8.2

$1,193.00

2. replace manifold gasket (4 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Impala cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 292013

Impala LS 3.8L V6

click to see larger images

intake manifold failure

Upper intake manifold gasket is a known issue on these cars and mine went bad.

- , Dexter, MI, USA

Nov 232010

Impala 3.8L

How can this design flaw NOT be covered under a Recall? I seemed to remember a Recall on this exact issue but can not find it now.

- , Colchester, CT, USA

Oct 012009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

THIS HAPPENS ON ALL GM AUTOMOBILES... HAVE A RECLL AND FIX IT TOYOTA DID...

- , Delafield, Wisconsin, USA

Feb 032010

Impala 3.4L

First my heat would not work,fixed it .It worked for a Month went again ,fixed it and went again.Now my car was overheating and saw coolant on the ground.554.00 will be the bill for intake gasket.Thanks Chevy!

- , Sharpsville, PA, USA

Dec 212009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

YA think GM would have taken care of the problem . Know wonder there going bankrupt and no one is buy there cars.

- , east meadow, NY, USA

Sep 092009

Impala 3.4L

Just to let everyone know that the Attorney General should be called by eveyone that has had problems like this... Does anyone remember, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more?! If we flood the Attorney Generals' office with enough complaints we may get some results. (Just wishing of course) Lets stand up and give them an ear full that they won't soon forget!!! I remember a time ( not that I'm old or maybe I am) when quality, integrity and standing behind products meant something, obviously somethings have changed which is a very sad situation.

- , Blossvale, New York, USA

Dec 252006

Impala Sedan 3.4L V6

I feel that at 46,904 miles that something like this should be warranted or at least recalled by the government agencies responsible for tracking these type of things. I also feel that if you bring it to the dealer first and then get a second opinion elsewhere that if you choose to go with the second opinion GM should cover some of it.

I also feel that after doing a lot of research that there were 4 TSB's issued and that the dealerships service department should have looked at loyalty and said that these were issued and along with that GM put out a video for all GM techs to watch concerning the problems with DEXCOOL!

I don't feel it rests on the consumer to know if any recalls (which should be issued by GM) or TSBs !

- , Nashua, NH, USA

Nov 172008

Impala 3.4L V6

First my car began running warmer than usual, so I had one unskilled mechanic tell me that it was a bad head gasket and that it would cost me over $1500.00, I didn't believe them so I took the car back home because there was no water mixing with the oil. I had the thermostat and cooling temperature sensor replaced and the radiator flushed once. The car continued to run warm (passed the half-way mark) so I took it to another mechanic and had them flush the radiator and that's when they told me that my intake gasket was bad. I was then made aware that a lot of GM cars with a 3.2L or 3.4L engine had these problems and that to prevent the intake from leaking early they put in stop leak. Well after a while the stop leak wears away and here comes my problem the oil is going into the radiator. Isn't it lovely I now have to pay an additional $500.00 to fix a bad intake gasket because they didn't make the car right the first time.

- , Wetumpka, AL, USA

Oct 272008

Impala 3.4L V6

Went in for standard oil change last Monday. Tech noticed coolant dripping from hose & ran test for lower intake manifold. They said to take it to dealership because there may be a recall. Took it to local Chevy dealer & found out there is, indeed, a leak in lower intake gasket and is leaking coolant, also trans oil cooler ruptured and contaminated coolant with oil. Hoses leaking mixed fluid and are bulging and need to be replaced. Total damage for new radiator, 7 hoses, lower manifold gasket, thermostat, & two more gaskets... $2031.22!

Best part... the "recall" wasn't a recall, but the DexCool settlement. I found out that all the work had to be completed by May in order to qualify for their maximum reimbursement of $800. Too bad this all was found out at the end of October! So I called GM customer service and because I missed the dexcool settlement dates and the car has over 124,000 miles on it. There is nothing they can do to help.

Sorry, too bad...sucks to be you!

- , Jackson, MI, USA

Oct 272008

Impala 3.2L V6

This muthaf*cka... Ok, so I took my car in to get 4 new tires, an oil change, and the air filter replaced. Then, that same night, the check engine light came on (which has never came on before). So I had to wait till the next time I had time off, to take it back to that particular shop. Then, the next night on my way home, my car started hesitating, as if it wanted to cut off. So I didn't panic, I just kept drivin, hoping that it wouldn't. So I called around, asking people what could it be, and is it a server problem. Then the next morning, on my way to work, it just cut off in the middle of the street ass I pressed the gas. So I turned it back on, and continued about my day. Then when I was leaving from work that evening, I let it warm up, and it almost cut off again... I am sick of these car games and sh*t...

Oh, and before all of this, I had my battery replaced at the Chevy dealer, and they sent me a letter in the mail, stating what else was wrong wit the car, and what I should have serviced. And the two things were... "Cooling System Service" and "Intake Gaskets". I am so sick of this unreliable sh*t. And I so wanted to buy the new Chevy Camero that comes out in 2009, but f*ck that sh*t!! Imma look at Toyota or some sh*t.

- , Washington, DC, USA

May 012008

Impala 3400

I as i see im not the first to have the same problem with this engine as there is a class action going on with dex cool at the present time just go to dex cool settlement.com and they will give you the details of the law action. now that gm knows it has a problem why dont they cover the expense I have called gm so often with no satisfaction that they recognize me, the first thing they say is are you calling about your 2003 impala. All the dealers tell me is that there is a lot of trouble with dex cool not only in chevrolet but other gm cars. you just get no satisfaction from gm or dex cool by the looks there seems to be enough trouble for a recall. I hope more people complain . Here i sit, can`t afford to have the car repaired, thanks a lot gm.

- , Dade City, FL, USA

Apr 232008

Impala LS 3.4L

The heat gauge goes up so we can't drive it very far. We are on a fixed income and heard its going to cost 800 dollars to fix it. We need GM to stand by there cars and get the car fixed. We thought impalas were good cars but if GM can't fix there problems we may just have to car brands. We've checked on the internet and seen a lot of complaints of the intake manifold going out and GM not doing a recall on it.

- , Blk Rvr Flls, WI, USA