$1,675.00

2003 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 182011

Impala

Last July my 03 Impala that has been very well cared for started dying while I was driving it down the highway going 50 mph. ABS/Traction Control Light/Battery/Low Fuel/No Fuel/Lights started going off, and the fuel gauge ticking back and forth from empty to full. When I restarted it, the computer automatically reset and cleared all the codes. I drove it one week before it did it again. There were instances when it wouldn't start back up immediately. Sometimes it would die right after i cranked it when i'd put it in gear. I took it to be serviced at a local garage. He kept it 2 weeks and diagnosed it with needing a new computer. We towed it to the Chevy dealership a county away. They kept it for 2 weeks, it did die on them with the exact same symptoms it did with me, they said it needed front brake harnesses and bearings, an alternator, a throttle sensor, and a new body control module. They kept it 5 weeks to diagnose all that and I had every bit of it fixed. Very costly. I picked it up after they gave it the all clear and when I was driving home it died on me in the middle of a major intersection with the exact same symptoms as it had when it dies the very first time. I limped it back to the dealership, dying the whole time. I could have been killed! They kept it 4 more weeks and said they never could get it to die on them. I picked it up, drove it 1 week filled it up with gas and it died on me repeatedly. Took it to the local garage and explained everything. He put a new catalytic converter on it and another throttle sensor. I picked it up and its still dying on us with the same symptoms as if it were the very first time last July. They say there is only one thing left to do and that is to trace all the wiring. The only other thing its ever had done to it was a new wiring harness 3 years ago because the headlamp was turning itself off and on and the doors were locking on their own. It also has a history of shocking us. They know there is a 5 volt drop, but can't find it. Please help me, its March now and it acts like its had nothing done to it!

- , Franklin, KY, USA

Apr 012010

Impala LX 3.4L

I bought this car for my son in Oct. of 2009. Didn't have any problems with it until late January. I bought him a new stereo for the car and had it installed. The car shuts off randomly in the middle of driving it down the road, doing 25 or 60 mph. I am so scared my son is going to get killed driving this car. The dealer hasn't been very helpful, all he can do for me is sell me a new car.

I have just recently come to the conclusion with help from various websites that the passlock security system is the failure in this car. I have been to two Chevy dealers that can't find a problem with the car. I have been to four other mechanics who have taken my money for something or other and it still hasn't fixed the problem. I had one mechanic give me a list of all the error codes that came up and they were mostly BCM codes and told me to take it to the dealer, dealer said he couldn't do anything with it but clear the codes. I am $1,500 dollars into repairs of this car so far, and still the car shuts off at random in the middle of driving it, and i have to continue to make monthly payments on this piece of junk.

I would appreciate any suggestions, my son is going to take the car back to the people who installed the radio and see if they maybe mixed up any wiring that is affecting the security system and making the car shut off.

- , Clover, VA, USA

Dec 112008

Impala LX 3.8L

I have an 2003 Chevy Impala that keeps cutting off. I just purchased this vehicle 3 months ago and can not find out why. I have replace my 02 sensors and now I have another check engine light. I need help, what is wrong with this car!!!!!

- , Chicago, IL, USA