2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Sep 192016

Impala

I am tired of my car not starting, especially when I need to go to work. This has happened quit a few times. I have to wait 10 min. For it to start or keep trying till it starts. I have a new battery. This has happened late at night too.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Sep 012016

Impala

My car will not crank or start..... it has something to do with the security system so I'm told...... this is a safety hazard....this happens often when I'm far away from home! I have the key but the security system still shuts the car down... this time I went in the store for 10 minutes, when I returned to go home the car would not start.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 042016

Impala

For awhile my car has been having starting problems, at random times it does not start and it takes ten minutes from the first time I turn the key to start. Recently it started shutting down (as far as dashboard functions and the motor kills) bounty for a brief moment as I am driving I noticed it does it whenever I used the turn signals and it also makes a buzzing type noise when I use the turn signals then it goes away. Now my car won┐T start at all, ive had my battery and alternator both tested and they both came back fine.

- Houma, LA, USA

Aug 252016

Impala

Security light blinks and car will not start. Have to wait 10 minutes until the light stops blinking and try to start it again.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 222009

Impala

My 3.8 is under recall but apparently dealership can't get oil leak repair parts. The leak is all over the starter now and usually it doesn't work. I need to get this taken care of. Can I get a refund if independent does the work?

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Mar 102013

Impala

My car does not make a sound when I try to turn it on sometimes. I'll have to keep turning the key from the off position to the start position several times until it finally comes on. I have had my ignition switch checked and was told it is fine. This is a very random issue being it will have today and not happen again till like 6 months and will happen for 3 days in a row. Then won't happen till the next year and will only happen for a day. It is very irritating being it has made me late for work in the past and there is no way for me to determine when it might happen again. It doesn't matter if it sat over night or if I just drove it got out and then got back in, it's just completely random.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 072016

Impala

Recall N140350. Attempted to have vehicle serviced at jim glover on the river in tulsa, ok. Was constantly told that my request for service was sent sling to their service department and I would hear from then shortly. Every time I contacted them, I wad told the same thing. No communication whatsoever, other than from their sales department trying to sell me another car. After a week of getting the run around and no communication other than "you'll be heading from them, " I'm assuming that they don't want to actually help me, since they wont make any money off of me.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 092015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 350,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 08/02/16 the consumer stated the turn signal, ac, daytime running lights, interior lights and security system worked intermittently. Updated 08/08/16.

- Holladay, TN, USA

Dec 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning, the brake pedal seized, and the contact coasted the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the security system shutdown and needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 312016

Impala

My back lights and dashboard does not work

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 142016

Impala

Car was parked I started it and began driving my ABS just went crazy. The pump was trying to engage over and over again even while driving. When I hit the ABS off button this problem continued. I feel this car could at anytime have something in the break or tire area just compeletly fail. Along with another list of issues including burning oil from the gasket. Please tell me if there is anything that can be done.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Mar 122016

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that there was oil leaking from the vehicle. On one occasion while driving, there was a odor of burning oil and then suddenly there was a fire near the engine. The front passenger was able to extinguish the flames under the hood. The driver, the front passenger and rear child passenger inhaled smoke due to the fire that affected their breathing. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Davin, WV, USA

Feb 252016

Impala

Had vehicle in shop to repair recall for oil on manifold. Within a week of that being repaired I started smelling something electrical buring under the hood of my car. We were driving for about 2 minutes when it first started, we stopped looked under hood didn't see anything but could continue to smell it. Checked fuses they were all good, checked under the car still good. Nothing oiutof the ordinary but could still smell something burning.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

Jan 082016

Impala

Security passlock not allowing car to start. Fuel regulator faulty not getting fuel to start car. Once I get vehicle started I can cut car off and try to restart, car will not start. Issue needs to be resloved.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 25 mph, the battery light illuminated. The contact drove to a stop light and the vehicle shut down completely. The vehicle restarted after approximately 20 minutes. The contact replaced the battery, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed and replaced the catalytic converter, but the failure recurred and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed and the air conditioning fans were replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The check engine light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 282015

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on several occasions. The contact mentioned that the ignition switch took a long period to turn in order to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 185,000. Updated 04/14/16

- Greenfield, MA, USA

Aug 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start while parked. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch and the park lock cylinders needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Aug 032015

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition key recall notice. The consumer also stated the intake gaskets leaked anti-freeze.

- Woodland, ME, USA

Nov 032014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several attempts. The contact stated that on several occasions the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Aug 202013

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer seeks reimbursement for lock cylinder assembly recall repairs. Updated 09/14/15

- Eau Claire, WI, USA