2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 12 of 12)

Dec 012005

Impala 6-cyl

Body control module (BCM) failed after 57,000 miles. The other computer that resides in the same housing is covered by a 80,000 mile warranty, where as the BCM is not. There are numerous tsb's that are posted concerning failure of the BCM. There are many people who have similar problems and many sources are available by researching the internet. The technician at the dealership even said that "Impala are notorious" for problem with the BCM. General Motors says that it is not covered and therefore will not cover the replacement costs of the BCM. If so many people are having problems with this year model (2002 Impala ls) then why hasn't anything been done by them. I am thankful that my car did not shut off on the highway and did so in my parking lot.

- Great Mills, MD, USA

May 012004

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevy Impala ls car stalls at highway speeds, often after hitting large bump, resulting loss of power brakes and power steering is dangerous. Full text of correspondence with GM, postings on line and search of tsb is available.

- Long Beach, NY, USA

Jul 152002

Problem with message center, security lite comes on then battery lite, then service vehicle soon, then air conditioning would not turn on, started funny, did not start turning over when I first turned the key it started to turn over about 1 sec after turning the key and started ok then. All of this happened a the same time for the first time. Prior to this I reported a popping/snapping noise when you turned the key. The chev dealer said this was normal (3 weeks prior to the problem).

- Glendive, MT, USA

Jul 012005

Headlites go dim and then get brighter, this happens off and on, by themselves.

- Glendive, MT, USA

Jul 032005

Impala 6-cyl

The rear of the vehicle caught on fire. The engine was not destroyed, but the seats were down to the wires. The vehicle had just been parked when he noticed a spark come from the rear driver side. The vehicle has not been inspected, but the insurance company states they are going to inspect it. The back windshield shattered before this, approximately three months prior. The vehicle was idling erratically before the vehicle caught on fire. The manufacturer has not been contacteed but according to the dealership they have to determine if the vehicle is still under warranty. The fire department did respond. They thought it might be because of electrical wiring. The police did respond, but did not file a report. This happened July 3, 2005.

- Conneaut Lake, PA, USA

Nov 182004

Impala 6-cyl

Both left and right hub bearing assembly have been diagnosed as loose. An independent repair shop advised that both need to be replaced before an alignment could be performed. John wigant of walker Chevrolet told me, prior to a written statement, that both sides exhibit a worn out diagnosis, but that only one side should be replaced now and that the other might never need to be replaced or it could get worse. In a written statement from john wigant of walker Chevrolet, I was informed that only the passenger side bearing should be replaced. I have had other problems with rotors that literally shook my front end and steering column during the warranty period of 36,000 miles. And the intermediate shaft has been repaired and replaced 3 times. The last time it was reported on November 18, '04 and not repaired until December 30, '04 at 53,267 miles. I have been advised that replacing these hub bearings will cost me about $1,000 to repair. I have read another complaint in NHTSA files that a same year Impala front wheel or axle fell off and caused a driver to veer off the road. I feel that the past rotor and intermediate shaft problems have exasperated this wear and caused it to be a bigger problem. I have had problems with the electrical system, speedometer cable, radio, and rear window. All have been serviced, but continue to exhibit the same problems that existed before repair or replacement.

- Franklin, TN, USA

May 012002

Impala 6-cyl

My 2002 Chevy Impala ls has had a problem, since buying it in May 2002, with the headlights dimming to the point of cutoff then coming back to full intensity in a rapid fashion. I have had the alternator, battery, belts, cables/wires checked but to no avail. I do notice that if I accelerate sharply, over 3000 RPM, the problem goes away for a while, suggesting there is a charging problem. This problem is intermittent, but is increasing in frenquency as my odo reaches 23,000 miles.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

May 092003

I wanted him to check my driver side back door because it wouldn't open very easily at times, and the window to that same door would not open at times. Also, my trunk wouldn't open when one would use the trunk release button at times. I also had him check my dimming headlights, my steering which had a jerk in it when I went around curves, clicking sound in engine and an over all check since my warranty is about to run out in 1,000 miles. Turn out-after leaving the dealer my air conditioner was humming like a helicopter, my brakes were horrible and grinding and the car feels like it has no get up and go power. I took my car to brake check after leaving because when the dealer did the overall check of my car they said I needed a front brake job. And they wanted to charge me over $200 dollars. The dealer told me it was not covered under my warranty. Well brake check took off all four tires and found that my problem was due to left and right caliper problems on the inboard side and left rear hard wear problems and wear on the outboard side. The caliper is engaging but not disengaging and caused my pads to wear out and my rotors are ate up. The pads are not worn evenly which is definitely a sign of caliper problems. Also, the dealer upon the overall inspection of my car said that my intake gaskets were ruined and leaking coolant. They said they replaced them, however I am afraid that there is further damage to my vehicle that they are not telling me, just like my brakes. Due to the fact that steve at lone star told me that it was caused due to lack of oils changes and gil said it was a problem with the gaskets being improperly seated from the factory or just a defect in the gasket. Well is this why my car has no get up anymore? my car also made a grinding sound when hitting bumps under the right front fender area that nothing was done about and my headlight problem they said was due to a faulty battery cable.

- Dobbin, TX, USA

Mar 132003

Impala 6-cyl

The car stalls on the freeways or side streets without any warnings, and I lose control the power of the car and the brakes. It happened several times and the dealers are not able to repair it.

- Glendale, CA, USA