2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 20)

Apr 302015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle's pass lock security light illuminated continuously.áalso, the engine failedáto turn over and start. The contact stated that the vehicle took up to an hour to start. The contact was able to remove the key completely from the ignition while the engine was running. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.áá

- Chester, VA, USA

Apr 202016

Impala

For the past couple months the security light in my car has come on at random times. It wont allow me to start my car for 10-15 minutes and also will randomly come on while I am driving. I have talked the my Chevy dealer and they told me the could replace the BCM but no guarantee that this would fix the problem. They told me this is a very common failure for the Impala and it could be multiple things with the tdm(theft deterrent module) system. I have spoken with Chevy as well and was told their was no plan for a recall on this. The dealership says a new BCM plus install and programing will be $750 but they wont guarantee that it will fix the problem. The whole tdm system is faulty and needs to be fixed.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 182016

Impala

For the past few weeks I will go to start my car and it will not crank over. But the security light in the message center will blink constantly. At times while I'm driving it will begin to flash also. It takes about 15-20 minutes before my vechile will start after multiple tries.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 312016

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling ) and 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- East Point, GA, USA

Jan 182016

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 042016

Impala

The ignition switch at times fails to send power to the starter solenoid or the ignition coil. When the switch is turn on nothing happens at times, the coil works when connected to directly to the battery and the engine starts but stops in a few seconds when the battery lead is removed..

- Foutain Valley, CA, USA

Feb 202016

Impala

The car is equipped with an passlock antitheft system that regularly fails. There are hundreds of the same complaints by owners all over the internet. The car won't start for at lease 10 minuted because it thinks it's being stolen. Sometime it won't start at all and I have to unhook the battery and try to bypass the system. I learned that this has happened to others while driving almost causing a collission. The dealership I go to acts like they've never heard of it and can't fix it. It's unsafe for my wife and kid to be riding in.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Feb 122016

Impala

I bought my 2004 Chevrolet Impala (3800 V6 engine) new, which has now less than 12,000 miles, & I drove primarily for running errands. One month ago, its body computer memory went bonkers. The day after I returned after xmas, I went to get grocery. As the car was normal the previous day, I did not expect any problem. However, upon finishing shopping 30 minutes later, I found the car (1) honking non-stop, (2) its dome lights could not be turned off, (3) the ┐door ajar┐ warning jingled all the way ┐ even though I stopped by roadside to ensure all doors were closed. On top of that, (4) the turning signals (both left & right) stopped working. About 5 minutes after returning home and locking up the car, (5) the honking/dome lights/door warning started again. Although I reset the control panel, the problems did not go away. I therefore took the car to the dealer, but their mechanic could not find the causes offhandedly, and an appointment was made to thoroughly check the car with diagnostic instruments. However, on the day of the appointment (1/26/16), everything was normal again, and diagnostic tests could not find anything wrong by the dealer. Today (2/12/16), the turning signals malfunctioned again briefly and worked again, but (6) the instrument panels were all erroneous, with readings of fuel, coolant temperature, tachometer above limits - even when the car is stationary. I expect that it is a matter of time that (7) the speedometer will also go defective. At that time, the dash board will have to be replaced as a whole, costing more than $500 dollars. Obviously, the computer system is not working right. I should add that my car has been maintained regularly with the dealer. I hope my report will bring NHTSA's attention to the above parts/workmanship problems of GM.

- Pullman, WA, USA

Oct 052005

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 60 mph, the contact turned off the high beam headlights and the electrical system failed without warning. The contact had to park the vehicle and manipulate the high beam switch on the steering column in order for the lighting/electricity to return. In addition, the vehicle received a recall repair for the ignition key where the key was replaced. Afterwards, when the key was in the ignition and turned, the vehicle failed to start. Once the vehicle was started and the key was in the on position, the vehicle would stall without warning. The contact had to manipulate the key in the start position several times in order to start the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the switch on the steering column and body control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that because the vehicle was over 10 years old, they were unable to assist with the repair. The failure recurred. The failure mileage was 42,536.

- Polland, OH, USA

Dec 202013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. Two years ago, the contact noticed that the instrument panel lights dimmed without warning. Two days later, the contact smelled a burning odor and the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a tune up. The failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was never the same after the tune up. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V400000 (electrical system) and 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 128,000. Parts distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Cleaveland, OH, USA

Dec 012015

Impala

Faulty/worn ignition switch in this vehicle will generate the following issues: (determined through trial and error due to chronic electrical issues:) 1). Engagement and disablement of ABS system because of lack of good power to the system from the ignition switch circuit. 2). entire loss of directional system(turn signals) again because of lack of good power to the system from the ignition switch circuit. These two situations lead to vehicle that is unsafe to drive at the time of the failure which may happen stationary or while in motion. These issues were intermittent and would happen at any time. Ignition switch in a vehicle should not generate issues such as this.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Nov 192015

Impala

The only recall I was able to find out was for the ignition, . my transmission just went out 11/19/2015, it will not switch into gear, it starts just fine no check engine light but left me stranded. Turned the car off and when I started it again it drove just fine, so I slowly drove it home. I don't get on the highway no more because it lacks power the get up is not there mind you yes I have 225K miles on it but I have had about 10 trouble codes and I managed to get rid of them all when I cleaned the tps, aic, and map sensor new egr valve, oil change tune up transmission flush all has been done this year and still on the highway it struggles, I did have one code that popped up 0420 so at this point I have been thinkin to just replace the catalytic converter when I get my taxes, but the problem is just getting worse and worse, so then I am thinking its the fuel pump, I mean my alternator is fine, I know I am sick of the security light always coming on, my left blinker only works in the day time at night never which is the weirdest thing, my windshield blades only work on the fastest setting, in the winter when it rains or snows my doors when we get inside to lock them the lock and unlock and the panel says door ajar when there is no door ajar, it will drive just fine as it nothing was ever wrong. Inconsistent and whats even weird is now the check engine light wont even come on after my transmission failed me in the middle of the road you would think the computer was able to record something. Once tranny fixd I will get the ignition recall fixed originally a loud noise was coming from engine like a screeching noise so I figured it was the alternator now that noise is gone but the minute I felt it wasn't the tranny, my car at the light would not go at all until I turned it off and back on. Please help

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 082014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after multiple attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the ignition switch was replaced but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under the NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Oct 192015

Impala

When trying to crank vehicle passlock code won't allow car to crank until after 10 minutes. The security light will blink until its ready to crank again. Vehicle was stationary.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Apr 102015

Impala

The check engine light and other warning indicator lights come on while vehicle is in motion. The radio and air conditioner fail to function properly when the warning lights flicker on. Therefore I am checking to see if there is a recall on this particular problem...............

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jun 152013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the ignition key was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The contact inspected the vehicle and stated that the ignition switch needed to replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 122,000.

- Bemidji, MN, USA

Feb 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the key was turned to start the vehicle, it failed to start and the security warning light illuminated. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

Sep 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While operating the vehicle, the low beam and high beam lights failed to work. The contact had to maneuver the switch to get the low beams and high beams to work. The contact was concerned that the failure could happen again without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 98,270.

- Groton, CT, USA

Jan 292013

Impala

While driving on the freeway on a black night the headlights suddenly went out completely. The dash lights remained on and everything else was normal. After braking to an emergency stop I discovered that if I flicked the dimmer switch the lo-beam would come on. Some time later, when I flicked the dimmer switch the hi-beams came back on. This situation happened periodically since then but I could also regain some light by flicking the dimmer. On September 4, 2015 on a busy highway at night the lights went out and I could not flick the dimmer switch. It would not click. It seemed to be jammed so no lights. At present I have headlights (bright only) if I hold the dimmer switch up. As soon as I let it go all lights go out.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Aug 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 15 mph, the contact activated the right turn signal and heard an abnormal noise, but no signal illuminated at the time of the turn. The contact stated that the battery and brake lights illuminated intermittently. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the multi function switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 141,151.

- Springfiled , VT, USA