2004 Chevrolet Impala accessories - interior problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Sep 202009

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 65 mph, the speedometer displayed that the vehicle was traveling 90 mph, which then increased to 110 mph. In addition, the RPM gauge failed to provide accurate reading levels while the vehicle was parked. The failures occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 022012

Speedometer works sometimes. Other times it gets stuck on mph. I can be sitting still and the speedometer will read 52 miles per hour. Other times it will keep going up until the needle is more than buried.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Dec 112013

Impala 6-cyl

The entire instrument cluster gauge stopped working, there is no telling what the speedometer or tachometer is.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Jan 142013

The speedometer is out of control. It will tell me I'm either going way faster than I am or it will tell me I'm going way slower than I am. It will reset itself if the car is off for twenty minutes or so but it will just happen again in a few days or hours. I don't feel safe driving in a car where I don't know what speed I'm going. Many others have had this same exact problem in their own 04 Chevy Impala. It's an ongoing problem that needs to be fixed.

- Milton, MA, USA

Nov 082012

My speedometer has stopped working which is definitely a safety issue. Also, I have to wait 10 minutes or longer for my car to start because of the security system. I am requesting a recall on these vehicles as there are many consumers with these same problems on the internet. Thank you.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Oct 312012

Impala 6-cyl

I have been having issues with my speedometer sticking the past few months. My husband took my car in to our local Chevy dealership and was told we need to replace the instrument control panel which would cost around $600. Not happy with the fact that we will have to shell out this kind of money for a faulty factory part, I contacted the Chevrolet customer complaint line. I was told by the complaint line that they could not do anything for us at this time. I have read many complaints in regards to the same issues from the following link: it sounds like there should have been a factory recall on this issue a long time ago. Apparently it is going to take an accident or death in order for Chevrolet to make this right. The government just bailed out GMC not to long ago; however, GMC can't step up and fix this. What kind of business does this to their customers. I informed Chevrolet that I will no longer buy their vehicles. No wonder everyone is buying foreign these days.

- Wetmore, KS, USA

Oct 072012

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer does not display accurate miles per hour. While driving, the odometer went to about 60 mph, when I was going about 40 mph and I tried to decrease the speed by depressing the brake pedal but it remained at 60 mph. I came to a traffic light and stopped, then I noticed that the speed was at 10 mph while setting still. I asked another person to drive the car to see if the same type of thing was happening with the speed odometer, and it was. The vehicle was taken to the dealership. The mechanic said he reset the odometer and said if that did not work, a part will need to be replaced. That worked about two weeks, and the same thing started all over again. I am afraid to drive the vehicle because I can not tell how fast I am driving. Which poses a safety hazard.

- Natchez, MS, USA

Jul 192012

While driving on the interstate to begin our vacation, the speedometer began showing increased speed while cruise control was set. We were going 65, but the speedometer eventually registered 120 mph. After cruise was turned off, it continued to read 120 mph, regardless of actual speed. We had to use our gps to monitor speed for the entire 1300 mile round trip! GM has recalled other models with the same problem. Why hasn't a recall been issued for the Impala?

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 072012

Impala 6-cyl

Instrument cluster does not work. Sometimes the gauges stick and I do not know how fast im going or how much gas is in the car.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 172011

Was driving vehicle and the temp gauge went all the way to overheat, shortly after that the gas gauge started to work only intermittantly, and the speedometer has some issues with registering the proper speed.

- Marysville, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer on my car has stopped functioning correctly. The needle will no longer return to 0mph after coming to a stop, and will only reduce speed if I repeatedly shut off and start my car. The only way to know my speed is to see where the needle is before driving, but I have noticed that sometimes while driving the needle will not reduce speed even then and I have to come to a complete stop to know how to gauge my speed. I was shocked to learn that this is not already a recall. This is a potentially dangerous problem, but mostly it is irratating and inconvenient. I had this problem diagnosed and the part itself is over $400, and the repair would take a week. My family has always bought GM vehicles and I am disappointed after reading the many complaints online that this problem has not been taken care of by the manufacter.

- Hebron, IL, USA

Feb 162011

Impala 6-cyl

The needle on the speedometer does not work. I do not know how fast that I am going.

- Sugarcreek, OH, USA

Aug 202009

Impala 6-cyl

I bought a 2004 Chevy Impala with 76,000 mile's on it and I have been having a ton of problems with it even after spending hundreds of dollars in shop fees trying to fix the problem's, the speedometer sticks or just doesn't work at all so I can never tell how fast I'm going along with the temp. Gauge so I can't tell if the car is over heating or not. The gauge cluster is faulty and the gauges only work when they want to. I also have problems with the automatic transmission slipping from 1-2, the high beam switch doesn't work unless you hold it and any time you use a window of have the rear window defrost on the radio is all static.

- Minnesota, MN, USA

Apr 012011

I drive a Chevy 2004 Impala. When driving my car, the speedometer begin to act randomly. I was able to clock my speed using my gps. My car said I was doing 70 miles per hour, but I was really doing 30 mp/H. now, the speedometer does not work at all. It constantly says I'm doing 0 mp/H. this is a serious issue. The dealership wanted $700 dollars to fix a deadly defect in their own car. Many Impala drivers have this issue and GM has failed to recall this product.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Dec 082009

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Impala sedan which has 123,551 miles on it. I bought it with 108,000. I discovered after I bought it that my speedometer cluster was acting up. I could reset it by turn the key on and off til it reached 0 and both the water temp gauge and speedometer would work for a day or so. Now, only the speedometer works by resetting and the water gauge never works. I have seen may other Impala complaints for the same reason. They did a recall on the trucks but not on Impala. I feel this should be a recall. 2nd problem. Transmission shop diagnosed and replace valve body. Still did same jumping in and out of gear so replace again. Still does it. Was told by another transmission shop who drove my car that it may be control module. It never does it when I take to a transmission shop but my mechanic got it to do it on fri. And said he thought it could either be speedometer cluster related or may a control module. It is an interminent problem and have had since I bought car in Dec. 09. another friend said he bought a new 08 and it did same thing. No one ever found out why.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 062010

Chevy Impala - speedometer keeps messing up. Stops working when I am driving. Will going 55 and when I stop the speedometer doesn't always go back to 0. next thing I know I am in a 35 but my speedometer is reading 90mph. An online search has found that many other have the same issue. Far to many for the same type of car.

- Livonia, NY, USA

Feb 012011

2004 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to problem with gauge

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 152011

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Impala speedometer gives erratic readings. Note complaints online are very high with same problem. Vehicle should be recalled for safety reasons.

- Radford, VA, USA

Jan 052011

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

Speedometer on 2004 acting erratic or non-functioning at times. Malfunction occurred with 86,281 miles.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 302010

Vehicle speedometer is floating. Sometimes I am doing zero mph. Then sometimes I am doing 120mph. This is a safety issue and something needs to be done about it. I never know how fast I am traveling down the road.

- Merrillville, IN, USA