2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 14 of 20)

Mar 032010

Impala

Chevrolet 2004 Impala speedometer quit working and manufacturer does not fix although I am certain it is a manufacturing issue. Speed can not be monitored so is a safety issue.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Mar 022010

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Impala ss cluster malfunction. Speedometer not working, unable to know how fast I am going. No recall as of yet. Seems to be a common problem with Chevy vehicles.

- Browns Mills, NJ, USA

Dec 102009

Impala

Speedometer sticks or shows inaccurate speed. Dealership says instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

- New Rockford, ND, USA

Feb 172010

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala my wife and kids are driving to Florida and the speedometer goes out. Now if you are driving from Michigan to Florida and have no idea at midnight how fast you are going- that is a huge safety problem. From looking on the web this seems to be a very common problem with these vehicles. Recall on this would be great!

- Hudsonville , MI, USA

Jun 092009

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving on normal road conditions. The speedometer displayed an inaccurate reading. The failure occurred at any given speed rate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The failure was contributed to the instrument panel cluster. The vehicle was prepared for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Colts Neck , NJ, USA

Feb 142010

Impala

Speedometer does not work! shows that I am going 130mph, then 60 when parked. Dealer say no recall even though my husbands truck had the same problem and they recalled the part in the Silverado. $500 to fix. This needs to be recalled!!! I am reading hundreds of complaints on the Impala for the same thing. My 21 year old daughter is driving this car on the highway every day..very dangerous!!!

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Oct 142008

Impala

The speedometer has gone haywire. Sometimes it says I am doing 0mph and at other times it says I am going 120 mph. Can not get an accurate read on the speedometer. The same can be said for my fuel gauge and coolant temperature readings. The panels are not working properly.

- New Carrollton, MD, USA

Feb 052010

Impala

I just had my second multi-function switch (headlight dimmer, turn signal, cruise, wiper/washer) fail on this car for the same reason resulting in complete loss of headlights. This is a very common issue as seen by numerous bulletin board postings. I dissected the original switch to determine if this could be fixed. It became quite obvious what was happening. The contacts on the hi/lo beam portion of the switch foul and overheat. This switch had melted plastic from the switch housing that had flowed over the contacts and prevented proper switch operation. This is an incredibly dangerous situation that manifests itself with little or no warning. This overheating is obviously due to poor engineering that has resulted in undersized contacts that foul due to relatively high load currents in the headlight circuit.

- Grant Township, MI, USA

Jan 012007

Impala

Sometime around 2007 the instrument cluster started to mess up. It would say that I was going 100 mph when I was parked in my drive way. My tachometer would say that the engine was doing 5000 to 6000 RPM when parked in my drive way. I did a little research on the internet and discovered I am no the only one with this problem. I called Chevy and they told me that there were no recall on my vehicle. The problems still exists today.

- St Helens, OR, USA

Jul 152009

Impala

My 2004 Chevrolet Impala is having problems with the entire instrument cluster. There are thousands or the same complaints about Impala models from 2003-2006, as well as other Chevy models. The gas gauge has gone completely out, and the volt gauge has now stopped working, and the speedometer randomly goes haywire and moves erratically, reading incorrectly. The most common report is that GM has installed a defective stepper motor in the instrument cluster of these models. And the dealers estimate a repair cost of $600 to replace the cluster completely. This is a dangerous safety issue. GM need to step up and recall this obviously defective part.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 012010

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala, speedometer works one day and doesn"T work the next day. Will be going down the highway shows speed one minute and maybe nothing the next. Really have no idea how fast I am going. Seems very dangerous. GM has to know that have a safety problem.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Jan 102010

Impala

My speedometer runs wildly up and down. It doesn't work well at all. I think I'm driving 55 and it shows 100. I want Chevrolet to have a recall on this. I have a 04 Chevy Impala. I have read over 100 complaints on the computer.

- Newton, NC, USA

Dec 282009

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala. 3 months ago the tachometer stopped working. Now the speedometer reads 120 mph when vehicle is not moving. When traveling with traffic on the interstate it is a problem to not know my correct speed. Just as going too fast can cause accidents so can going too slow on the interstate. It will cost over $500 to fix at the dealership. The car only has 68,000 miles.

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jan 052010

Impala

The instrument panel is malfunctioning. First, the tachometer stopped working at all, now the speedometer indicates erroneous speeds. It shows that I am driving very fast when I'm actually much slower than the rest of the traffic. When parked, it shows 15-20 mph. It's very unsafe to drive without knowing your real speed, especially on long trips on the highway. Since the problem is quite common, GM should issue a recall to avoid such negative publicity.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 032009

Impala

While driving my 2004 Chevrolet Impala at 60 mph, the speedometer suddenly dropped to 0 mph and remained there. The fuel gauge is also stuck reading full continually, and the RPM gauge is also stuck at zero. The car only has 51000 miles on it, and based on my research, this problem is widespread. GM needs to be forced to recall this obvious defect.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 182009

Impala

First the tachometer quit working then the speedometer became erratic saying I was going slower than I actually was(checked with gps).I was doing 60 on the highway and it speedometer said 45, tachometer is always pegged out !!

- Grafton, OH, USA

Dec 102009

Impala

Vehicle speedometer suddenly quits functioning. Speedometer suddenly shows high speed (example 120 mph) when driving highway speeds. Speedometer remains stuck in this position. I was able to clear the error after returning home and cycling the ignition from off to on many many times. Now the tach just !@#$% out and stays at 6:00. I been also having transmission issues to where the tranny would occasionally shift hard then be fine for a while then back to shifting hard?

- Shirley, NY, USA

Aug 112008

Impala

Instrument cluster failure on 2004 Chevy Impala.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Dec 262009

Impala

Headlights and interior lights went off while driving.

- New Richmond, WI, USA

Sep 102009

Impala

Speedometer starts at random speeds and then continues like it started at zero. It sometimes says 80 or 100 mph when you are not moving and then continues to go higher as you drive. Obviously you have no idea how fast you are driving.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA