fix it. I am also having problems with the sensor in the ABS wheels going out.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 132009

Impala

Car does not reliably start. My wife has been stranded with our daughter while waiting for the car to start. Gas gauge does not work, turn signals go out without warning. There is no way to tell when or where this problem will occur. Am fearful of my wife being stranded in a bad area while waiting for the car to start. Has been happening for approx. 2 yrs.

- Converse, TX, USA

Apr 022009

Impala

2002 Chevy Impala 3.8L purchased used in Dec. 2004 w/ 65,000 miles. Where to begin... flooding in floorboards due to clog underneath windshield, three sets of rotors/brakes, clunky noise in steering shaft (replaced twice by dealership) still having same problem, catalytic converter replaced after dealership tried to charge me nearly $1000 to replace; covered by GM as harry green Chevrolet was 'unaware' of replacement policy"!" new struts, numerous alignments/balances B/C vehicle still shakes and shimmys at 60-65 mph; must drive about 75-80 mph just to keep this to a minimum! BCM replaced twice by dealer, security issues won't allow car to start for 15 mins. Each time, which is very inconvenient. Sooo many problems and complaints with these 'quality' GM vehicles, and yet they do nothing to resolve them, except hold out their hands wanting more $$$ from american taxpayers to keep on making junk! and now the newest of a long line of recalls/problems is that there is a fire hazard for leaking oil on the manifold! all of these vehicles need to be recalled due to the numerous safety concerns and consumers are sick and tired of General Motors obvious disregard for safety and reliability!

- Anmoore, WV, USA

Feb 202009

Impala

Having problems with passlock security system it has locked and will not let me start my car.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 132009

Impala

This is a pass-lock problem. Randomly the pass-lock system on the 2002 Chevy Impala I own will not allow the car to start. I wait 15 minutes and the car starts. My understanding is that this is a common problem with the Chevy Impala and it causes me lots of problems. I am late for work, late picking up people, sometimes it happens when I run errands so I have to sit in the parking lot and wait for it to reset. A huge waste of my time. The reason why I am writing today is that it just happened this morning and I have finally reached the end of my rope.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Jul 012007

Impala

There were no events that lead to this failure. With all fuses operational, I do not have any dashlights illuminated at night. I have to use my cell phone light to place over my speedometer cluster panel to view my speed, gas levels and any warning lights. This has been ongoing for a little over a year. When my daytime running lights are on, they blink constantly and other drivers think I am experiencing an emergency. If I use my interior lights, they flash like I am trying to signal for help. Same if I open the visor to use the lighted mirror. I have not had this repaired since GM will not guarantee a resolution with a repair. I cannot afford to keep giving money to GM dealerships without a repair. This is very dangerous for me at night, I cannot use my cruise control everywhere. My traction control will not disengage either.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Nov 252005

Impala

Approximately 60K miles, pass lock light came on. Dealer said it was common in Impala, would cost $1500, needed to replace computer module which runs the entire vehicle. Started having starting issues, air bag malfunctions, power door locks not working, wiper & window malfunctions, trunk opening on its own, etc. Took to mechanic, said same as dealer, has seen a number of Impala with similar problem. Car randomly does not start, airbag malfunction, and doors not working.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Jan 232009

Impala

Tried to start my car and I thought someone was after me. When I got in the car to start it, it wouldn't start. Luckily no one was there. Mechanic said that the tumbler in the key system is bad and that this is a very common problem for Impala.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 242008

Impala

When driving at night and using the "high beams, " they go out after awhile. Nearly crashed until I could slow down enough to safely stop! by moving high/low beam lever, I was able to get headlights to come back on in the low beam position. In checking NHTSA web site, found this is a problem General Motors is aware of but expects owners to pay for repair of poorly designed part.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Sep 192008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact attempted to exit his vehicle, but was locked inside the passenger compartment. The radio displayed "locked" and he could not exit the vehicle through the doors nor the windows because the electrical system failed. The representative at the dealer stated that he owned the same year, make, and model vehicle and had experienced the same failures. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle with an electrical system defect and repaired it at the estimated cost of over $1,400. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer. They replaced the key switch at the cost of $492.13 the failure mileage was 32,301 and current mileage was 32,328. Updated 020209 the windows would not roll down. Updated 02/03/09. Several components within the electrical system were replaced and the security light illuminated twice. Updated 02/20/09. The consumer was informed an intermediate shaft was needed at a cost of $300. When the steering wheel was turned, it made strange noises as if it were about to break. Updated 0423/10. Updated 04/29/10.

- Liberty, MO, USA

May 192008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. At least once a week, whenever the contact attempts to start the vehicle, the security light illuminates on the instrument panel and the vehicle will not start. The vehicle loses total power. She has to disconnect the positive battery cable and then reconnect the cable. After she waits for it recharge itself, the vehicle will start immediately or two hours later. The dealer stated that the body control module needed to be replaced at the cost of $445. The failure mileage was 133,000. *updated 10/20/08 updated 10/21/08.

- Canterbury, CT, USA

Jul 152007

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. Whenever the contact attempts to start his vehicle while the security light is illuminated, the vehicle will not start. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact has noticed the failure since purchasing the vehicle. The current mileage was 62,000 and failure mileage was 45,000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Aug 122008

Impala

The passlock seems to be failing on my 2002 Chevy Impala..74,000 miles. When I attempt to start it, nothing happens, and I have to wait 10-20 minutes before I can start it again. This has happened 3 times since March 2008.

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA

Aug 082008

Impala

On many occasions, car will not start after sitting for several minutes. This has happened since new and it has been in the shop many times to be fixed. Lots of money spent and no resolution. Leaves my elderly parents stranded and could result in major issue if in the wrong place. Someone needs to address this issue - GM is not!!!

- Washingon, PA, USA

Jul 302008

Impala

Car would not start changed passlock and still will not start. Security light is on, radio is locked and the Chevy dealership does not know what is wrong with it, they are guessing that is the BCM and the SDM but they cannot promise that it will work.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jul 312008

Impala

2002 Chevrolet Impala ls - security/passlock system problem - summer 2007 - took in to Chevrolet dealer (since out of business - palm bay Chevrolet in Florida) because security light would come on at times, eventually disabling car for short periods of time. First repair, BCM replaced - same issue two months later - ignition cylinder replaced - two months later, security light would come on again. Dealership out of business that did two original repairs for $1200 - today, security light was flashing and car would not start. Looking online, this is a very common issue with Impala from 2000 - 2005 - why is there no recall?

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jun 132007

Impala

Initially started with the engine not turning over. Full battery power, put car in N to start, nothing. Put car in emergency park to start and it did. This happened repeatedly, with no warning. Now the car starts every time. The problem now is interior/exterior lights flash like strobe lights every time I start my car till the time I turn it off, so I can't drive at night. The "security" light pass lock issue interferes with the A/C compressor and will blow hot air. A constant clicking from the relays in the passenger side fuse box. Why is it many GM dealerships across the country cannot diagnose this when consumers have brought in the vehicle for assessment. Check out the website of carcomplaints.com for more of the same issue. Fellow Impala owners; lets file class action law suit again GM to get this resolved. But sadly it will take one death or more for any action from GM. "the american way is lets do something after the fact and not be proactive to prevent".

- Danville, CA, USA

Jul 192008

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala ls. While waiting in a line, the contact turned off the vehicle and it would not restart. The vehicle had to be towed to a mechanic and they found no failures. The contact believes that the failure was due to the pass lock. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 50,000.

- Odessa, TX, USA