4.0

1. replace hub bearing(s) (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Impala wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Impala:

2003 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 242010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

I had taken the car in for an alignment and a dealer told me it could not be done without replacing the outer tie rod end and the hub bearing for a total cost of $800. I declined the repair and they charged me $50 for an "alignment check fee". I drove the car several months later and then started to hear a noise. after researching I found the bearing was then worn enough to wear. I replaced the bearing and tie rod end myself. the tie rod was $50 and the bearing was $120 for a lifetime warranty part. it took about an hour. a far cry from the $800 I was quoted. turns out the bearing on the left was fine. the noise was still there. I replaced the other bearing and that fixed it. I bought the cheaper bearing that time for $60 since I was out of work and didn't have the money to spend on repairs. the tie rod end, by the way was not worn to the point where it was a problem. I really didn't need to replace it in my opinion. I'm not happy with the way dealerships conduct business.

- , Royal Oak, MI, USA