8.7

2. brain of car erased (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 262014

Impala LX 3.4L

i have owned many other vehicles and i have never had this much of a headache. first the speedometer quit working,t hen a coolant leak, now this POS will not start. tried all kinds of tricks on the internet, heard people say that the resistor trick worked. got my son to tear apart my car and all for nothing waste of time. now its just a waste of space to me.

- , Statesville, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Impala SS 3.8L

Car wouldn't turn over, then key wouldn't come out of ignition. Put code reader on and it read error, had it towed to dealer and they said it was because of a fuse under hood not in all the way. Got car and went home. Next morning won't start and key stuck again, read codes and it said no codes, all of a sudden my car has no brain.

So I looked at all wires with a diagram, inside car everything fine. Popped hood and I found a bunch of wires that control everything in car wrapped up in electrical, they were all shredded and torn apart. Looked like they were rubbing on belt. I cut and connected, car started fine and is still starting with no problem. Where did my $200 to the dealership go? Maybe a new popcorn machine!

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Feb 262012

Impala LS 3.8L

I have been reading in the complaints list references to several issues with the automatic transmission not shifting and dashboard instruments failing. I am suspicious that both are related but wanted to know if anyone having experience with getting them fixed.

The transmission issue started about 50,000 miles ago and manifested by the transmission slamming into gear from a stop when driving. I learned that if I shifted the car manually from the stop (when it was actin up), the car pulls away from stop normally. An alternative "short term" fix, would be to turn the car off and let it sit for a few seconds before turning the ignition back on. Typically after doing this the car shifts flawlessly.

The second manifestation of a transmission issue was the hard shifting between gears 1- 2-3 but normal shifting into overdrive. Again, turning the car off/on fixes the problem.

These transmission issues occur maybe 3 - 5 times a week and don't seem to be getting any worse at the moment, but may actually be happening less often.

The next problem was with the speedometer. I first noticed that it was behaving a little jerky when accelerating, jumping 2-3 mph instead of increasing /decreasing smoothly as I sped up or slowed down. After about 6 months of this it started "floating" around with regards to what speed I was driving. The tack does not appear to be malfunctioning and using it I can gauge my driving speed fairly accurately on the highway. If the spedo says I am doing 90 mph while the tac is telling me 70 mph, when I stop the speedo will say 20 mph. It has "floated" in both the negative and positive direction and can change while driving. Turning the car on and off does not seem to have any control of the failure.

The temp gauge is behaving much the same as the speedometer.

Yesterday I experienced a "gross" malfunction of the entire electrical system. I was at the store, so I came out to a warm car. When I tried to start the car, gauges bounced, check engine light flashed and an intermittent buzzing noise came from the dash. The starter made NO attempt to engage and NO error messages were displayed on the little screen that lets you know when the trunk is open, a tire is low, etc. Turning the ignition off did not stop the flashing and buzzing. I had to disconnect the battery to turn off the "show".

Has anyone run into a mechanic smart enough to diagnose the transmission problem as electrical in nature?

If so, what did they need to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

- , Blue Springs, MO, USA