8.1

2. ignition security lite on, will not start. leave on for 10 (3 reports)
  3. check your neutral safety switch (1 reports)
  4. replace bc module (1 reports)
  5. replaced actual ignition switch and that solved it (1 reports)
  6. replaced cps (crankshaft positioning sensor) (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 092013

Impala LS V6 3.4

I am so happy to learn I am not crazy. I had this issue with my 2002 Chevy Impala not starting intermittently for over 2 years. It happens every couple of months. I have taken it to dealer and they can never get this to happen when they have the car and they can never offer any solutions. Starter/battery/Alternator are all fine. There is no reason that the car does this. I always say a prayer before I turn the key to pray it starts. After sitting for about 15 minutes it will start right up like there was never a problem. Was not good when it happened over this cold winter.

- , Westerville, OH, USA

Oct 262012

Impala LS 3.4L

I've always had trouble getting it to start right away if I shut it off and tried to start it immediately, but I had no engine rollover this time at all. I did finally see after several attempts to start it , It flashed battery and then security, back and forth, not the rest of the normal cycle. I then turned it off and then it started, but this was after many attempts, trying a different key, wiggling the emergency release in the trunk. I have no idea why it wouldn't even roll over at all.

- , Fairfield, OH, USA

Sep 302011

Impala LX 3.2L

Purchase this car as a used vehicle, works great most days, however it want start when we need it to. Ex: if we stop at the store and come back out to start the car, it want start for at least another 30 minutes. When the car is check out by mechanics they never seem to pinpoint the problem, the worst thing is I had the same problem with my 2006 Chevy Malibu, but after a recall on a part I told the dealership mechanic of my problem, he told me this want fix that problem, but he thinks he can help, I'm assuming he fixed the corrosion on the wires and didn't report it to me or anyone else. But I haven't had that problem since, now I just wish I could fix my college student's car,

so getting to class want be a problem anymore.

- , Hueytown, AL, USA

Aug 032011

Impala 3.4L V6

Bought the car new. On average, about once a week over the past two months it has been very hard to start. Usually it takes up to five or six attempts in a span of at least fifteen or twenty minutes to start it. As time goes on, I noticed an increasing frequency of the problem.There have been three attempts to find the problem but each time the garage computor says that there is no problem. I'm ready to switch to a different make of car.

- , Coraopolis, PA, USA

Apr 012011

Impala

After reading the same complaint from others I am glad to know that it is not just me that has this problem! Never know when this will happen, how long I will be stuck or where I will be stuck. Took to a mechanic who checked it high and low and said that he could not figure out what is the problem or causing it. Came home, did some browsing on line and found this site and the comments are exactly the same as what I have experienced and the mechanic. Like everyone else, I depend upon my car for getting back and forth to work, appointments, etc. What a total pain to deal w/this.

- , Greenwood, IN, USA

Jan 012007

Impala

After years of my son being stuck for 15 minutes waiting for his car to decide to start and having the car in and out of the shop it is now finally fixed. The car would click but not start, lights would come on but nothing. He would wait around 15 minutes and then it would start. A few times he could put in neutral and it would start others times it wouldn't, We had a friend replace several things with no luck finally we replaced the neutral switch and its started everytime now for the last 4 months.

- , Keswick, VA, USA

Jan 012011

Impala ES 3.6L

Car started once in a while making loud buzzing noise when directional signals were turned on, now thrice it has not started. Get same loud buzzing noise and key won't initiate the ignition to start the car. Twice it started after the 4th to 10th try. Once I left it and came back the next day and it started right up. All three times it had been driven and then shut off for about an hour and then wouldn't re-start up. So far I've replaced the battery and had my mechanic swap the positions of but not yet replace the relays. Mechanic says he tried to replicate noise and problem but couldn't. Suggestions?

- , St. Albans, VT, USA

Jun 012007

Impala LS 3.8L 6 cyl

this problem started 3 years ago. happened maybe three times a year but since then has occurred more often, usually about every 4-6 weeks. so far have been lucky & it hasn't been on a trip or out of town when it happened. worst was after grocery shopping with a trunk full of food. usually after 30 minutes it will start without any trouble & it runs ok until the next episode. our car does not have even 60,000 miles on it & we bought it new. spent over 100.00 but mechanic couldn't find any reason for it to have happened. the dealer wants to check it out & said would probably cost about 500.00. after reading the comments of others who are having the same problem & did have a dealer check it out with no results don't want to go that route. is there some way a recall could be made to happen. we feel really gyped after spending so much money on this car to begin with. have had other problems too but this is the most annoying as everyone says they don't have a clue as to what is causing the problem. don't want to be stranded somewhere in bad weather and am afraid to drive it out where there is not much traffic & have it parked & not able to get it started. was really glad to be able to read on your site that we are definitely not alone with this problem. Teddy

- , Grass Valley, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Impala LS

Love my car...hate the problem and the fact that Chevrolet will not admit that there is a problem nor do they have a fix for it.

- , Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Sep 082006

Impala 3.4L V6

Bought my 2002 Chevy Impala new. At just over 36,000 miles had transmission replaced.. then, my AC/HT switch quit working on level 1. AC still works on levels 2-5, so I haven't had it replaced. Estimate to fix was $387.65 because they have to buy a whole new blower motor/switch. Then just a month or so later, my engine wouldn't start have I had stopped to get gas. After about 30 minutes, it started and didn't have any more problems for a while, then out of nowhere, went to the store and when I came out, car wouldn't start. Waited about 15 minutes and it started right up. Has done this several times, and I never know where or when I'm going to get stranded. No one can find the cause.

- , Pflugerville, TX, USA

Aug 012005

Impala

first time car wouldn't crank was at gas pump after filling up in 2005. replaced some things car went for long time and didn't happen. happened infrequently for years had car towed twice and both times mechanic got it to shop it started. 2 mechanics have put it on there computers and they are baffled. it started happening very often now, it has to sit for hours before it will crank after having been driven from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. car has 244,000miles. rides good, gets good gas mileage but it is a pain in the ass. drive straight to work and straight home can't stop anywhere unless I leave it running. disgusting situation and there is no way in hell I will take to dealership, called and talked to them and they say we can fix whatever it is and act like they haven't heard of the situation.BS.

- , Social Circle, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Impala

I'm so hurt that my car is doing this and nobody can figure it out. I have already spent about $700 fixing this issue, but it is still a problem. I have heard from others that this is a common problem and it seems like Chevy should do something about it, but instead they are not.. For me it did not happen until the car surpassed 100k and the warranty was already expired. I don't think I would buy another GM car.

- , San MATEO, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Impala ES 3.8L V6

I am going to keep this real simple. I have a problem going anywhere where I don't get a headache before I even get there because I really don't know how long I am going to be stalled because of this car. I have a 2002 Chevy Impala, love the car. I have had it since 2003. When you are a female and you get stranded at the gas pumps, hospital, work, grocery store etc., it is very embarrassing to say the least. I usually have to wait for about 5 minutes before the car will crank back up. I SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE. Someone needs to be responsible for this.

- , Milton, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Impala 3.4L

WELL WHERE DO I START AT, THIS CAR HAS BEEN HELL... I GOT NEW WIRES , SPARK PLUGS AND COILS , BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY. JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING, IT STARTS WHEN THE CAR WANTS TO, THERE IS NO SECURITY LIGHT OR ENGINE LIGHT ON. I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! MY DAD IS A MECHANIC AND HE CANNOT FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. TIRED OF SPENDING MONEY ..IF ANY ONE HAS FOUND A SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW...THANK YOU

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 072009

Impala 3400 V6

Just bought the Impala at the end of October, thought it drove great. Little did I know that it wouldn't start that it wasn't the battery until I found this sight. I have clunky noise in the steering, the dealer that I bought it from said it was from sitting and would go away. Then the windshield pops as if a rock hit it. The first time it did that I thought it was going to explode in my face. Then the headlights went out and there was an 18 wheeler behind me, what a scarey feeling. I was on the side of the road for awhile until they came back on and then I never dimmed them any more. I got that problem fixed, it cost $700.00 and that wasn't at a dealer. Imagine how much it would cost at a dealer. Went to start the car yesterday and it wouldn't go, then after about 8 hours it went. I thought I was pretty good around old cars until now. This one didn't act up until after the warranty of 30 days was over. I sent the bill to the guy I bought it from anyhow. I didn't pay it and don't plan on it, I'll go to court first. This is my first GM always drove Dodge's and never had problems like this, just normal wear and tear. I just sold my 1989 Dodge 2000 GTX and should have kept it. At least it worked great and was still able to get inspected. The guy that sold me this Impala seen sucker written all over me. This will be the last GM product I ever buy.

- , Country Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada

Oct 282009

Impala LS V6

I have the same passlock problems many impala owners have. The security light will come on and the car will not start. Wait a while 10-20 min and usually it will.

I took it to a big dealer in the area, they replaced the Passlock sensor ($600) the problem seemed to go away but then started again a month or so later. They then replaced the BCM ($500) the problem came back. The dialer finally told me there was nothing they could do as the computer code was too generic (problem connecting to BCM).

They stated it was probably one of the hundreds of wires connecting to the BCM and checking them all would cost thousands and may not fix it as they are not sure that is the problem.

- , Midland, MI, USA

Jun 232009

Impala

ok now the door ajar and trunk open are coming on again and when i turn the key over it takes like a second before it starts. i still have to go out and close the trunk and then on my way. called car x today and they told me they think to fix will be 1 to 2 grand. screw that. i have been reading all the complaints and my security has not come on as of yet. i will keep in mind some of the suggestions if it won't start in the future. i also am going to look at the wires on the bcm and see if they are oxidized. its going to be a trade in. i have always been a Chevy girl, thats my family always standing by Chevy. no more i think im going to look at Toyota or Honda. its really to bad that something that started out so good turned out to be so bad. those of us that haven't been laid off from our jobs and are paying crazy gas prices to get to and from work to support our families they want us to shell out what money we do have to put a bandaid on a problem that dosen't have a guarentee it won't happen again. WTF chevy,you suck. this will be my last Chevy that i can guarentee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Covington, KY, USA

May 252009

Impala 3.4L

just filled tank with gas. while going 45 mph, loss in acceleration. picked up again then loss again, picked up again with a jerk. stopped at store, after riding down the hwy 6 miles, and car would not restart. Lights work, new trans, new fuel pump 10 mo ago. Feels like it wants to kick over but doesn't. The last place I want to go is the dealer.

Before I tow, any thoughts?

- , Coatesville, PA, USA

Mar 272009

Impala

I don't know how many miles my car had before it started rebelling and dying. It started dying on me last fall (first my husband changed a gas filter (or something like that) that was in the gas tank because the car died after months of the gas gauge not working. That day was the first day it didn't start (within a few tries seconds apart), then there were times it just didn't start, I would go to tell my husband, but when I would try again, it would start. Then about a week before it died, it started making interesting sounds when it tried to start, or i would crank it and there was no sound or dash lights and sometimes the security light was on. Sometimes if I waited a few minutes with the key in, the lights would come on and it would start within minutes. One day I got in and it didn't make any noise, there were no dash lights (but the security light (I think)), and all electrical systems were gone. We have been unable to get it in to get it fixed. I've been driving my husband's manual (I hate manuals), and he has been driving a relative's truck. My husband hasn't had a chance to look at it, but if he has a place to start, maybe he will be able to in the next few days. He's very handy when he has time, so I'm hoping he can fix it himself. Thanks to you all for the ideas.

- , Gardner, KS, USA

Feb 122009

Impala

I cant believe what I've read. I'm actually not alone. I don't know if that's good or bad. I can't believe how many others are out there with the same problem, same year and same make. And GM wont do a thing about it. Probably because it's not a safety issue. We only get stranded where we shut our car off. It doesn't stop when we're going down the road. My thoughts anyhow. Not right.

This is what's happening. When we get in the car in the morning after sitting all night it starts up. Drive it just a few miles down the road to school get back in it 1 1/2 hours later it won't start. Let it sit for 30 min starts right up purrs like a kitten. It started a few month ago, went to the gas station and got back in the car guess what? It wouldn't start. First time it happened. Called AAA before they got there it started. Thought it was bad gas. Little did we know..

It has happened many more times since then and is happening much more frequent. We can actually make it happen. We went to one auto shop they didn't know what was wrong with it. They had it for 2 1/2 days couldn't make it do it for them so they couldn't diagnose it. $130 later we walked out of there with the same problem. They put a fuel filter in it and some $90 worth of fluid in it. Fuel injunction fluid or something crazy. Anyhow I mentioned the problem to some people at my work. They said to try this guy about 30 miles away from me "If he can't find out what's wrong with it no one can".. So I tried him. He has been wonderful. He has had it for the last 3 weekends, last week for a few days longer. He has it right now. He can actually make it do it for him. He hooks up his meter when it happens and sometimes it spits out a code and sometimes not. He's looking at the BCM. He doesn't want to jump in and put it in right away without being completely sure. It costs a little over $200 just for the part. But that's what he is leaning towards doing. He has an internet site that he gets advice from other mechanics and that's been some other people's experience. Isn't the internet a wonderful tool?? Anyhow I come from a family of mechanics. My dad retired after 50 yrs and I have 3 brothers that work in a garage that they own. He doesn't know either. It is such a mystery. I think we are close. Especially after reading this site. I will share with my smart mechanic the info and he can try it and I will let you know when the problem is solved. Thanks for sharing..

Update from Oct 11, 2010: I have traded the car in. It wasnt worth the hassle. It ended up not starting every time we shut it off. We put hundreds of dollars into it and had the best mechanic available to me. Still would fix what we thought was the problem after a code would show up. And still the problem would just get worse. The only time it would start after shutting it off was when it would sit for 8 hrs while I was at work. Other wise forget it. So my advice to anyone who has this problem. Get rid of it. Because I PROMISE you it is NOT fixable..My only hope is that the right person comes along that has this problem and sues the crap out of GM..or Chevy..I'd love to see the day..

- , Whispering Pines, NC, USA