8.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Dec 022013

Impala LS 3.8L V6

This beautiful car has left me stranded more times than I can count, and I had decided it was the ECM, because I could roll it forward with my foot Fred Flintstone style, and it would start. But not today. So far, I have had the ignition replaced, and that seemed to work for awhile—and then it didn't. I took it to another mechanic, and of course, it started just fine for him. I have made countless calls for tow trucks—they arrive, and the car magically starts (again, if it's the ECM, moving it is what does it). Sometimes, the car will start "later," and once, I was out of a car for 3 days.

So who knows how long I will be stranded this time, for the umpteenth time, thinking I will never buy another Chevy, especially not from Jim Butler (last time I was stranded, I left a message for their service department and never got a call back; and keep in mind that I paid them HUNDREDS of dollars several years ago to fix this problem, but it's not fixed—my road hazard insurance can testify to how many times I filed a claim only to cancel it when the tow truck arrived). Supposedly, this is a recall issue on the 2005 Impala, but not on mine, although the web is FULL of similar reports. "Help! My 2001-2005 Impala won't start! I've replaced every part of the system, and it still does it" (Cha-ching, right?) I used to love my car, but now she's just one of those beautiful high-maintenance chicks that you want to dump but you're stuck with.

Thanks, Chevy. I had a Toyota before, and I decided to "Buy American," and this is what I get. Should I make the same mistake again?!!

- , High Ridge, MO, USA

Aug 282011

Impala LX 3.2L

My wife and I are retirees and have had Chevs all our lives to-date, This problem should definately be on "recall", if it is not, we will shortly be purchasing a new car and we can assure GM that it will not be theirs.

This problem has persisted for the past 1.5 years and judging from on-line complaints it appears that GM really doesn't care ... GM is headed for more slumps and consumer dissatisfaction.

If GM reads these complaints and cares, they will soon determine a proper and more permanent fix this problem...and put out a proper and timely "recall".

- , Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

May 102011

Impala

This has happened a few times recently and I don't dare to turn my car off if I need to make a quick stop, especially on my way to work. I brought it to a mechanic and, of course, he can't figure out what's wrong with it. He got it to "act up" twice, but could not get a code to figure out exactly what the problem is. Seriously! I had no idea so many people had the same problem! I had the ignition switch replaced a couple of years ago, which pissed me off because it cost almost $400! Like others, I won't buy another Chevy ... EVER!!!

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 102011

Impala V6

I bought car brand new. First the "security" light issue that i have seen posted. Same with me. Never been fixed, they put in new key switch, etc. I have new battery, etc. But will not start. first all lights on now dead completely. Chevrolet needs to fixt this car at their expense. Nothing else will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is 2011 and I can't afford to get a new car at this time. Do you think I can recomend this model after nothing but trouble since I bought it in 2004?

- , Meridianville, AL, USA

Feb 222011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

My 2004 Impala will simply refuse to start once in a while. The lights come on and the battery and starter are good but it simply will not crank. After fifteen minutes or so it will start fine. It sounds like a lot of owners have this issue and are not getting satisfactory repairs at all. Does anyone know of a fix that really works or at least a way to bypass it ?

- , Worthington, IN, USA

Nov 242009

Impala V6

RIGHT DURING THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY, MY CAR WOULD NOT START. I CALLED FOR A JUMP, IT STARTED. NO PROBLEM FOR A WEEK OR SO. WENT TO START CAR, WOULD NOT START. KEPT TURNING KEY, CAR STARTED AFTER I CALLED MY SON FOR A JUMP. FOR NEXT 2 MONTHS, HAD CAR ON DIAGNOSTICS, SPENT OVER $1200 STARTING WITH OIL CHANGE TO GETTING START, BELTS, TUNE UP, YOU NAME IT. BY FEB, 2010, AFTER CAR WOULD NOT START WITH THE USUAL WAIT, OR A JUMP I HAD T HAVE THE CAR TOWED. MIND YOU I WAS GETTING ALL THIS MAINTENANCE FROM NOVEMBER TIL 2/5/10. I WAS AT A GAS STATION AND HAD TO GET THE CAR MOVED FROM IN FRONT OF THE PUMP. NOW, THE REPAIR SHOP FEELS IT MAY BE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. SO AGAIN, TO AVOID STORAGE FEES I HAD MY CAR TOWED YET AGAIN TO MY SONS HOME. I AM NOW SEARCHING FOR A DEALER TO GET THIS PROBLEM FIXED. BIG SNOW STORM HERE ON EAST COAST SO MAY NOT HAVE A CAR FOR AT LEAST NEXT TWO WEEKS. I NEVER, EVER WANT ANOTHER CAR WITH A SECURITY SYSTEM. JUST THE LOCK/UNLOCK REMOTE IS ENOUGH. THIS IS TOO COSTLY. I STILL HAVE ANOTHER YEAR TO PAY ON THIS CAR. WOW!

- , Wilmington, Delaware, USA

Oct 012009

Impala V6

My 2004 Impala won't start but radio and lights come on. gm needs to do something or tell us what we can do to fix it

- , Lou, KY, Jamaica