7.6

2. replace cluster (17 reports)
  3. repair cluster (7 reports)
  4. 217 instrument cluster complaints @ odi.nhtsa.dot.gov (3 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Feb 082007

Impala 3.2L V6

All gauges stopped working one at a time. 1. Speedometer 2. Engine Temp 3. Gas gauge. Been a pain in the ass, luckily have another car I use for lengthy trips. Planning on fixing this month. (05-2013)

- , Poway, CA, USA

Oct 012008

Impala LS 3.8L

Speedometer failed. Made it look like I was going much faster than I was. When I slowed to 70 MPH cars on interstate were passing me at a high speed. Clocked speed between mile markers to calculate speed. This was a while ago so I don't remember the exact cost to repair but it was expensive and necessary.

- , Mandeville, LA, USA

Dec 282012

Impala V6

On my way to work this morning I looked down to check how fast I was going and my speedometer said 80mph. I thought to myself no way, it feels like I'm only doing 40mph. When I stopped at the stop sign, it did not go down. So, a little bit unraveled, I called the Chevy division of GM and all they could tell me was that I did the right thing by calling and complaining and that the only way they can issue a recall is when they hit so many numbers of people calling in a complaining. Only then will they investigate the issue and post a recall. So by all means FLOOD THE CALL CENTER! One of the guys kept telling me to go to a dealership even after I explained that being a single mother, I didn't have the money. So please call them and complain, everyone who is having these problems deserves to have GM correct their mistakes. Not just me!!!

- , Allegan, MI, USA

Oct 122009

Impala Plain 3.4L

cluster gauges problems keep giving incorrect readings

- , Monroe, LA, USA

Nov 052011

Impala LS 3.8L

I was driving to work one morning & i got stop from the police for speeding doing 58 in a 40 mpr.Zone my speedometer was not working it was on zero. Today i got to go to court about this & yes i got my speedometer fixed & it's working just find now. I'm pissed about this.

Joe Cruz

So tell me if your speedometer dose not work do you how fast you are going?

(that if you the only car on the road).

- , Mt.Juliet, TN, USA

Oct 012011

Impala LS

We bought this car in July of 2011 the problem started about 2 months later. I notified Chevy on line and went through a series of questions. they offered to buy the cluster but I had to pay to have them installed. That would have been okay but since i'm disabled income is very limited. They went so far as to ask me how many GM vehicles I had purchased. I replied with in the last 11 years I had purchased 9 GM products 4 which were new they said that didn't justify them paying for the installation. wow I guess they should have all been new. They also said they hadn't had many complaints on the Impala which must be a lie when all you have to do is Google it and many issues come up pertaining to cluster problems. Looks like its Ford for me the next time!!!!!!!

- , West Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Dec 082010

Impala 3.2L

I have no way of knowing how fast I am going which is a danger to others, I have no fuel gauge and now my temperature gauge is going. My speedo is a safety issue the government should issue a repair or replace mandate to the dealers. I feel my other gauges should be covered as show to others many others would have the same problem. Chevrolet should not have its head in a dark place.

- , lexington, KY, USA

Oct 152007

Impala V6

The instrument panel in my car went out. I couldn't tell how fast I was going. This car was only 3 years old at the time!!!! I took it into the dealership and they wanted $500.00 minimum to fix. Right........ I went out and got a $100.00 GPS and have been using the speedometer on it since to see how fast I'm going. Worthless car.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 182011

Impala

First the speedometer went out, but if I restarted the car it would correct itself. Finally, it just stopped completely, now the temperature gauge is showing the car is running hot. Sitting still I am overheated and going 120 plus. My mechanic says cluster needs to be replaced. My son's Impala had same problem for years on his 02--he never replaced the cluster. He has warned me that soon my gas gauge will go, too. Problem is too expensive and new cluster not guaranteed to work, either.

**Solution: buy GPS for speedometer, use 'check engine light' in case of overheating--I keep a portable diagnostic in the trunk, and when the fuel gauge bites the dust I will use my tachometer. Kind of reminds one of the Clampetts vehicle from the Beverly Hills Billies show.

Since GM is ignoring the problem, I plan to ignore them and not buy the Arcadia my heart was set on (son already went Buick). Will donate this Impala to mom, along with GPS and diagnostic:don't think the Toyota will need them.

- , Clinton, MS, USA

Jan 012008

Impala 3400

our problem started back in 2008 on our way back from a game, when the temperature gauge stopped working. OK dealt with it, then the turn signals starting working only when they wanted to, put up with that for about 2 months, and puff, all of a sudden they started working properly. End of problems, oh, no, now the speedometer went hay wire, that was about a year ago. That is really annoying, especially when we're traveling the highway. The transmission started slipping about 8 months ago. Then about 4 months ago i put gas in the car, got in started it up, and guess what, the gas gauge doesn't work. That's another problem, i really haven't been getting good gas mileage either. I don't understand, we bought this car brand new in 2004, had a heater problem, which was still under warranty, and never really had any other problems until about two years ago when everything started going hay wire. It's probably going to cost us 1,000 or 2 to get these problems fixed; so i guess it's time to just buy a new car, NOT A CHEVY!!!!!!!

- , Scranton, PA, USA

Jun 012009

Impala

the only thing i will said is GM should replace the speedometer without cost to all impalas 2004, never, but never I will buy another impala.

- , Woodburn, OR, USA

Feb 012011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

my 2004 impala ls 3.8l v6 gas gauge points to the 6 o'clock position when i fill the tank up. At the same time the tach reads 7000 rpm and up. As the tank empties, everything begin to return to normal. The onboard computer seems to indicate that the range and the low fuel lights are working ok.

- , Indianapolis, IND, USA

Dec 072010

Impala LS 3.8L

I have actually loved this car! But, the speedometer gauge got confused or something and cause speedometer gauge to show I am going 110MPH when I am really parked. The past week this has been happening on my transits to and from work. This usually happens when I am almost to work or home and drive 35 miles one way. My solution to this is let the car sit for couple minutes and I can actually cycle the ignition several times and the gauge drops back to zero were it is supposed to be then it all starts over the next day. The problem that I have with GM is that they recalled all of the Trucks that had the same problem they were produced in the same time frame as the cars that have the same issue. Come to find out the problem was Stepper Motor in the Trucks. The Stepper Motor that was causing the failure was product number XC5.168. Coincidently this is the same stepper motors that are in most of the cars as well. So I want an answer! Why weren't our cars recalled but, the trucks were?

- , Davison, MI, USA

Nov 062010

Impala SS 3.8SC

There are presently 217 instrument cluster complaints registered at odi.nhtsa.dot.gov for 2004 Chevrolet Impala. Manufacturer should cover ALL costs associated with repairing these!

- , Loudon, TN, USA

Aug 102007

Impala SS 3.8supercharged

I am the second owner of my 2004Impala SS. On my way home from work, within miles of the car going over it's 36,000 mile warranty, my speedometer crapped out. It began to stick and freeze up. Now, I have no working gauges at all on my car. Fuel, tach, temp, etc. all stop start peg out wrap around. This was the beginning of the problems with this car. I will also post on others things, but I want to say this now as well, kinda pissed about the whole thing. A few months after the dash problems, my turn signals quit. The lights will just turn on, but not blink, hazard button does the same thing. When I asked a repair shop, hoping it was just a relay, they told me it was something more, and weren't sure how to fix it. Now my map lights on the mirror are started to not work. About half the time when you open the door, they don't turn on. I tap the mirror a few times and then they work. This car has not been wrecked or otherwise damaged. I have been a fan of Chevy my whole life, but I swear that this thing was a time bomb. You could not have planned it any better for the problems to start right at the mileage they did. I see hundreds of posts with the same problems with this generation of car. If Chevy is smart they better address this. Needless to say the van we bought my wife is a Dodge....

- , Creston, IA, USA

May 152010

Impala LS V6

I work as the mechanic on a fleet of vehicles for the local news paper. The great majority are G.M. light duty trucks, and a few cars. Almost every vehicle with an electronic instrument cluster has had a speedometer repair. A G.M. tech. told me it's a money maker because it's not a safety hazard, it almost always happens after the warranty runs out, it's an easy fix and it's expensive. I will fix mine for about $18.00 and a little time.

- , West Haven, CT, USA

May 082010

Impala LX 3.8L

I'm dealing with the exact same problem. Just passed 80K on the odometer when I noticed it for the first time. In the beginning it wasn't too bad, it would only get "sticky" after a half hour + of driving. Now it has I mind of it's own and is completely unreliable. Seems like every 7-8 months something goes wrong requiring hundreds of dollars to repair each time. This speedometer "glitch" is just one more reason why I'll never buy another American car. Can you blame me?

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 042008

Impala LS

Have a 2004 Impala and have been having the same problems as many others with the cluster gauge acting up. Security light on/Trac OFF light on/Check engine on and the most annoying is that a couple of times a month it just won't start. After 10-15 minutes it will start but you never know when the problem will occur.

This is the 4th Chevy vechicle in my family to have these problems. A 2003 Silverado Truck, a 2003 Tahoe , another 2004 Impala and my Impala. Replacing the cluster gage at a $500 expense seems to be the answer, but wake up GM..shouldn't you be fixing these since this problem is so rampant?

All of the above mentioned vehicles also had problems with the steering Spline. Plastic parts which had to be replaced. No more Chevy's in this family. Even with Toyotos very publuc problems, I'll take my chances rather than own another GM vehichle.

- , Bedford, VA, USA

Nov 192009

Impala LT 3.2L

Boy, the electronics suck, besides the cluster, the radio has no output- lights but no sound.

- , Worcester, MA, USA

Nov 182009

Impala SS 3.8L

Same problem as most Impala owners! Gauges go crazy, sometimes work-sometimes don't. Work better the longer you drive and the more times you start the car! I think there should be a recall. Too many with the same problem. Chevrolet needs to fix these. Our Dodge with 202,000 miles has no problems with any gauges. Neither does our van. We just bought this car and it is an Indy Edition with only 47,500 miles on it.. Super nice car with nothing else wrong with it

Never know how much fuel is in the tank and can't tell how fast you are going!!! Car could overheat and you would not know until too late!. The oil gauge is messing up now, too.

- , Mackville, KY, USA