2003 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Mar 132013

Impala

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized making the vehicle very difficult to control without warning. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000 and the current mileage was 152,970.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Apr 022012

Impala

The service traction control light is on the dash panel and my car started to shake and pull to one side when the brakes were applied. The problem quickly grew into the cat constantly pulls to one side and the steering feels sloppy and loose if that makes sense. The traction control doesn't work but will randomly kick in while driving and the car instantly feels as if the brakes are being applied and grinder but the worse part is how the pulling to one side becomes a quick grab and jerk to one side and has nearly caused me several accidents and I cannot relax and drive. I am always tense and ready to fight to keep my car going straight and now with the bad Michigan winter its impossible to drive on some days. I've been told that I need a new traction control pump which is going to cost around $2500 and up depending on what they find but will automatically start at $2500. That cost is ridiculous and I have talked to prob approx a hundred people who either had the same problem or knew of someone who does, over the past few years. My car is now parked and I have to beg for rides to work because its winter and I cannot put myself and others in danger with this issue. I have to work and Transport kids to different events and feel that this part has to be defective from the start if there's that many people with this same issue. And all of the same exact complaints found online. Please I'm begging you to check into this issue to see if a recall is necessary. Thank you so much.

- Ravenna, MI, USA

Oct 042013

Impala 6-cyl

Acted as if it dosen't have power steering when turning to the left, very stiff, and jerky. Total cut out on a freeway on ramp for about 20 seconds. When try to put fuel in gas tank have to hold fueling nozzle barley open or it will not take fuel. Drove to work, got off of work went to start it, it would start with out a jump.

- So.Stpaul, MN, USA

Jul 262005

Impala

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds or when completing a turn, the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal noise. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the steering shaft would need to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 08E063000 (steering) but had not confirmed if the vehicle was included in the recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 7,000 and the current mileage was 37,330.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Feb 012011

Impala

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Impala w/ day time running lights on car from factory. While driving early 4:00 am in the morning, through the mountains with no streets lights. I put my high beams on. Within a second all exterior, and interior lights when out. This is totally unsafe and hazardous. The manufacture should be responsible for this not the consumer. Need to have a recall on this. This a malfunction problem that needs to be addressed, before someone gets seriously hurt. I pray that your just not entering these complaints into the data base, but letting the consumer know that you care and are working on this problem. I also, notice that while looking for recall on this matter there's a lot of complaint on this multifunction. Consumer's can't fix this without a lot expenses and remove airbags. Will you do your best on recalling or getting recalls on this problem.

- Saint Johnsbury, VT, USA

Feb 012011

Impala 6-cyl

2003 Chevy Impala. Consumer writes in regards to recalls for vehicle and repairs the consumer stated after hitting a pothole, the traction off light illuminated. After the repairs were made, the trac and ABS light remained illuminated. Also, there seemed to be some play in the steering.

- East Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 132005

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact heard a popping noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians diagnosed the failure to be the steering shaft. The steering shaft was replaced. The failure occurred again approximately five years later. The dealer was contacted and stated in order to diagnose the failure the contact would have to pay a fee. The manufacturer was contacted but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired failure mileage was 18,262. The approximate current mileage was 40,000. Updated 2/17/11 updated 05/31/11

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 122010

Impala 6-cyl

Chevrolet Impala 2003 after running over a pothole Feb. 2009, a clicking sound was immediately observed with each revolution of the wheel. Took it to a pep boys for inspection. They said they didn't see anything wrong after visual and drive inspection. Still continued to hear clicking sound. On Oct. 6, while backing out of parking space and turning wheel to left, a loud scraping sound was made. Stopped car, got out to inspect whether or not anything was on ground, etc. Nothing was there. Sound continued until changing gear to drive. Oct. 12, 2010 turned wheel towards left while in drive and a very loud clicking- then bumping noise was made. It sounded like the wheel was going to break or something if I continued turning. I was six blocks from home, so drove slowly and very slowly for the next 2 left turns in which on the 2nd left turn the bumping sound happened again. It has frightened me so that I am petrified to drive my car. Plan to take to a mechanic but with assistance.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Oct 052008

Impala

It was raining, car started to skid to the right, steered left to correct, lost control and struck a tree head on. Serious injuries to belted driver.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Apr 082003

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. 3,000 miles after she purchased the vehicle she had brake failure. On April 8, 2003, dealer replaced rear rotors, Nov. 19, 2003 freed up sliders, March 26, 2004 full rotor assembly replaced in Florida, June 7, 2005 complete brake change. Aug. 16, 2005 resurfaced brakes and rotors, Jan. 16, 2006 refaced rear rotors, June 30, 2006 replaced rear rotors and refaced front rotors, Jan. 10, 2007 resurface work needed to be done but did not perform repairs, May 23, 2007 replaced all 4 rotors. The contact paid for the repairs, May 22, 2008, replaced rear pads and serviced calipers. The dealer will not make any additional repairs and feel as though they have done all they can to remedy to failure. The failure mileage was 3259 and the current mileage was 50295. Updated 7/3/08 the passenger seat heater and rear window defogger were inoperative. There was a noise coming from the steering. The dealer lubed the intermediate shaft. The rear stabilizer shaft and link was replaced. Updated 07/15/08.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 272007

Impala 6-cyl

The intermediate steering shaft in my 2003 Chevrolet Impala had to be replaced at 25,000 miles. Now at 45,000 miles the steering shaft needs to be replaced again also, both rear brake rotors were replaced at 25,000 and need to be replaced again at 45,000 miles.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Jul 262003

Impala 6-cyl

2003 Chevrolet Impala (I bought it new) problem turning the steering wheel and braking, I hear and feel clunking coming from the front end of the vehicle in the steering column. I also felt a vibration in the steering wheel. I had the car into the dealer 3 times. Each time the problem wet away for a month or so but returned. Each time I drive the car I hope the steering does not fail and cause an accident. No more General Motors cars for me. I have bought GM since1969. I will not buy another GM car.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

May 012005

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Impala. While driving between 1 and 25 mph, the contact heard a loud clunking noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. He also felt a vibration in the steering wheel. There is a technical service bulletin (01-02-32001H) regarding this same failure. The manufacturer stated that the contact would be responsible for the repair costs. The current mileage was 40,000 and failure mileage was 30,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 062005

Impala 6-cyl

On the afternoon of Monday, June 6, 2004, I was driving a 2003 Chevrolet Impala down haddonfield road in cherry hill, New Jersey when, suddenly and without warning, its speedometer dropped down to zero, its brakes became inoperable, and its steering wheel became rigid and virtually un-turnable. I was forced to coast to a stop. Fortunately, the incident did not cause a crash. This is the second time that such an incident has occurred with this car, with the previous incident occurring in or around July 2004. I am reporting this to my local Chevrolet dealership.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Dec 092004

Impala 6-cyl

Experiencing clunk in steering; also failed rotors.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Nov 052003

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, the consumer noticed there was too much play in the steering wheel. Also, the transmission was not working properly and the vehicle failed to accelerate. Dealer was notified of the problem. The dealer attempted to repair the transmission, but the vehicle was still unable to merge into freeway traffic. The vehicle pulled hard to the left and would become uncontrollable. The tires were replaced, but the problem remained.

- Yakima, WA, USA