2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 102011

Impala

Passlock system on 2002 Chevrolet Impala is defectively designed. Failure leaves owner unable to start otherwise 100% operable vehicle. Passlock device replaced in 2008 after complete failure. Passlock device failure again in 2011. GM claims nothing wrong. Issue very widespread and well known to dealers and mechanics.

- Montoursville, PA, USA

Mar 142011

Impala 6-cyl

I got my car on 03/09/2011. I have been complaining to the dealership about the issues I am having with my car. It hesitates to crank, when turning I can feel a popping feeling in the steering. Very often my signal lights doesn't come on. I do a lot of highway driving back and forth to work and this is very dangerous. When hitting my breaks the car sometimes speeds up before slowing down, which can be very dangerous. There is a shortage in the wiring. The low coolant level light stays on, even though they claim they fixed some sensor switch. They also said they fixed my car from leaking brake fluid, but the brakes are sounding worst everyday. I asked them if the brakes needed changing and they said it was fine. The car hesitates when taking off. I just got home from work and not even 30 minutes went by before I tried to leave out and my car would not crank. I have been complaining to the dealership since I got the car and they have procrastinated until the 30 day warranty expired. When calling today the dealership said that I would have to pay for any repairs because the warranty expired. When asking why should I have to pay for repairs, when I have been complaining about these issues since I first got the vehicle, the reply was they are not going to pay that any mind and I would still have to pay for the repairs.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 282011

Impala

On the ip the ignition key is not functional every once a while and it does require a 10 minutes wait in the vehicle with the key in the ignition before you can fire the engine. This issue been persisting for the last 2 years. I do wonder if this problem been experience with Chevy?

- Dearborn, MI, USA

May 192011

Impala

Car would not start. Tried about 10 - 100 times and it would usually turn over. Happening over the last year, but getting worse (car will not start right away for last three days!). everything inside car (lights, radio, etc.) is on but engine will not turn over.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 152009

Impala

My 02 Chevy Impala has issues with the starting system. I have no know electrical problems with this car except sometimes it will not start and hours of trying to start the car it starts. I even tried to short out my starter and that didn't work. It was in the middle of the summer and my infant child got very hot waiting on me to start the car.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Jan 062010

Impala

My car leaves me stranded for hours before it starts. Passlock/passkey II is the worst thing Chevy ever created. While driving the gauges go off and on; and the car shuts the fuel off. Being said my sister used my car one day and the fuel shut off, the car died, and she was rear ended. Thankfully it was a bump and she wasn't seriously injured. I'm always late for work and I have replaced the BCM, ignition switch, and tumbler. Nothing is resolved. I've been home stranded for a week, which has caused me to miss school. Due to the lack of money I am forced to withdraw from college and this is my senior year which throws my out of my internship. Chevy needs to recall this "passlock" feature and reimburse all of the people they have swindled. This is there fault and we, the consumers, should not have to pay for it. This feature allows owners to not be able to use their vehicles, and a professional thief can steal the car. Research shows that thousands of consumers are having this problem and still nothing has been done, and frankly, I do not think anything ever will be. I for one will never purchase a Chevy again.

- Ethel, LA, USA

Jan 022011

Impala

Passlock 2 system failed causing the vehicle to stall while driving. Vehicle would not start.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Dec 082010

Impala

Headlights suddenly went out while in operation.

- Westville, IN, USA

Aug 182010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle had no power when he attempted to start it. The contact replaced the battery the first time but the remedy did not correct the problem. The vehicle was inspected by a mechanic who advised that the vehicle would need a new body control module. The mechanic advised that the failure was caused by the module being burned out by the ignition switch. The vehicle was not inspected by an authorized dealer nor repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 57,000. Updated 02/03/11 the consumer was told to wait 15 minutes and then start the vehicle. The consumer stated he should no have to wait to start the vehicle. Updated 03/22/11

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Nov 102010

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Impala "passkey" system fails... no start condition, leaves driver and passengers stranded.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jan 022009

Impala

Intermittent passlock failure caused car not to start have to wait 20-30 minutes to start my car.

- Liberty Hill, TX, USA

Oct 262010

Impala

At times the cab of the 2002 Chevy Impala seems to overheat and when you try to start it all of the warning lights flash, including headlights, then it won't start.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Sep 122010

Impala

2002 Impala in the check engine light box the low coolant light and the security lights also shows and the battery light then the engine dies in the middle of traffic I have seen so many and more people with Impala in dangerous moments talking of it online could you please have Chevy correct this deadly mess got the problem fixed then it started back I do have kids active in school sports needing transportation I can not describe how being stranded in traffic makes me feel.

- Orl, FL, USA

Oct 162008

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the security system on the vehicle would lock up and the vehicle would not start as a result. The failure occurred at least once every week at any time. The contact would have to wait and keep attempting to start the vehicle; eventually, it would start. The battery, alternator and starter were replaced but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the wiring system needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 127,000. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Impala 6-cyl

Unknown reason as to why the directionals on my 02 Impala work intermittently. This first occurred approximately 4 months ago with average occurrence of once a week. Now it occurs approximately once a day. Mechanic cannot find a solid reason as to why this is occurring and cannot replicate it at the time the vehicle is in the shop.

- Green Island , NY, USA

Jan 012010

Impala

2002 Chevy Impala. The turn signals often fail to activate, creating a road hazard. Apparently a common problem on that time period Impala. Suspected a faulty multi-function switch.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 152010

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. Upon starting the vehicle and shifting it into drive she could hear a clicking noise coming from the steering column and fuse box under the engine. She also stated that whenever she shuts the vehicle off the high beams will continue to flicker on and off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where she was informed the vehicle was built with a faulty body control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 147,050 and the current mileage was 147,432. Updated 11/05/10.

- St Robert, MO, USA

Aug 082010

Impala

Blinkers were intermittently working and now not working at all. Brake lights and hazards working. Fuses replaced. See online that many people report this same problem.

- Bowie, MD, USA

May 012010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated when the security light would illuminate, the vehicle would not start. The dealer advised the contact to wait ten minutes before re-starting the vehicle, but the vehicle could only be diagnosed while the failure occurred. The dealer advised that the computer chip potentially would need to be replaced but could not confirm if it would correct the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage is 62,576. Updated 10/04/10. The dealer replaced the ignition cylinder. Updated 10/05/10

- Allison Park , PA, USA

Jun 202010

Impala

Went to work and when I went to leave the car wouldn't start- thought it was the battery and got a jump, wouldn't start. Had the car towed to auto place, and they couldn't find anything wrong, then after that the car has left me stranded and unable to get to work its shut off while driving- the security light was on, after the many complaints to Chevy- they wont assist with the repair of the pass lock security system for the simple reason its out of warranty. Its not a maintenance issue its a mechanical issue. Its also a safety issue. The car just shuts off as if someone is stealing it. How dangerous- on route 80 highway or any road for that matter, your car shuts off and your smashed from behind with cars piled up- someone will be dead andmany will be serious hurt. Or being stranded on a dark country road with no cell reception. This is a safety issue and after alot of research on this problem- GM"S response' sorry we cant help you- today Toyota recalled 412K cars, because of steering issue and was a safety issue. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda didn't need bailouts why because they stand behind their cars unlike GM- this is a big issue with hundreds of thousands of people complaining and GM as usual does nothing to stand behind their products. I will never again purchase a GM product as its a complete piece of garbage and the ones working for GM aren't any better. Let GM sink and go under, that way americans will have more reliable transportation and companies that actually stand behind safety issues with their cars. It amazes me how GM can take bailouts- to keepthem afloat but wont do anything to back their vehicles, sooner or later they will sink and they will all be sitting there dumbfounded scratching their heads wondering oh gee what happened, you didn't stand behind your cars moron that's what happened, and people went to more reliable companies. 13K for a 2002 Impala ls, guess its time to take it to the junk yard very unsafe and no peace of mind to drive the garbage.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA