8.0

2003 Chevrolet Impala fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 012009

Impala LS 3.4L

I purchased my 2003 Chevy Impala in 2004 with about 24000 miles on it. The car was under warranty and I purchased an extended warranty to 80000 miles. I never had any serious issues with the car throughout the entire warranty period taking it to the chevy dealer every 3-4 000 miles. Right after the warranty expired I began noticing the fuel station pumps would shut off intermittently while I was filling the car with gas. This was a little annoying but I figured it was just the station pump. I started trying other stations and the same issue occurred. Then the check engine light began coming on then going off. I took it to have the car checked on the computer and there were no issues found. Then the security light would come on occasionally while I was driving. The gas filling issue had also became worse and now it takes me about 20 min to 1/2 hour to fill the car with gas. Next the gas gauge now after I fill the car reads full until I drive about 100 miles then it drops to 1/2. When the car gets lower then 1/8 tank the gauge jumps from full to empty repeatedly. The check engine light comes on occasionally then goes off as does the security light. Not for more than a day or 2 then it wont show up for weeks. I am getting quite annoyed with all these weird issues and I am looking to purchase a new car because of it. The car itself is still in good condition and drives excellent but have trouble with. How much gas I have in it, Why the security light would come on, Why the gas pumps click off trying to fill the car up. I think this is an electrical issue with the car but I can't figure it out.

Update from Jul 30, 2013: Great not only now do I have this refueling problem but now the head gasket is leaking water all over the place. I look on line and yet again another issue that people are reporting as a problem. What a POS car this has become.

- , Aurora, IL, USA