2003 Chevrolet Impala miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Aug 042014

Impala

Head light lens deteriorating and diminishing ability to see road

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Impala

This car stalls while driving, or stationary. It has stalled in the middle of turning. It has stalled on city streets, main streets and highways, as well as waiting at a red light or stop sign. When the car stalls, it starts back up but after some time has passed. I know that I am not the only one with this problem. Sometimes I have to wait till the car is cooled down before it will start again. Please correct this issue for us.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Impala

Got the recall done on the car back in may on keys and my car still won't start have lights and every thing but I have to get out and lock and unlock my car then sometimes it starts. Plus my high brights lights on dash flash and message center says high beam out but only work have the time, my car out of no where shakeys in any condition and its rear end does it at 50-60+ miles an hour and won't stop til I brake past 40pmh and worn out four tires belts on back side of them in four weeks time and service traction system light won't go off even I can't find the issue help...

- Carson, IA, USA

Jul 172015

Impala

I purchased this vehicle at B&B automotive on July 6th, 2015. This vehicle had 43,850 miles on it. I test drived the vehicle, everything was perfect. On July 17th I realized while driving the vehicle in "the message center" security came up. I ignored it because the car was still driving perfectly. Than a week later it came up again while I was driving but nothing happened. I called B&B and notified them of the issue and they told me to make an appointment because my car is under a avp warranty. 2 days later I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start at all! not even crank. I tried 3 times and it still would not start. Because I was just getting off at 11:45pm no one was able to come out and help me from B&B. I took the key out for about 5 minutes and tried to start it up again and it started. 2 weeks later on my way to work I tried to start my car and it wouldn't. I heard a clicking sound this time but it wouldn't start. I called B&B they said to bring it in or get it towed, I explianed to them I was on my way to work. I tried to start it again and gave it gas and it worked. Now I have to give it gas in order for it to work. I called B&B and notified them because I haven't even had the car for a month and this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I told them I called in and reported this issue 3 times they said it's been over 30 days so it would not be covered under warranty. That is not fair! I trusted them in trading my car in for this vehicle. I work full-time with 2 children under 4 and this is not safe. I should not be responsible because this seems like an electrical issue or bad wiring."??"

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 112014

Impala

We have been having issues when inserting our key in the ignition that the security light comes on and our car wont start for 20 plus mins, we took the car to the dealership and were told this is something that is know with GM but not recalled is there anything that is being done to help since this is a known issue or are we just stuck paying out of pocket to have this fixed

- Grand Rapids , MI, USA

Nov 212014

Impala 6-cyl

Received recall notice late Sept. With instructions not to call for appt before Oct. 1. called on Oct.15, was told parts were unavailable for several weeks. Called again today for status update, was told the waiting list is about 1000 vehicles and they are getting only about 1-2 kits per week. Not even a guess as to when they will be ready for my car. According to media reports GM is begging owners to bring in their car to get them fixed and offering gift cards, not the case here in southern Arizona. At this rate we're looking for next year maybe summer, by then maybe they have decided to fix the airbag problem too. Its not humid except during the monsoon season. Hopefully you can help to expedite this situation. Thank you

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 242014

Impala 6-cyl

My car will not start properly. The security light will flash several times but the engine will not turn over. Sometimes the security light will just stay on and it will turn over. This has caused a lot of problems for me. I have two children and we end up stuck places for 10, 20, or 30 minutes, up to an hour. I have taken it to the dealership and they wanted $400. To fix the security chip and the key shaft because that is what is making the security system mess up. Well now there is a recall on my car with the key, but they will not fix the chip for free and I do not have money to spend on it!

- Coatesville, IN, USA

Aug 232013

Impala 6-cyl

When the weather is hot, the car will not start. Once started the electrical system throws multiple errors, from security, battery, service engine soon, ABS light, seat belt light, and brakes. The radio is locked out and the ac fan runs but will not allow the ac compressor to function. Also the head lights flash and the complete dash board goes dead including all gauges, from the speedometer, fuel and temperature gauge. The warning bell continues to ring as the battery light comes on. This is a could cause a very dangerous situation with no head lights and no working gauges on the dash, and should for some reason the security system shuts the car down while driving, could cause a serious accident. GM seem to be neglecting this issue, and even GM and their dealerships claim to know nothing about this. Yet in multiple Impala forums, this is the top issue with this vehicle. I would like to see something done about this before someone gets killed, and it is not fair for the consumer to pay thousands of dollars trying to chase this issue down. I just wish american car companies would stand behind their products, especially when the public's safety is in question.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Mar 112011

Impala

Intake manifold gasket failure.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Apr 012010

Impala

My 2003 Chevrolet Impala ls has had this problem for years and everyone else with the Impala have the same problem. Why is there no recall? the dealerships have been charging people $600 to change the ignitian that doesn't even fix the problem. That is what they charged me 3 years ago. The car will not start once in awhile and you have to wait 15-20 minutes for it to finally start. It started out every other month then every month then twice a month. Now in 2010 it happens 2-3 times a week for me. Here is one of the many forums about this problem 64.13.204.178/Chevrolet/Impala/2002/electrical/passlock_problem_wont_start_and_security_light_is_on.shtml

- Quincy, MA, USA

Oct 312003

Impala 6-cyl

Failure of onstar to contact me when air bags deployed in accident.

- Pipersville, PA, USA

May 282003

Impala

Vehicle was on an incline at a complete stop, when the gas pedal was depressed, vehicle rolled backward.

- Baltimore, MD, USA