2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 17 of 20)

Dec 022008

Impala

Just driving normally to and from work the speedometer will stop working not allowing the driver to be able to tell how fast they are going. Even after shutting the car off the speedometer will not display the proper speed the vehicle is traveling. This is the same failure that GM had made a recall for their trucks and SUV's but will not fix the car's gauge clusters.

- Covington , KY, USA

Sep 042008

Impala

At 38,000 miles...the speedometor fails when you are on the highway. At first it just slowly dropped to 0. then the thermometer went haywire; I ck'd the engine everything was fine...it registers all around the globe now. Now the speedometoer works when it wants to....I travel a lot, and this thing settles down after a long trip hopefully...last time it went to the bottom of the gauge. I just can't wait for a cop to see my malfunction. Can he still give me a ticket if I legally have no idea how fast I am traveling? legally you should get that ticket! make me see a judge GM! I bought a GM certified car in order to find out that it does not mean anything! your brakes are killing me too! my boss's Toyota is going on 80,000 mi. They will be good for $100,000 mi. I am the one putting on the highway miles here! I am at approx. $50,000 miles. Remember...I got the car at $28,000 miles. I am a highway traveler.....in just a year I have put on $20,000 miles. Highway miles! I think GM got bad brakes! the rotors are done! I thought I was buying a safe trustworthy car. I got trash. I will buy foreign next time; especially if you do not cover my instrument cluster gone wrong!

- Lansing, MI, USA

Aug 012005

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala security light comes on, locks the ignition, and doesn't allow the car to crank at anytime.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Impala

Dashboard indicators turn on and off randomly. Car won't start. Symptoms are intermitant.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Dec 152008

Impala

Engine temperature gauge stopped working, then shortly afterwards the speedometer failed. Does not read the correct speed or reads 0 most of the time.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Mar 052005

Impala

Along with several hundred others on this same page, the instrument cluster on the 2004 Chevrolet Impala is failing. Temp gauge quit working a few weeks ago, now the speedometer has failed. Creates an unsafe condition. Chevrolet denies knowledge of defect, but dealer does acknowledge; however, will cost $500-700 to repair. Since this is a know defect, and a significant safety issue, why does NHTSA take no action?

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 112008

Impala

I purchase a 2004 Chevy Impala in January '06-my gas gauge went almost a year now. I have paid 700 to replace and now it doesn't work at all. Now the speedometer has gone. I have read tons of consumer reports of things I can anticipate will go soon and I am disgusted that GMC, Chevy, etc is not doing anything for its customers but rip them off with repair jobs that don't fix the problem.

- Charlott, NC, USA

Mar 032009

Impala

Speedometer stats slowing down when driving. Eventually reads about 20 mph when doing really 70 mph.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Sep 102007

Impala

The speedometer started reading incorrectly. It goes up, but does not go back down when you slow down. Now the temperature gauge is doing the same thing. I also owned a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 that had the same problem. The Chevrolet dealer repaired the problem at no cost to me. However, when I contacted Chevrolet about the 2004 Impala, I was told that they knew about the problem, but were not correcting it at that time under any recall. If I wanted the problem fixed, I would have to pay for it myself. I feel that this is a safety issue that Chevrolet should correct as they did with the 2004 Silverado.

- Waco, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Impala

The speedometer on my 2004 Chevrolet Impala stops working randomly. It sometimes goes up way past 120 mph. Oddly, I'm able to reset it by turning the car off and the turning the key to the A/C position. This only sets the speedometer back a little way each time so I have to turn the key back and forth like 20 times to get the speedometer to reset back to zero. It'll work fine for a little while and then it'll go crazy again.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Jan 012009

Impala

The speedometer became erratic and completely stopped working; stuck on 80 or 100 mph at all times. Dangerous to drive in poor weather due to inability to judge speed of vehicle accurately. This could lead to possible motor vehicle accident and/or speeding tickets. Nothing done by owner at this time due to costly repair; feel GM recall appropriate due to many online complaints for same issue. This equipment should be recalled.

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Nov 252007

Impala

Speedometer and tachometer started reading erratically constantly. I did not have the ability to know what speed I was going. Instrument cluster was replaced at dealership. The old part was not made available, they said it had to be returned to be refurbished. Cost: $508.28.

- Glendale, NY, USA

May 062008

Impala

Driving my 2004 Chevrolet Impala on the expressway, at the speed limit of 65 in rush hour traffic my speedometer started advancing until it was over 120mph. I maintain my place, pacing the other but I had no idea of my speed. I found out that Impala have a history of defective speedometers. Since my vehicle was over warranty, they wanted to charge me to replace the speedometer. A GM mechanic told me how to temp fix it, but I recurs often. GM must recall these defective speedometers! even if you take your vehicle to a mechanic or GM dealership you don't know if the temp fixed it or actually replaced the speedometer? someone is going to get killed because they can not judge their highway speed. I understand that some other GM vehicles (eg.Tahoe) has the same problem. Can you get us a recall and fix? GM mechanics know about this problem.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Feb 172009

Impala

My 2004 Chevy Impala speedometer is not working. I have my children in the car with me you people should recall this problem. I don't want anything to happen to me or my children.

- Charleroi, PA, USA

Dec 272008

Impala

Speedometer is erratic. Cannot tell what actual speed is at any time. Also gas gauge does not work properly. Cannot tell how much gas is in the tank. Also wipers are not working properly. Where's GM with a recall to fix these problems? these are all safety issues.

- Washington Boro, PA, USA

Feb 102009

Impala

Speedometer is giving false readings. Gauge will not go down past 60mph even when parked and turned off. Recently bought car used from a friend who also complained of this problem. Speedometer goes haywire frequently. Luckily I have not been pulled over. Nothing has been done about this problem due to lack of money for repairs. This is a safety issue and needs to be addressed.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jan 212009

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala ls. While driving 35 mph, the speedometer dial suddenly began to rise. The dial did not stop and went into the hundreds when the vehicle was really only traveling at an estimated speed of 35 mph. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but the failure still occurred. When the vehicle was restarted, the dial did not move. After a few days, the dial began to drop and eventually went back to zero. The dealer stated that the steeper motor cluster needed to be replaced, which has not yet been done. The manufacturer refuses to assume responsibility for the defect. Through research, the contact found numerous complaints regarding the same defect. The current and failure mileages were 63,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 022009

Impala

While driving to Chicago the tachometer went all the way to the red. After pulling over to confirm the car was not running hot, I found that I could reset the gauge by slowly turning the key on and off to the accessory position; until the needle reached its original position. This continued to happen sporadically for a month or so, and then I noticed I was driving on the interstate with the flow of traffic, but the speedometer was only reading 30 miles per hour. I had previously used my cruise control at the set speed, and was able to use the 'resume' button to give me an approximation of how fast I was currently going. This allowed me to get home safely. Again, I was able to reset the speedometer by turning the key in the ignition to the on and off position. The next failure came shortly thereafter, with the gas gauge. Knowing that it was a full tank, it was reading empty; again being reset with the on/off of the key in the ignition. I took the car to the local dealership to get these safety issues taken care of, and was informed this was going to cost me $600 because it was out of warranty... it only has 40K miles on the vehicle. I have been trying to resolve this through Chevrolet ever since then, and they agreed to pay 1/2. this only leads me to believe that it is indeed a safety issue that should be covered by the manufacturer. I can't drive a vehicle without a speedometer, tachometer, or gas gauge, and I can only wonder how many other individuals are out there that have been in this same situation.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Jan 272009

Impala

Speedometer on 2004 Impala stops working--freezes up. Have to stop car and about 15 to 30 minutes for speedometer to work. This malfunction of the speedometer is occurring more and more. Dealer and Chevrolet customer service said that they would not pay to fix this problem. GM issued a bulletin #07187B stating that they would repair this problem on 2003-2004chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe along with GMC Sierra, Yukon etc. I want to know why the 2004 Chevrolet Impala is not included in this extended warranty that they issued as it is the same problem as the other vehicles.(definitely a safety problem) please help me.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Oct 012008

Impala

All three gauges in the instrument panel have ceased functioning. At first, the defect affected only the temperature gauge. Shortly thereafter, the speedometer stopped working. Finally, the problem also affected the fuel gauge which no longer functions either.

- Allegany, NY, USA