2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Jan 162009

Impala

Intermittent vechile speedometer. & tachometer starting two days ago, the speedometer on this vechile started acting odd. After turning a curve, the speedometer rose to 70mph and remainded there. Had to turn my key from the on to off position many times to get it to reset. However this fix only worked for a few minutes. I am afraid that if I continue to do the key cycle, my starter will be worn out. According to a Chevrolet dealership, the repair cost for this will be $600. I do not understand why this issue has not been brought up to the attention of GM for a recall. Many people have attempted to do so; however, GM does not seem to care. This type of issue can cause many issues up to and including road hazards. It would be wise for GM to place out a recall for this. I will be collecting emails for this at the following E-mail addy:

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 092008

Impala

I bought a 2004 Chevy Impala drove it less then one year when the instrument panel began to not work. It started out by giving a high temp. Reading then the speedometer would not go back down to 0 when stopped. When the car drove again the speedometer would increase where it left off. I was able to reset the speedometer by turning the ignition to accessory then off then back on; it would go down in small increments. This temporary fix is no longer working and the speedometer does not work at all. I have gone to numerous websites and this appears to be a common problem on this car once the mileage reaches above 50000. I would like for there to be a recall so that Chevy is required to replace this defective part at their expense.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 112008

Impala

Speedometer on 2004 Impala maxed out when driving and also read 40-70 while parked. The entire cluster panel was replaced. This is a common problem and a recall should be issued since it potentially could be a safety issue.

- Leo, IN, USA

Jan 042009

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer operating erratic. Driving on ice is dangerous because I was going approx 60mph and it showed 38mph. I was going past the mile markers at one per 60 seconds.

- Spirit Lake, IA, USA

Dec 272008

Impala

My speedometer was reading 75 and it felt like we were barely moving. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, the speedometer read 40 miles an hour.. so we continued on our way home, and it is still stuck on 15. I will get checked out as soon as possible. The reason that I'm complaining is that I just learned of your web site by browsing on my pc for warranty's on 2004 Impala's. I read a lot of the complaint's about people complaining about there Impala's. I noticed that I have or have had the same problems that they have, or have had with the stepper motors going bad. Sounds like there is a recall type problem here that GM is not taking care of it has to do with all GM products for the years 2003 to 2006. This is not a part that can be abused by the car owner. It is a defective part and needs to be replaced by the manufacture. There is a very serious safety issue here and needs to be taken care of before someone gets hurt or killed. There is thousands of people with the same problem I have seen searching the web for Impala speedometer problems.

- Sebring, OH, USA

Dec 232008

Impala

Speedometer on my 2004 Chevrolet Impala has stopped working properly and gives erroneous readings. Can read anywhere from 0 to 120+ mph at normal highway speeds and from 0 to 60 mph when you are stopped at a traffic light. Additionally, the temperature gauge instrument is also malfunctioning. The vehicle was taken to the Chevrolet dealer and they inform me that the repair will cost $460. The speedometer defect is extremely hazardous as this is an important piece of safety equipment. I contacted Chevrolet customer service 800-222-1020 who advised that they have a service bulletin #07-187 for this same problem on other Chevrolet models but the Impala is not included on the bulletin. NHTSA now has 48 pages of complaints on this same problem with the same vehicle.

- Snow Hill, MD, USA

Oct 242008

Impala

After 20 to 30 minutes on the interstate, the speedometer slowly falls to 20 or 0 mph, all while you are still moving at around 70 mph. The odometer continues to function during this time. If you stop the vehicle, the speedometer seems to recalibrate, and takes another 20 to 30 minutes to reinduce. No trouble codes were set. To replicate the problem, you would need to get a dealer to drive on the highway for 1/2 an hour...it never fails around town. The dealer acted like they had never heard of such a thing, but they wanted big $$ to replace the instrument cluster. Based on piles of corroborating information online, I replaced the instrument cluster stepper motors myself with switch part # X25.168 which fixed the problem. If you are handy, you can do it in an hour with only a screwdriver and a solder iron. The failing speedometer motor that I removed was binding slightly; the working motors for the fuel and temp gauges were not. GM's denial of this problem while it is all over the internet is hard to understand. I guess they would go bankrupt if they replaced the failing clusters, but they would not even provide information like the GM part number for the failing motor, nor would they identify the vendor. I had to use news group hearsay and order the parts from a vendor on ebay.

- Westbrook, ME, USA

Dec 122008

Impala

Speedometer failed approximately 1 year ago. Instrument cluster replaced and now the speedometer has stopped working again.

- Springtown, TX, USA

Nov 222008

Impala

Speedometer does not work properly. Think I'm driving the legal speed limit and come to find out I am not and have not been for a year or so now. New problem as of 11/08, headlights go out completely when high beams are turned on for a short time. Major safety hazards and GM has done nothing to fix the problems (see carcomplaints.com re: 2004 Chevy Impala's). I can not afford to fix another problem with this car, so nothing has been done to fix it.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Sep 012008

Impala

Dashboard instrument failures. First the RPM gauge stopped working. Then the temperature gauge stopped working. Then the gas gauge stopped working. All within the last 6 months.

- Clay, NY, USA

Dec 062008

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact noticed that the speedometer displayed 120 mph. The contact pulled over to the side of the road, parked the vehicle, and the speedometer displayed 70 mph. The contact drove to his residence. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls related to his vehicle; however, they were not liable for the repairs. The dealer has not been notified. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current mileage was 49,000 and failure mileage was 48,970.

- Hornell, NY, USA

Nov 242008

Impala

I am a single parent, mother of 2 boys who travels with me everytime I drive my car, for about 2 weeks now in my 2004 Chevy Impala the speedometer has not worked, when my car is parked the speedometer reads 60 mph and when I drive my car the speedometer had gone past the 120 mph all the way to the D for drive. I am so upset I can not afford to pay for a new cluster because from my internet search that seems to be the problem I don't have that kind of money. It's a safety issue because I don't know how fast I am really going sometime I might be going to slow for the person behind me and they might get upset thinking I am doing it on purpose an follow me out of anger who knows and if I am going to fast I may cause an accident. This is not good somebody has to do something about this, I am sooooooo upset.

- Pleasantville , NJ, USA

Nov 242008

Impala

I have noticed that for the past few weeks, whenever the temperature is below 20 degrees, the speedometer acts funny. The speedometer reads anywhere from 25 to 80 miles faster than my actual speed; today, I wasn't going any more than 30mph at the most, and the speedometer needle was pointing directly down to the car floor. A few people on a couple of message boards suggested turning the ignition key to 'accessories' on and off rapidly several times, but all it did was bring the speedometer down from 85 to 70.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Nov 102008

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala speedometer erratic, may show 85mph when traveling 50-55mph, or 40mph when traveling 70mph. When problem occurs you can re-zero the speedometer by turning the ignition switch on and off a number of times to get the needle back to zero, because with power off the needle is usually from 35-40mph indication to below zero indication. Cold weather seems to make it not work at all until the vehicle warms up inside the car. I have a case file with Chevrolet for monetary help, but I also believe this is a safety issue. Thank you!

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Dec 022008

Impala

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala that has a malfunctioning speedometer. It will read I am going 140 mph when I am only going 20 mph. Sometimes it goes the other way and it will read 0 mph when I am going 55 mph. I have read of similar complaints with the same make and model. I think it is a defect that needs a recall. This could be a real safety issue with not knowing the correct speed in which you are traveling.

- Juneau, AK, USA

Jun 072008

Impala

Speedometer reads intermittently. Sometimes it comes back on and reads for awhile, other times no reading at all and still other times reads low or high....car is 4 years old has 60-70 K miles. Speeding violation and distraction while driving.

- Arroyo, PR, USA

Jul 012008

Impala

Speedometer and fuel gauge went out unexpectedly at around 45000 miles in July. Fuel gauge doesn't work at all (below E all the time) and speedometer reads incorrect readings or just stays below 0. I had it "diagnosed" at a Chevy dealer so I could call Chevy and complain. They said they wouldn't fix it, and the projected cost was $400. This is GM's fault and I should not have to pay out-of-pocket to fix their mistakes.

- San Marcos, TX, USA

Nov 202008

Impala

Electrical system: Instrument panel I just purchased a 2004 Impala with 97K on it and while driving home at 65-70 mph it stated I was going 110-130. It created a very dangerous driving condition because their was light traffic and it is very distracting. I was unable to determine my speed the entire time. I believe this could be the cause of an accident because if this problem happens when you are going slower that it states what if it happens when you are going faster. Serious potential to cause accidents because it happens randomly and does not go away.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

May 192008

Impala

This is an on-going problem that started in mid may, 2008. My security light comes on and then a while later, my car won't start for an extended period of time.... I have had this to the Chevrolet dealer 3 times and have replaced the ignition switch and the body control module. They are at a loss of what to do next. I have heard similar complaints with the Impala - and no remedies.

- Dansville, NY, USA

Sep 012007

Impala

The gauge that tells the speed does not work. Everytime I am using the car it gets stuck and the only way to correct the issue is by turning the car on and off. I am sorry, but this is an extreme safety issue. I have no clue how fast I am going or how slow I am going which could lead to a major car accident.

- Lombard, IL, USA