2004 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 052013

Impala 6-cyl

Since last year I've had to replace the brake pads twice because of a grinding/squealing noise. Now I need to replace them again ( 4-19-14 ). when ever I applied the brakes the pedal will vibrate and makes noises, if I apply the brakes while on the highway the brake pedal (vibrates a lot )and steering wheel shakes wicked. I brought my car to the dealer ship ( balise of warwick, ri )where it was bought from(my father-in-law bought the car there)and ask about any recalls....they told me that there weren't any recalls for my car. Gee I wonder if the person that told me that was just lazy or if there aren't any recalls for it. Can someone let me know please...I have my grandson in the car a lot.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Apr 022014

Impala 6-cyl

After listening to a radio report on npr describing the problem with GM ignition switch recalls I decided to test my own car for related problems. As I pulled into my driveway I tapped on the key while it was in the ignition and the key switched from on to acc mode. This resulted in my car engine shutting off, power steering loss, assisted brake malfunction, battery warning light, and the airbag light came on. All of these problems happened exactly as the radio report said they would with a faulty ignition switch. Over the last 3 years my brother in-law and I have been having various problems with our ignitions and now I believe all these problems may be caused by the defect which GM has recently reported. I have contacted the GM recall hotline and reported my car model and VIN. They informed me that there is nothing they can do since they have not received enough reports linked to the Impala. I would appreciate the recall list being expanded to include the Impala if possible. At least the years of 2003 and 2004.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Feb 242014

The traction control turns on very frequently without control, lightappear claim that the traction system need services and some other time the sinf of the ABS I constantly push the tracking system off when is on but do not respond at oll. This causes the car to make a grinding noise. When braking the car makes a grinding noise and car is not stopping it feels like it's locking up and my steering going from left to right in sliding way to. In a sudden stop needing to be made is at great risk of a accident, already was close to pass over a peaton that was mad at me and hit my car in the back because of this problem that I tray to correct but is a manufacture defect to resolve as some as yesteryears, Y hope that nobody are kill already, but I will hold starting with "GM Chevrolet"responsible for anything who happened to me and family.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Nov 032009

Well I'm so tired of repairing the same problem.this ABS issues are driving me crazy I mean I already replaced the damn computer the bearings the cable that sends the signal and still this problem is going on in since 2009. Ever since 2009 is ridiculous and dangerous I mean is a matter of time before this issue becomes an accident I mean I'm driving fine and all of a sudden the damn car acts all stupid the brakes don't even work fine because the ABS system makes them push back to you and then it makes your car pull to the right for no reason it so annoying I'm a hard working person I have invested a lot of money into my car for GMC to sell me a dangerous car I also had to get another motor because the original would shake when ever you would accelerate but I just want to get this dangerous issue fixed please make them repair my car because sooner or later my wife or me are going to have an accident....thank you

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 202013

Impala 6-cyl

Car makes a popping noise from steering. The car started shifting hard occasionally but then goes away. The steering will get tight then really loose. Car feels unsafe to drive. Especially over a bumpy road feels like you have loose wheels. The car only has 78,800 miles on it. This is insane and I will never again buy a Chevrolet! I have kids and feel unsafe driving my car with them in it! I wrecked this vehicle when I tried to apply brakes and the wheels squealed but did not lock up nor did it stop! brakes are fine and in good condition not sure why it wont stop. Has happened 5-8 times and car slides! thank god we didn't get severely injured! Impala's should be taken off the market if U ask me.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Oct 012012

Impala 6-cyl

For several months now, more often when slippery winter conditions exist but this can happen even on perfectly dry road conditions. When I back out of my driveway and put my Impala into drive and start to accelerate the dashboard warning light for traction control and ABS braking systems. This happens with a noticeably loud grinding noise in the front end. Automatically I release the accelerator and the systems half the time seems to reset itself as the grinding noise stops, the traction control light goes out and the ABS warning light goes out as well. I begin to accelerate with no problem at that point. The other half of the time the lights all stay on for the length of my drive, with the grinding subsiding when I release the accelerator. I took the car to a Chevrolet dealer, explained the situation and they told me it may be a speed sensor going bad. They would have to diagnose it and possibly replace the sensor and quite a large cost. I argued that if my brakes are not working properly than this may well be a safety issue and Chevrolet should repair the problem for free. No chance. I took my car to another dealer with the same result. Pay for the repair.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 142013

Impala 6-cyl

Was turning left from stop when traction light came on also ABS light and traction off switch light, now it happens in reverse and sometimes when I start the car. It makes a growling sound, if I shut off the car and restart it all the lights go out.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Dec 012012

Traction control tries to kick when braking. Brakes act as though they are pushing back against my foot pressure at this time. Traction control makes a grinding noise. Vehicle has trouble stopping. Traction control shuts off, warning light to service traction control comes on, ABS shuts off and light comes on, and red "brakes" light turns on. Vehicle drives and brakes just fine after that for the remainder of the drive. On occasion these events happen when going over a railroad tracks or other similar bumps and brakes are not involved.

- Marlow, OK, USA

Jan 012013

Impala 6-cyl

In the center of the dash in the car when I accellerate I hear two thing, a water swishing sound and a grinding sound coming from under the hood. Then my traction control light comes on and sometimes the ABS light. Then when I go to brake there is another grinding sound. This does not happen every time. But it does happen often.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Jan 312013

Impala 6-cyl

The traction control light came on before the snow and ice came and then on my way to work with no warning when the brakes were applied I had no brakes at all. I slid right through a busy intersection with no warning. The ABS braking system does not work at all in the snow and ice. I was very lucky the cars were spaced out, that kept me from a very serious accident. I have read online that alot of other people are experiencing the exact same problem with the same make, model and year of car. My question is why have they not issued a recall on the 2004 Chevy Impala before it kills or seriously injures other people.

- Blacklick, OH, USA

Jun 072011

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed that when he would depress the brake pedal, the brake pedal would become extremely resistant. The ABS warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle was taken dealer. The dealer advised that they had to replace the front wheel sensor. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Dumont, NJ, USA