2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 20)

Aug 282015

Impala

I have replace the ignition switch, starter three times in two years, the alternator and three batteries in two years. Also had several frequent tune ups. There is something going on with the electrical system.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Dec 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving various speeds, the low beam head lamps failed to work. The contact had to apply the high beams each time the failure recurred. Also, the turn signals failed to work when applied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. MA 10/19/2015

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Sep 192007

Impala

The transmission shift sensor has had to be replaced 2times in the past 8 year due to it being faulty. I am not sure what kind of a safety issue this could be but it really starts just randomly jerking into gear for no reason, I had it replaced 8 years ago and now again it is getting done, on top of that the ignition pass lock sensor has been causing the car not to start and from everything I have research this is a problem on GM cars from 2000-2004, I filed several complaints on car complaints.com and you can clearly see there is a problem. It's going to cost me over $1100 to get theses two things fixed. I am very upset that Chevy chooses to ignore these problems. Over the past 4 months I have been stranded over 10 times because my car just wouldn't start. It took the shop a few days to even diagnosis it because they had to get them both to act up due to the computer not storing codes.it seems to me there is some electrical issues with this year but GM chooses to ignore these complaints

- Greencastle, IN, USA

Jun 012010

Impala

Vehicle stalled in traffic on various occasions, had it towed to local mechanic twice. On other occasions he provided advice to circumvent the problem, most occasions was to wait, remove and reinsert the key and start the car. Took the car into the local dealer (now bill kay), they advised that the ignition switch would have to be replaced (at an exorbitant cost to me). I had our local mechanic replace the switch, and it's been fine since. The problem is that I have two key for the car, one for the ignition switch and another for the doors and trunk. When I received the recall I contacted bill kay, relayed the specifics of my issue, and advised that I was not seeking reimbursement for all my expenses, but would appreciate them rekeying the vehicle so that I could use one key for the ignition, doors and trunk. They advised that this recall did not cover the ignition, and provided no resolution. Have contacted them several times with the same result.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 042015

Impala

The vats system will not let me start my car for 10 to 20 minutes. The system has broken down and my thinking is that GM should have a recall to fix the issue.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Apr 202015

Impala

After replacing: Battery, starter, starter module, ignition module, and tumbler lock assembly the security light comes on and car will not start.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

When you try start vehicle security light comes on and vehicle does not start. There are many reports of this issue noted online and customers are spending money on batteries and other parts without a fix. GM needs to fix this issue seems like many notes are indicating disgust with the company not responding to this issue.

- Melville, NY, USA

Jun 182015

Impala

I was going down a steep hill - warner hill road - stratford ct. The car battery light came on and I lost power - including brakes. I was able to use the brakes but they were extremely hard to push but they worked. Luckily there was no cars in front or back and the traffic light was green. I was able to coast across the intersection into the sikorski aircraft plant past the guard and was able to stop. I turned the ignition switch and the car worked fine. This car was recalled for ignition switch problems and all the dealer did was to replace the key fob with a lead weight. I believe that they should have replaced the entire ignition switch. Please let me know if you have any information that the ignition switch should have replaced instead of just a key fob replacement which did not work.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Jun 302013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was parked, the ignition key in the start position would not start the vehicle. All the other electrical functions were working normally. The contact stated that the security warning light illuminated during the failure. It took the contact ten minutes to start the vehicle. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The dealer stated that the key ignition cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Dec 242012

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repairs and requests reimbursement for the ignition switch he paid to have replaced.

- Rockwood, TN, USA

May 252015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic, who stated that there was a recall for the pass lock on the key. The mechanic referred the contact to a dealer. The dealer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer stated that the vehicle would not be repaired. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 7/29/15

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Apr 082015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. After rainy weather conditions, water leaked from underneath the front passenger side dashboard. There was an accumulation of water on the front passenger side floor. The failure caused an electrical shortage and the radio speaker became damaged. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the water deflector shield would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Utica, NY, USA

Sep 052007

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle security light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

May 022015

Impala

I was drive home from work at night and my security light came on my car. The next thing it was off. While I was driving to work after leaving home the light came back on and stay on. I got to work and look in my GM manual and seen that I should take it to a dealer. I went to my car after work to go home the light was off. I stop to get gas. My car would not start. Nice man came and said lets disconnect the battery. He did. My car started. I was ok for threes day then the light came back on and my car would not start. I had a recall on the ignition switch in Sept of 2014. Took it to the dealer they only fix the key. I took it to the dealer today they had to fix a part on the ignition switch. Please ask that there is a recall. I dont feel safe with this car. I can't afford a new car. I scared that this car could stop running while driving it. Thank you

- Mebane, NC, USA

Jan 152015

Impala 6-cyl

I turned the key to start the car and was driving and my gas hand, speedometer and oil indicators just fell to the bottom of the circle. Instead of showing me the amount of gas I have the red needle falls behind the "E". the same is true for the speedometer, the needle just falls to the bottom, and the cold/hot indicator is at the bottom of the panel. Isn't this an electrical problem?

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Mar 122014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the fuel gauge failed to provide the accurate reading level and the speedometer did not display the correct speed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel gauge and the speedometer needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Dupo, IL, USA

Mar 112015

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to recall notice #14350. The consumer stated she had unnecessary repairs done on the vehicle, as the safety issue could not be identified. The consumer stated on several occasions, the vehicle would not start. The ignition switch tumbler was replaced.

- Grafton, WI, USA

Mar 212015

Impala

Come on now, I see the complaints on a bunch of things that is wrong with my 2004 Impala. An there is more than one person saying it. There seems like there is a serious problem here that you guys seem to be ignoring an refusing to fix. I think its about time for some people to get together and file some kind of lawsuit against you guys if you don't address these issues. Now for the same complaints for my Impala, number 1 it does not like to start sometimes and then I have to wait 20 mins to an hour just for it to finally start. Number 2 the security light stays on. Number 3 the gages to my speedometer and gas move all over the place and doesn't give me the accurate reading. Other experiences I've had noticed is that my brights don't always like to shut off the first time, the car pulls mainly to the right, but also back and forth. And all the buttons and light to my radio works but no sound comes threw. I haven't experienced any of the other things in the complaints yet but these ones I have an they need to be addressed like I said before something is done about it by the people. Thank you

- White Cloud, MI, USA

Nov 132014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts were not available for several months. While waiting for the part for the recall repair, the key was difficult to turn over and the vehicle stalled more than twice. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The failure mileage was not available.

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Mar 302015

Impala 6-cyl

My security light pops on and then when I turn my car off it won't start back up for at least 20 mins. It happens randomly and leaves me stranded...I seen other reviews and this seems to be an issue with GM vehicles.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA