2004 Chevrolet Impala accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 13)

Dec 102008

Speedometer in 2004 Impala going haywire. Not reading correctly.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Dec 102008

About 1 year ago, my temp gauge stopped working. Now my tachometer either shows "0" when the vehicle is moving or it will go up to around "4". my car is a 2004 Impala ss indianapolis speedway limited edition now having close to 80,000 miles. Problem w temp gauge started around 50,000 miles. Chevrolet needs to recall the instrument cluster panels of all 2003 - 2006 models with so many complaints.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jan 012006

Cluster is out on my 2004 Chevy Impala. This controls the speed odometer, temperature gauge, gas gauge, rpms.first the speed odometer went out then the temperature gauge messing up now the rpms. I have not had this car very long. Only has 66,000 miles. There has not been any crashes or injuries yet. But I do have two small children. And I'm very concerned about this safety matter. The part is very expensive and I can't afford it. No recalls have been made to my knowledge.

- Palmyra, IN, USA

Aug 202007

My speedometer and fuel gauge has quite working as well as my climate control motor. I bought this car used without a warranty. When things started going wrong a couple months after I bought it I started looking for info only to find lots of complaints about the issues I am having. I think this problem needs to be addressed and a recall issued before someone gets hurt or killed due to not knowing how fast you are going or running out of gas in a cold out of the way place unable to get help. I have managed not to have an accident or run out of gas but others may not be so fortunate.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Sep 202008

2004 Impala with a 3800 engine.. speedometer is stuck at the highest point in reading, above 110 mph without the car even running.

- Maplewood, MN, USA

Nov 182008

Speedometer became erratic and completely stopped working; stuck on 80 or 100 mph at all times. Dangerous to drive in inclement weather due to inability to judge speed of vehicle accurately; possible motor vehicle accident and/or speeding tickets. Nothing done by owner at this time due to costly repair; feel GM recall appropriate due to many online complaints for same issue.

- Dane, WI, USA

Dec 242008

Speedometer is not working.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Dec 232008

While driving on the interstate at 70mph the speedometer stuck at 70 and there was no way to know what speed I was going. Being 100 miles from home, I continued on, gauging my speed by other motorists.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Nov 252008

Speedometer failed by very slowly dropping to zero mph while traveling on I65. I did not realize the speedometer had failed until I realized I was passing other people and the car was getting quite difficult to handle. After slowing down and following a group of trucks I watched the speedometer slowly fall to zero over a period of 15 minutes or so. I have never had a speedometer do this, they either worked or did not work. Fortunately no one was hurt though only because I realized I was driving at a significantly higher speed than the surrounding traffic which was already averaging 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit of 70 mph.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Jul 152008

When driving at normal speed on interstate highway, speedometer keeps increasing without increasing speed, until needle goes all the way to bottom of dial, which would be about 150 mph. If vehicle is not driven for a day or so, it will return to normal, but goes crazy again, and impossible to know correct speed. Dealer had replaced many speedometers on pickups and SUVS, but will not cover this under warranty or recall. This has happened to many owners, see blogs!!

- London, KY, USA

Aug 302008

The speedometer on my 2004 Impala does not work. Should be considered a major safety hazard. Dealer estimate to repair 500.00-700.00. GM does not respond. From internet research there are thousands of this year vehicle with this problem, why no recall??

- Byron Center , MI, USA

Nov 032008

The speedometer shows wrong speed-faster than I am going-almost caused accident slowing down on freeway. Chevy wants $500 to fix the problem which should be covered by them.

- Cheney, WA, USA

Aug 012008

On my 2004 Chevrolet Impala, the speedometer is never right. This just started. I've been reading on this problem on other Impala and there is no factory recall for this problem. I don't have the money to get it fixed. This car will be handed down to my daughter when she is 16. How is she supposed to know her speed? GM needs to do something about this factory defect.

- La Porte, TX, USA

Oct 192008

My speedometer is not working properly. It will display anywhere between zero mph and 120 mph when driving approx. 70 mph (judging on the speed of other traffic. I have a 2004 Chevy Impala with 81,000 miles. Repair at a GM dealership is approx. $400. I have spoken to GM customer service about them being responsible for the repair of a safety hazard. They don't seem to care.

- Ferdinand, IN, USA

Sep 052008

The speedometer in my 2004 Impala does not function properly. It is unpredictable in what speed it measures. Sometimes it stays on "0" sometimes it's at "110" when I'm doing approx. 20mph. It's just broken.

- Yardville, NJ, USA

Feb 142006

The instrument cluster on my 2004 Chevy Impala ls has stopped working. Also, the fuel & oil gauges do not work. The gauges stopped working about 2 years ago after working without problems. From my online searches, I've seen many other Impala owners with the same problem. I have not had the cluster replaced, but instead use a handheld gps for speed. I do feel Chevy/GM knowingly manufactured a bad component and should be held liable for repairs of the step motors that have failed in these cars.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Aug 152007

Speedometer consistently reads incorrectly and/or freezes in place. Occurs daily, rarely gives correct reading. Dealer wants $69.95 to evaluate and repair will be $400-$500 if it is what they think it is. Car has not been in any accidents. Coolant temperature gauge has periodically malfunctioned as well: Shows high temps when engine is not overheating. Coolant levels are normal.

- Willis, MI, USA

Sep 242008

Speedometer sticks and will not reset or shows 80 mph when doing 30 mph.

- South Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 062008

The speedometer in my car does not work correctly. The car only has 32000 miles on it & GM will not fix the problem. I feel it is a safety issue because you can not tell how fast you are going. The speedometer will be stuck at 30mph and I can be doing 40 or 50 mph.

- Swansea, MA, USA

Aug 242008

The speedometer on the instrument cluster goes haywire. It sticks when driving highway speeds, and then remains showing a high speed when slowing down. When you then speed back up, it shows speeds upwards of 100 mph even when driving slower than existing traffic. It will only get back to 0 if I turn the ignition off and on many times. It is exceptionally dangerous to travel without knowing the correct speed that you are traveling.

- Hudson, WI, USA