2002 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 052013

Impala 6-cyl

My son went to jump start the car and when he tried to start it the engine blew up. The intake manifold flew off in multiple pieces. Had car towed to my mechanic and found out the cylinder was dead due to the explosion. Though well the car had a lot of miles, so I thought it was just its time. So we decided to buy a re-manufactured motor because we had put some work into the car and my son and I though that would be a good choice. Everything was great with the new motor till November 30th 2014 when we needed to jump start the car, and the engine blew again this time taking out the fuel line along with the new intake manifold and the engine cover. The car starts on fire and luckily the flying parts missed my sons girl friend by inches as they flew by her.so I know now somethings up. And I find that GM had defective fuel regulators that were recalled (04V090000 recall#) on the 2000 models with the 3800 series 2 engine. Now I know why my engine blew because the fuel regulators are poor design. No car no matter how old are how many miles should blow an engine when you jump start it. Batteries yes engines I would think never but what happen to me is the same as the recall notice and I am thank full no one was hurt.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 272014

Impala

Mass air flow sensor maf malfunction if corroded or dirty will cause the engine to stall. Engine stalling causes loss of power steering and loss of brakes. Disasterous at freeway speeds, intersections, or in any situation requiring steering or braking. This car maf failed going down a steep mountain road, the driver was able to stop the vehicle using manual brake and had it towed to the dealer for repair.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Oct 122014

Impala 6-cyl

Traveling on a straight residential street after car had been driven about 10 miles and was at operating temperature, I heard a short "chirp" sound from the front passenger side of the car at which time the engine stopped running. Steering became very difficult and the brake pedal required substantial force to stop the car. I was able to bring the car to a stop and put the car in park. The engine restarted immediately with no problem. I was not moving or touching the key at the time that the engine turned off. I have owned the car since it was new in November 2001 and this is the first time that I have experienced this problem. I have driven the car about 20 miles since this incident and it has not recurred as of yet.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Mar 042013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted after numerous attempts. An independent mechanic replaced the motor, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 092014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving with my son and the car just cut off in the middle of the street. Thank god we didn't get hit. The car cut back on but that was scary. It (the car) also has some type of security feature that won't allow the car to start at times.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 052014

Impala 6-cyl

The car was constantly stalling in low speed or starting from a stop in D drive. The transmission was not shifting properly. Car had stalled a few times in traffic, becoming a hazardous situation. Car was overheating. Car had been serviced a week ago at aaa repair center, eatontown, NJ for oil leak from gasket of the manifold.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, smoke was seen from under the hood and the vehicle caught on fire. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was not diagnosed to determine the cause of the fire. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 229,000.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Jul 072014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle intermittently failed. In addition, the contact was driving approximately 35 mph when the service engine soon warning light illuminated and the A/C system failed to activate. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/18/2014

- Macon, MS, USA

Jul 092014

Impala

Model years affected: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 engines affected: 3.4L V6, 3.8L V6 average mileage: 108,315 mi (13,756 mi - 198,000 mi) verified the intake manifold gasket can develop external engine oil or coolant leaks. In some cases the failed gasket will leak coolant internally. The manifold gasket will need to be replaced to correct this issue. Thousands of cars are affected. These vehicles need to be recalled and fixed.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Apr 112014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and when I came to a stop to pump gas I left the keys in the ignition I placed the car in park. I turned around to place the pump into the gas gauge and my car was rolling down the hill and I had to chase the car open the door and stop the car. When I got the car to a halt position. I tried to take the key out the ignition and couldn't get the key out the ignition. Once I was able to get the key, the key slot was turned at 3:00 position and not a 12:00 position when a key is removed from a ignition. After the key was removed the car started to roll again and I had to place the "emergency brake" on to keep the car from rolling. Once I tried to turn the car back on after pumping the car started up and I placed it in drive pressed the gas pedal and car stalled, I placed the car in reverse and pressed the gas pedal and the car stalled. My car has not worked since.

- Indiianapolis , IN, USA

Nov 272013

Impala 6-cyl

My gas gauge stop working and I was not able to tell how much gas was in the vehicle. Fuel gauge read inaccurately. I would put gas in the car and fill up tank and barely drive more than 20 miles and the fuel gauge would indicate "empty". I was told by penske that they were unsure as to what would cause this issue and that I wouldn't be able to get the issued repaired. I have ran out gas several times since the first incident.

- Indianapolis , IN, USA

Sep 232013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, several lights illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician diagnosed the pass lock assembly switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000 and the current mileage was 60,400.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 102013

Impala 6-cyl

Problem with starting has progress to a problem with the car shutting off during operation. Several times now the car has shut down with no warning and at different speeds. This causes a loss of control with the power steering and power brakes. I have been able to place the transmission in neutral and restart the car while moving. The last time it happened, I was making a right turn and merging into the flow of traffic. I had pressure on the steering wheel while trying to make the curve when I restarted the car. At this point, the power steering kicked in and I found myself swerving from the sudden snatch on the steering. We were lucky that we didn't cause an accident. If my wife had been at the controls I know it would have turn out bad! I see unlimited complains around this item. Do we have to wait on people to get injured or killed before the company is force to be responsible? if this was a foreign car company, the government would have already forced a recall.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Sep 302013

Impala

Passlock system would disable the car from starting dozens of times for months. I would get stuck anywhere without warning for half an hour or more with my children. It was taken in for a coolant leak issue. The dexcool ( a horrible product with lawsuits due to engine damage) had eaten the hoses and was spraying around the engine. It created a sludge that thankfully did not destroy my radiator. The car finally outright failed because of the security system. The passlock system is a known issue with GM. I have read endless complaints about this problem. There was nothing wrong with the car, but the system would not read the key. It was in the shop for weeks. Had to get new BCM and have the system reprogrammed. My car only has 37,000 miles and for it to fail and need such expensive repairs for a faulty system with nothing wrong with the mechanics of the car is unreal. Another known issue is with the signals going out without warning. I never know if the turn signals will work and this is very dangerous. I am fearful that other issues with the electrical system might happen. But knowing that the BCM might fail again in another year or so is the biggest rub. How many times do people have to reprogram their car and replace parts on a faulty passlock system that will fail again?

- Largo, FL, USA

Oct 102013

Impala 6-cyl

Factory installed security system won't let me start the car, I have to wait anywhere from 15-45 minutes before it starts, and that is not safe to be stranded with the family. I'm not the first person with this problem, and I hope you can do something to help me solve it. Thank you.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 212013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle caught on fire without warning. The contact was able to move off the roadway and called the fire department to extinguish the fire. No one was injured. The fire department did not state what caused the fire. After the failure, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number 09V116000 (engine and engine cooling) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that by law, they were not responsible to remedy the vehicle due to the age of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Hawkinsville, GA, USA

Jul 232013

Impala

The vehicle started smoking while driving down the highway at 65 miles per hour, it lost power. I pulled over and had the vehicle towed to a mechanic. The mechanic said that the piston broke, and a portion of the piston flew through the oil pan. This vehicle has been very well maintained. This should not have happened.

- Johnson Creek, WI, USA

Jun 102013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that he attempted to start the vehicle after being turned off for one week and the engine exploded. There were no injuries. A fire report was provided by the fire department. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 177,847.

- Tabor City, NC, USA

Nov 132012

Impala 6-cyl

Intake manifold leak, replaced the engine. Intermediate no starts, vehicle cuts off in 5 mins of driving, turn signals works sometimes.. car is dangerous to drive and I have almost had several accidents because of the issues.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Dec 122007

Impala 6-cyl

Safety flashes on dashboard and car will not start for 10 to 15 minutes. It happens totally at random times in all kinds of weather. Disconnecting the battery does not help nor does resetting a fuse with a kill switch. This is a widely known problem why isn't there a recall" I was told from a dealer it was a computer issue and could be fixed for around 1000 dollars. I want to buy american cars but do I have to suffer because of this choice" what an awful inconvenience.

- Toms River, NJ, USA