7.8

2. replace key (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Nov 012012

Impala LS 3.8L

For all of you having intermittent start problems with the security light coming on, it's not the starter, it's not the battery but it is the ignition switch. The ignition has a chip in it that has gone bad and this is what is causing your intermittent start problem. A temporary fix is to turn the key on for 8-10 minutes ( when it fails to start) and leave it on and just wait. During this time the ignition has to relearn itself to your key. The security light wil be flashing as well as the battery light. Now after the 10 minutes or so, turn the KEY OFF then attempt to resrtart it again. I know this sounds like voodoo, but trust me it works and it'll get you going again. Sometimes it works in less that 10 minutes.

A new replacement ignition is upwards of $300 at a repalir shop or you can get a new switch at your parts store or ebay for under $100 and do it yourself by simply removing the dash bezel. Go on line for some detailed instructions . The ignition comes in two parts, the ignition and the tumbler that the key goes into. To keep your old key you'll have to change out the tumbler pins, just do it in the same order as the old tumbler.

My wife just keep a good book handy as she waits. I'm waiting for warmer weather and some spart time to do mine. By the way this problem is not just unique to the 2003 Impala, it's all GM products.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 122011

Impala Police 3.8L

The car will not start this morning with no reason or bad sign. It seems to be possessed or the devil got into the engine.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

May 032010

Impala 6.0

I have had an issue with my car just not starting all the time.My husband would come, who is a technician, and change out fuses or jump car, change my keys or even just raise and lower steering column and it would start. No click no stutter nothing. I have two children in which I need to pick up everyday and drop off and worrying about whether or not my car will start or should I even shut my car down while going in store is really annoying. Can't even count how many times I've called either my husband or his friends to come and save me and it starts right up! Seriously? Really not satisfied with this car.

- , Vassalboro, Maine, USA

Jul 202010

Impala 3.8L

A new ignition key sloved problem wasn't a bad pass lock. the dealer should tell people to try new key before spending 500 dollars on a nw pass lock

- , Cumberland Furnace, TN, USA

Aug 042010

Impala 3.4L

I fill if GENERAL MOTORS care so much about it's customers,want more bussiness and save the US dealerships, they would step up and take care of this problem. There are plenty of complaints out there about the engine keep cutting out and not starting for at lease 10 to 30 minutes. GM should recall these dawn problem cars if they still want or keep there customers. I truly believe they want other countries to be our only auto supplier.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 012009

Impala V6

Multiple failures starting this car. Wait perhaps ten minutes, maybe an hour, maybe a day, maybe when AAA arrives and the car, on it's own will start.

I think it maybe an electrical problem, or a computer glitch because the SECURITY light goes on sometimes, and then does not appear at all. I don't know what the problem is, I drive 'em, I don't fix 'em.

I have read too MANY complaints about this pain..... a lot of wasted repair dollars....

but NO solutions.

When I bought this car GM advertised 'We'll be there for you ..blah ...blah " I don't see them now, and they won't see me again in their showrooms.

- , Easton, MA, USA

Oct 282009

Impala LS 3.2L V6

It seems as though many others are having the same problem as me. My car has died twice in the last two weeks, once on the freeway during rush hour traffic. My car was hit multiple times by those behind me that did not realize my car was dead. Two people had to push my car off the freeway. After about 5 minutes it started up again. It has been dying right after I start it more frequently. I took it to a garage and they said unless I take it in while it is dead, they can not figure out what is wrong. This is extremely frustrating and I no longer feel safe driving my car. I will be replacing this car and never buy a Chevy again!

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 082008

Impala 3400

my no start problem is the same as all of yours, no clicking, no turning over of eng, wait 10-15 min starts fine, security light was the only thing flashing, i reset lots of fuses and relays, thinking i may have fixed, naaaaa it came back. has anyone truly FIXED the problem yet? or does it come back over and over? now with baby in tow, my wife has had it...me too!!

- , Cloverdale, IN, USA

Oct 272008

Impala 3.4L V6

i was on my way home and the car just cut off and never started back up and it has been 3 or 4 days since this happen and it still want crank the battery and alternator are fine i just don't know what the problem is please help

- , Natchez, MS, USA