2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 19 of 20)

Oct 182008

The speedometer on my car is very erratic. I can be driving at a consistent speed and the speedometer indicated that I am slowing down. After several minutes, my speedometer indicated I am going 0-20 mph when I know I am doing at least 50-60 mph. The speedometer failure typically occurs after I have driven 50 miles or so, but it occurring more frequently the longer I drive it. I have not had it repaired as the cost is approximately $500.

- Pontiac, IL, USA

Nov 042007

Driving on a trip and all of a sudden my speedometer mph indicator jumper to 90 mph as I was sitting at a stop light. When I proceeded forward the indicator needle reset you 90 mph and this reset continued until it was pointing straight down. It did not reset after turning the ignition off and on. I had no idea how fast my vehicle was going after that. I went to a web site for auto troubles and found 72 reports of the same problem with GM speedometers. I strongly feel that this should have been a recall since a nonfunctional speedometer is a safety hazard. Ps - other GM models also have reports of this malfunctioning speedometers. GM want $500 to replace the entire speedometer, when a simple capacitor fix is all that is required. A temp fix works for a few weeks, they it happens again and GM said if you replace the speedometer and it happens again, then it costs another $500 to replace the replacement? GM wants to fleece us!

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Nov 072008

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala and the cluster has gone out on it, similar Chevy trucks and SUV's have had the exact same issue, but the dealer told me that the cars aren't covered under recall. This is not a problem that I have had go out on any car and it is very odd that the same manufacturer is having the same problems with other vehicles.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Nov 032008

2004 Impala with 43,000 miles. Speedometer failure. While driving, the speedometer slowly begins to read higher and higher values. While traveling approx. 55-60 mph, saw highest reading at 105 mph, read 73 mph standing still. Repeatedly turning car on and off eventually will "0" the speedometer, but problem recurred the next day.

- Forest, VA, USA

Aug 102008

I bought a used 2004 Impala in Aug. 2008 and basically since the first day I got it I have had problems with the speedometer. The dealer promised to have it repaired, but has yet to do so. They keep giving me the run around, and now for the past month my stereo has stopped working. Yesterday my fuel gauge started going haywire. The interior lights only work sometimes. The low tire pressure warning light wont reset. This is a safety problem that needs to be recalled. Because of my speedometer not working I almost went off the side of a freeway on ramp from not being able to tell how fast I was going. I just had to pray that I had slowed down enough to make the curve. Is someone going to have to be seriously injured or die before there is a recall on this. I have been to several websites researching the 2004 Impala and there are hundreds of complaints all saying the same thing. Its time that GM takes responsibility and does something about it. I am not able to have my car repaired because of the cost. It's way to expensive. I will never buy another GM vehicle.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 232008

Everything was working normally and all of the sudden my speedometer began going haywire. I've read that many other Impala have experienced similar problems. It's currently doing 90mph parked in my garage. It sporadically accelerates from wherever the needle is at the time but won't return to zero when it comes to a stop.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Feb 012008

The speedometer doesn't work sometimes. When it moves it doesn't move smoothly, but it jerks up and down, often indicating an incorrect speed. The car has low miles on it and the tcc solenoid and another solenoid regulating line pressure in the transmission has failed, requiring replacement.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Sep 042008

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the speedometer works intermittently and displays inaccurate readings. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the speedometer module needed to be replaced at a cost exceeding $600. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer did not assist because the vehicle exceeded its warranty by thirty days. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 31,000.

- Ocean Grove, MA, USA

Jan 072008

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 15 mph, all of the instrument panel gauges stopped working. Prior to the failure, the heater unit shut off without warning. In addition, after several attempts to start the vehicle, it finally started and drove roughly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and it was discovered that the failures were related to the security system in the control panel. The vehicle was repaired for the malfunctions. Recently, the driver message center and horn were not operating, and the transmission was not running properly. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000 and current mileage was 27,000.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Apr 022008

The electrical clusters suddenly stopped working. All the gauges on my panel do not work. This includes mph, fuel, RPM, etc. Has anyone else had this suddenly happen" should it be recalled"

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Aug 012008

2004 Chevy Impala, 3.4L -- speedometer stops working after driving the car for about an hour. The problem seems more prone to appear if you are on the freeway going a nearly constant speed for a sustained amount of time. Speedometer will work normally on short trips, or after the car has been sitting for a while. Eventually, at some point, the problem happens again. Specifically upon failure, when the vehicle is decelerating, the speedo needle drops, eventually to 0 (zero), but will not go back up again. This started happening after I purchased the car used (from a dealership), so there's no telling from my perspective how long it's really been happening. The car had approx. 71000 miles on it at the time of purchase.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Jan 102008

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 54 mph, the speedometer worked intermittently for two months until it finally failed. A friend of the contact, who owned the same year, make, and model vehicle, was experiencing the same failures. The speedometer has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 54,000 and current mileage was 55,000.

- Lowell, IN, USA

Dec 152006

Driving at night with high beams on, all lights went out, approx. 10 mins later started functioning again but did it twice more in 10 miles. Since that time speedometer and tachometer are erratic, if they function at all. Repair shop stated that dash computer, replaced it but did not correct problem. Been running w/O high beams since and have to use gps for speed.

- Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Aug 212008

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was experiencing difficulty turning the key in the ignition. He eventually could not get it to turn at all, which prevented him from starting the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and will be towed to the dealer soon. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 95,000.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Oct 142007

I have a 2004 Impala that has an erratic speedometer movement. I haven't had an accident as a result of this problem, but it has caused me to become confused and anxious about my exact speed. I am concerned about the possibility of having an accident as a result of this problem. I have contacted GM's customers service about this problem and requested they correct it under warranty. They refused to comply with my request. I know this is a problem with other GM vehicles that is being corrected under a recall. I believe it to be the same part failure, only different type vehicle. If I should have an accident as a result of this situation I believe GM will be liable. Sometimes the speedometer appears to be working correctly and this only adds to the confusion when it isn't correct. My wife has driven at excessive speeds not knowing the speedometer wasn't correct. We first reported this problem to a chevorlet dealership Oct. 2007 although we had first noticed a problem months earlier. The problem progressively worsened. Now it's become a real problem, not knowing how fast I'm going and especially in heavy traffic at unknown speeds.

- Oxford, AL, USA

Jan 012008

Speedometer and tachometer are acting erratic. Gauges are all over the place, either not working at all or is giving me a false reading. If I am driving at 35mph the speedometer might be reading either 15 or 35 or 75, it changes all the time.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Oct 012007

Instrument panel we noticed that the temp gauge was reading that the car was overheating when it shouldn't. it was intermittent at first, so we checked fluid levels and everything checked out. Then we realized that meter wasn't resetting when we turned off the car. It was operating as though wherever the needle left off was 0, so the car read as overheating. A few months later it spread to the speedometer. Sometimes the needle would stick at 10mph and sometimes it would remain at 0. sometimes it would work fine. Then one day it also stopped all together and remained at 0.

- Albany, NY, USA

Jul 162008

We have a Chevy Impala and the speedometer doesn't work properly. Sometimes it stays at 0 and other times it says some ridiculous speed. It happens every time we drive the car. The problem hasn't been fixed yet.

- Gaines, MI, USA

Jan 012005

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala and have been having problems with it from the day I bought it. When I got the "new" car I was not informed that the car had been wrecked, yeah, a "new" car. Then for the past few years we have had trouble with it cranking. Sometimes it will take up to 2 hours to get it to crank. We had heard that it could be something with the started and the dealer said there isn't anything that we can do because you are over your mileage. This is a very known issue and something needs to be done about it. I have been without my for 24 hours as of 7/26/2008 at 10:23 am because it now will not crank. We have tried all the little secrets that have been working in the past. I am taking it to the shop on Monday and hopefully it is not going to cost my both of my legs and arms. I think that GM should do something about these well known problems if they want people to keep buying their cars. I can tell you that I will never buy another GM car if something in the near future isn't done about this problem and I will spread the word all over the internet and here in town. Word of mouth can make or break a company. I know I am just one right now but soon I will be many and something will be done.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jul 092008

The ignition stopped working. The key would not turn. The car only has 19,000 miles. This is going to cost $600 to fix. The car was purchased new in 2004.

- Centerville, OH, USA