2004 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 232013

Impala 6-cyl

First at buying my Chevy Impala it had 115,000mi on it already but desperately needed a car being a single mother. After having the car a little over a month the fuel injectors blew where my car would no longer start. Got it fixed. Next I had to keep putting power steering fluid in (once every week) went to a mechanic, he said my power steering is going to eventually go.. next 2 months after that my car caught on fire through the lighter. Electrical. Called the fire dept. They had to cut the wires and pull the fuse. 2 months after that, my transmission blew. Just like that. I was driving on the high way and approached an accident. After coming to a complete stop tried to pick speed back up and it wouldn't go anymore than 15 mph. I pulled off to a rest area, sat there for 30mins. Reversed out of the parking lot, put it in drive, it wouldn't budge... not to mention a month after buying the car. The turn signals, , brake lights, cruise control, flashers all worked when they wanted too and not when I needed it too. Came close to a few people running in the back of me due to back lights not working.. and my temp, gauge, speedometer and gas gauge do not work. Id be in park with a full tank of gas, it says im going 80mph and gas is empty.. hate this car with a passion.. very dangerous car...would never recommend this car to anyone....

- Lima, NY, USA

May 012012

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that a clunking sound emitted from the steering column while driving over bumps or while turning. The failure recurred at various speeds. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. An authorized dealer informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09E005000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 232008

Impala

1) tried to slow car down. Car would not turn nor halt. Ended up hitting the vehicle in front of me. Restored it 100%. 2) a year later, had 3 brand new rack and pinion's replaced in one month. Had the vehicle checked out. The A-frame is in excellent shape and so is the area surrounding the rack and pinon. Have pictures and mechanics as proof. 3) called the Chevy company & was told that the car was manufactured in Wisconsin. They claim they saw no reason to help with the rack & pinion as those cars were recall-free. 4) car leans towards oncoming traffic at times (this started after each rack and pinion was replaced). There is also a 2 O'clock and 10 O'clock dead zone in the steering column. Steering used to feel a bit normal. It was not like this until I had a new rack and pinion put on. Twice (in between) the boot would excessively leak (as did the original from Chevy). 5) when I turn the wheel out of the driveway, the car makes kick drumming grinding sounds. Was told this was normal. It is irritating though. 6) the car didn't even hit it's 5th year (being new) before it started to rust paint off the top of its roof. I live where there is no snow or coast, and extremely little ice. 7) the check engine light never goes off. Had it checked. Was told it was fine. 8) was driving right next to a cop going down a steep hill when the speedometer stuck at 10 mph. I crossed my fingers that I wasn't speeding since I kept my speed next to the officer. Replaced. 9) combo turning signal & cruise broke off the steering for no reason during a turn. Replaced. 10) locks me out off & on for no reason. 11) this car is my baby as it was one of the last thing I got that was my mother's before she died. It is also my first car that has seen me through (and still) my college years. It is very sentimental to me for those reasons. My dream is to keep this car even when it's a classic.

- Lorena, TX, USA

Sep 142010

Impala 6-cyl

Clicking noise in front end whenever I turn right. Jacked up off the ground there is no noise when in gear and turning right. Is it steering or suspension problem. Replaced both cv joints and hubs. Still clicking.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Apr 012008

Impala

2004 Impala, clunking noise in steering. Seems to be a common problem with this model. It has progressively gotten worse. Now I have slightly loose steering with noticeable play in the steering. Thanks for standing behind known manufacturing problems GM! will be my last GM automobile.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 292010

Impala

Steering rack, fixed on 8/27/09 on 3/29/10 cannot steer to left, limited on right twice turning to left car could not almost had accident with on coming cars and parked cars car towed to my mechanic, says work was done on this, to take back to them. Had to tow to dealers. Was the steering rack once more.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 252010

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala power steering locks making driver unable to turn car during rain or driving through puddles. Started out happening only a second or two, but got progressively worse. Several times, engine cut off, or I had to cut it off to be able to restore power steering. Had it "fixed" by dealer who replaced cluster. It did it again the very next rain. No accident but a "near miss" because I could not get out of the way of a construction site dump truck. I was told I was driving through puddles too fast. I live in Florida, and there is a lot of rain and poor drainage. Other cars going speed limit were not having this problem. It is very dangerous, as I drive a carpool of four children to school. I am sure a manufacture problem, since I saw other similar complaints on twitter

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 092009

Impala

Clunking noise from steering column. I know it is the intermediate steering shaft again. It was replaced in Nov. 2007 and has recurred 20,000 miles later in Nov. 2009. Dealer trying to make me pay for it again.

- Longmeadow, MA, USA

Dec 272008

Impala

Own 2004 Chevrolet Impala. Had vehicle inspected for pulsating feel in steering shaft in 10-10-2005,08-31-06,01-24-07 and finally 12-27-08. Steering shaft was lubricated on 08-31-06 for insufficient lubrication. Now Chevrolet dealer says I need to replace the intermediate steering shaft after my warranty has expired! please refer to NHTSA campaign id number 08E063000 component: Steering. Thank you for your attention into this matter.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Jan 312008

Impala

Began noticing clicking in steering during turns. My 2004 had approximately 21,000 miles on it at that time. Took it to dealer who test drove it and commented that Chevrolet has had an on-going problem with the steering shaft. A fix would cost over $300. I wrote several letters to GM asking why I was asked to pay for repairs on an item they sold knowing it was defective. They eventually offered to pay half the cost of the repairs. I had it repaired by the dealer at a cost of around $140. After describing it to friends who also owned Chevy's (trucks) they commented that theirs was doing the same thing. Made us wonder why a recall wasn't ordered..

- Portage, MI, USA

Dec 012007

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 50 mph and decelerating, the contact observed that the speedometer was providing inaccurate readings. The failure occurs frequently and without warning. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer. In addition, the steering wheel makes a loud clunking noise when making a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but no malfunctions were found with the steering wheel. The failure mileage was 98,000 and current mileage was 103,000.

- Steele, AL, USA

Dec 012007

Impala

The speedometer started getting stuck about six months ago. For about eight months I have noticed that when I turn the steering wheel I hear a noise in the front of the car, like a knock or something. Also within the last couple of months I have also smelled gas when I first start the car, my husband could not see any leakage or anything until last week. It was leaking from the fuel regulator valve. Now the transmission is starting to shift hard sometimes. I haven't had the money to get it all checked out by the manufacturer but I was wondering if there have been any complaints on any of these things. Also I can hear a whistling sound when I press the accelerator. And my husband just informed me that he bought a regulator valve for it and some O rings because something is leaking antifreeze slightly. Can you help please!!!!!!!!

- Steele, AL, USA

Jun 262007

Impala 6-cyl

There is a clicking sound coming from the steering column when turning...started after about 25,000 miles......it always occurs, everytime, and is very annoying.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 302008

Impala 6-cyl

We purchased our 2004 Impala new in may of 2004. There are currently 56,000 miles on it. The speedometer acts crazily and we also have the noise and vibration the steering column. The dealership says the steering shaft will cost at least $100 and a new instrument cluster $300. That doesn't include the cost of labor and state sales tax! these defects need to be addressed. I am almost fearful to let my wife drive this car. After reading all these complaints, I can't believe the government is failing the american consumer trying to buy american products. No wonder the foreign car companies are eating detroit's lunch!

- Colver, PA, USA

Nov 262007

Impala 6-cyl

After purchasing vehicle took it back to have steering checked because it did not feel or sound right when doing a braking and turning steering wheel combination. Mentioned the NHTSA recall of 2004 Impala. Was told did not involve ss. On this occasion was unable to stop the vehicle, unable to steer properly, could not control vehicle. It spiraled and hit a bus stop/pole.

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 262007

Impala 6-cyl

We had just bought a 04 Chevy Impala ls it has 54,000 on it. The intermediate steering shaft is bad. We are thinking that it a manufacture defect not to mention that the speedometer is not working properly either.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Feb 202007

Impala 6-cyl

My 2004 Impala ss has had a chronic problem with brakes and steering. The car now has 64,000 miles on it, and is again experiencing issues with noises in the steering when turning, stopping and starting. The front end just feels loose. This was an issue corrected when the car was under warranty around 35,000 miles. The problem went away, but has returned some 30,000 miles later. Also, had to have the brake rotors turned around 25,000 miles. Today, the car is having its left wheel bearing replaced.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Dec 012006

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle with 34943 miles has clicking feeling in steering wheel when turning. Dealer repacked intermediate steering shaft to fix problem.

- Falmouth, ME, USA

Nov 102006

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Impala has a clunk noise in steering column when turning.

- Flint, MI, USA

Sep 052006

Impala 6-cyl

Used vehicle purchase - clunk in steering upon turning - but not all the time. Concerned this is a safety issue. What if steering goes out?

- Hudsonville, MI, USA