8.1

2. replace cluster (5 reports)
  3. replaced stock alternator for a more powerful one (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 012010

Impala V6

My 19 yr old daughter drives this car. I am constantly reminding her when she leaves the house, to watch her speed. She of course, reminds me that she can't. So, she just goes with the flow of traffic and prays she doesn't get a ticket. So far, so good! It is absolutely ridiculous to think that a company that's had this many complaints and the same ones, that they wouldn't take action, such as a recall and correct the problem.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 312011

Impala

click to see larger images

speedometer & cluster gauges gone haywire

Just as many 2005 Chevy Impala owners have reported, I have NO working fuel, speedometer, or temperature gauges. I am getting real tired of guestimating how fast I'm driving, resetting my trip odometer to zero with each gas fill-up, and hoping I'm not overheating.

The local Reno, NV Chevy dealer wants $600 plus to replace it, but I feel Chevy owes its customers a recall on this widely reported defect.

- , Sparks, NV, American Samoa

Nov 032010

Impala 4S 3.2L V6

This problem has been a pain because you do not know how much gas you have and at one point the heater gauge was moving to the hot and dinging while driving but the car was not hot. When it is cold, the speed gauge does not work. This car is not even 10yrs old and I have more problems with it than my 19yr old car.

sincerely jamerican1

- , Jackson, GA, USA

Feb 162011

Impala

I have been advised it may be the cluster that is out on my 2005 Chevrolet Impala. Basically, they should call it a Cluster F*&^. The information I have gathered so far to troubleshoot why I no longer have functioning gauges...such as a speedometer, gas, and random flashing lights appear to be related to this cluster f. In addition, I will no longer purchase any Chevrolet car. When you have 82,000 miles, no spdmter or gas gauge, it is really unacceptable...Buck up Chevy, you know you owe us all a recall.....

- , Rice, MN, USA

Nov 292010

Impala 6 cyl

This is the first real problem I have had with this automobile. Was driving between Roanoke Va. and Lynchburg, Va. and looked down and the speedometer was doing 30 MPH when I knew that keeping up with the traffic in front of me I should have been doing 55 MPH. This thing started going all over the place and the tachometer was doing the same thing. I just find it very inconvenient and guess I will have to use my GPS to see how fast I am going. Should be a recall on this as many complaints as there are on the web about this particular problem. Think I will write my congressman next.

- , Troutville, VA, USA

May 092008

Impala 3.4L

Okay, so i just wrote about the fuel pump going out shortly after purchasing the 2005 Impala with 20K miles on it. Well, after the dealer fixed that problem I thought that was it.....WRONG AGAIN.....a month or so after that problem....i was driving through town, avg speed is 35-40 MPH. While i was driving, i happened to notice my speedometer was registering 95 MPG, which was totally inaccurate! I pulled over and shut off the car, thinking it would reset...but as soon as i turned it off...the speedometer was stuck at 60. So....back to the dealer it went! This time I was furious, thinking they sold me a lemon. But they assured me they would never sell in such condition. A week later, I got my car back. Whoop-Tee- F'n Do! Thankfully it was still covered under warranty. But here is the funny part. So while i was complaining to the service tech...he flat out told me, "This problem happens all the time with Chevy's, I see cars come in about once or twice a week with this problem". Faulty ingenuity or $ scam?

- , Coolidge, Arizona, USA

Nov 112008

Impala LS 3.8L V6

My Speedometer used to go heywire when i was driving or idling. it didnt matter how fast i was going the needle would always bounce from say 40 to 10 then back a few times before it tried to hit 0. If i let it hit 0 the impala would start to struggle as if wanting to turn off. I recently replaced my stock alternator that ran 105 watts for a more powerful one for my subs. Since doing this my speedometer hasnt gone crazy once. the lights use to dim and the radio volume would drop when this happened but now its like new....

- , Midland, Texas, USA

Jan 052010

Impala SE 3.4L

The speedometer would not return to 0 when stopped and then would keep going higher each time from then on. It got so it was 120 + when standing still. I got it to go back to o by with the car not running turning the key to run and off several times. I lived with this roe about 15 weeks. It seems from the other complaints that I have read that this is a defect in the instrument cluster problem. It also seems that I have paid more than the average cost to repair this problem.

- , Greenville, MI, USA

May 142009

Impala V6

My temperature gauge, speedometer and fuel gauge do not work. I have to use my gps system to track my speed. I'm going 95 south thinking I'm doing 70 and was told by the others following me I was doing over 80. It really makes me mad when I can not tell what's going on. All of my needles are pointing down. I was driving down the road the other night every time I look at the gas gauge hell if kept filling up more until the needle stop at the bottom.

- , Suitland, Maryland, USA

Sep 012009

Impala

With as many recalls that are out these days this one should be at the top of GM's Chevy Impala should be at the TOP of the list.

If my car is over heating I don't know because the temp gauge isn't working, if I am low on gas I don't know because the gas gauge doesn't work, what's really is unsafe is the speedometer isn't working so I don't know if I am over the speed limit or under.

When I purchased this car I thought that I was going to be happy, well I'm not. Come on own the defect GM do the right thing and recall this defected cluster.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Dec 282009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

The speedometer started going nuts then quit altogether the fuel gauge also quit working this could cause serious problems for people on the roadways if you dont know how fast you are going

- , Savanna, OK, USA

Dec 262009

Impala 3.4L

The speedometer just quit working. This car only has 44k miles and has been well cared for. We haven't taken it to the dealer. Spoke with our regular mechanic he suggest we take it to the dealer.I want to sell this car soon and don't want to pass on a problem to someone else. I want this fixed and if there is a recall I want in on it. Any help?

- , Tehacahpi, CA, USA

Apr 082009

Impala V6

This GM car has been nothing but problems, speedometer registered 120 mph stuck, tranny failed, wiper stuck wont home stay up on windshield, radio panel lights went out, main control computer went out. No wonder GM went belly up. They build junk cars. No more GM cars for me.

- , Blanchard, OK, USA

Sep 012009

Impala LS 3.2L V6

Pretty much the same problem as everybody else. It started with my temperature gauge. It would spin around, then it finally stopped at the bottom and now it doesn't move at all. Then the speedometer started messing up. I was driving in a 45 MPH zone the other day and I looked down and it said I was going 80 MPH! I kinda freaked out for a second, but then I realized I wasn't going any faster than anybody else around me. When I came to a stop it said I was going 40 MPH. It has messed up since then, it will work correctly some times but it always messes up again. Now my fuel gauge is starting to mess up as well.

- , Maricopa, AZ, USA

Aug 122008

Impala V8

I did some research on line about this particular problem on 2005 chevy impala's. I think it was pretty fishy that most 05's had a similar problem. Luckily I only paid $100 deductible thanks to my extended warranty but this junk went hay wire on me the odometer was off the charts and it said that my car was burning hot! I found out there was a glitch with the whole panel and luckily it was covered by my extended warranty if not i would've shelled out $1300 ! I loved the car when I bought it but it has it downside!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 032006

Impala LX 3.4L

well where do I start, this problem started around 2006. When the speedometer would go haywire first it was once every month or so. Its 2009 and its happening more often than not. chevy told me in 07 they don't know whats wrong, now the pressure gauge acts up its really a pain and GM should recall this problem.

- , Wahiawa, HI, USA

Oct 202008

Impala V6

If I have my speedometer cluster fixed before the recall is passed by the courts, will GM have to pay me back what I spend on it when a recall goes into effect? Or will GM rip me off and say they can't afford to pay me back and stick me with the cost of repairs. The settlement website now says to check back towards the end of March. Can't go that long with no speedometer. Does anyone know the answer to this? Does antone know a place to buy the good cluster that wont need fixing at a cheaper cost then the dealers are asking?

- , Bad Axe, MI>, USA

Sep 172008

Impala

I was getting onto the highway one day and when I accelerated, it just shot up. It was on the 100's and now it just points straight down. It is just so frustrating when you don't know how fast you are going. I got a diagnosis on it and they said I need a new cluster. The estimate they gave me was $580 for the part and labor. Way too expensive for me!!!!

- , St. Joseph, MO, USA

Nov 202008

Impala 3.4L V6

I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol going home the other day. The speedometer said that I was going 20MPH, but the officer said that I was going 67 in a 45. I told him what was going on, and he gave me a break. I just want GM to pay for this. How can I get on to the settlement that is going on with the speedometer?

- , Silver Springs, NV, USA

Sep 092008

Impala 3.4L V6

the speedometer needle kept getting stuck at random places in speedometer, sometimes it read that I was doing 80MPH when I was doing around 5 MPH and sometimes it read -5 when I was doing highway speeds (in other words it was below zero), there was no rhyme or reason why the needle decided were it was going to get stuck that day. �Good thing� I paid $1000 for the extended warranty.

- , North Adams, MI, USA