2003 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems: transmission seized up

Transmission Seized Up

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2003 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Apr 102008

Impala

Bought 2003 Impala used with 60,000 miles on it. Corporate fleet maintained prior to purchasing. After several other MAJOR repairs (engine work, major brake work, electrical problems) in 2 years, my wife was driving the vehicle daily and reported to me that now there seemed to be a grinding noise coming from the front end. She asked a friend of ours to come by to try and troubleshoot ( a mechanic) who rode with her as she drove the car.

A block away from our house, wife turned the corner and a loud clunk was heard, followed by the car lurching to a very abrupt stop. Not being able to move the car, the mechanic looked outside the car to see trans fluid pouring into the street. Had the hunk of junk towed home and parked in the driveway - where it sits to this day (more than a year later - don't know why I still have it - wife thinks we should get it fixed but a new/rebuilt trans is beyond our means).

Third and last GM car I will ever own - had bought two other new ones in the past - one made it almost a year before it was undrivable, the second to 60,000 before it's engine gave out - donated that one. Don't want to buy foreign, but running out of quality choices made here.

- , Warren, MI, USA