8.0

2. replace instrument cluster (5 reports)
  3. it had to be replaced or rebuilt (3 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 282013

Impala V8

I think these problems should be covered under some type of warranty. Its difficult to drive a car when the speedometer is constantly burying itself so you have no idea how fast your are going. Its also hard to know how much gas you have in the tank if the fuel gauge is buried and the only reason why it stops is because the needle hits the next gauge and stops. I believe the rpm gauge may also be doing the same thing.

I have owned many vehicles and have had the most problems with this Chevy Impala. I have never even heard of a speedometer and fuel gauge burying themselves until this car.

- , Ellsworth, WI, USA

Oct 102010

Impala

click to see larger images

speedometer is inaccurate speedometer is inaccurate

GM needs to recall these cars!!! We have had two speeding tickets in two months & can't afford the tickets or to pay for the repairs! What are we to do?

- , FELLOWS, CA, USA

May 112010

Impala V6

Another Impala with a waked out speedometer. Sure wish GM would step up and recall these cars. We travel with our young child and with a broken speedometer it can be dangerous.

- , Grayson, GA, USA

May 142009

Impala 3.4L V6

WHEN I GET A F***ING TICKET I'M GOING TO SEND IT TO GM!!! I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS IS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST. EVERYBODY IS HAVING THESE PROBLEMS

- , Mansield, LA, USA

Dec 092009

Impala 3.2L V6

This is ridiculous.. The speedometer continues to jump all around and I have no clue how fast I am going.. I am lucky that I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet. As many complaints I have seen about 2001-2005 Impalas, you would think that Chevrolet would do something about this issue.. I can't afford to have it fixed at the moment so it gets scarier everyday driving having no clue how fast i am going. 10 miles, 100 miles, 50 miles. Who knows?

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 062010

Impala LS 3.8L

Another Impala with a waked out speedo....Sure wish GM would step up and recall these cars. We travel with our two young children and with a broken speedometer it can be dangerous.

- , Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Sep 152008

Impala V6

I traded my 2002 Chevy trailblazer for this car at a dealership and got totally screwed because not even a month later my speedometer starting reading like 20+ miles then what i was really going and then it stopped working all together and it is stuck past the highest speed. I don't have a clue what to do with it and i drove without knowing the speed for a while but it was to much hassle so i bought a GPS that tells me the speed because it is cheaper then fixing it and now i want to sell it and can't because even if i replace the speedometer the mileage will be wrong and the car impossible to sell. I am so irritated by all of this and for as many people as this has happened to chevy needs to recall this and fix it for all of us.

- , Aliiance, OH, USA

Sep 012009

Impala

This is crazy! I cant believe all of the other people w/ the same problem! My speedometer was acting funny about a year ago and now for about 3 mnths it has not worked at all!! If anyone heres anything on either of this issue please let me know!

Thanks!!

- , Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Oct 132009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

my 2005 Impala's speedometer has gone haywire just like a lot of other peoples. Chevrolet, step up and recall these and fix the problem. I don't want to spend $600 for a new instrument cluster when this is so obviously a manufacturing defect. By next car will not be a Chevrolet, and I have always been a Chevrolet man!

- , Fayetteville, AR, USA

Oct 192009

Impala LS V8

26,600 miles on a car should not have problems with a speedometer. Got in car today and the speedometer is on 100 with the car not even started and the needle only goes up, not back down. I am being told it is going to cost between 450.00 and 500.00 to fix this problem which is very annoying and costly to say the least. A car with this low of miles and this type of problem is crazy. Dealership said that there is no recall but I am seeing online that this is a major problem and I cannot have this fixed at this time due to recently I had to have the tierods replaced which I found out is another major problem with the Impala. If only I knew this before I bought the car. The Tierods are a lot in itself to fix. Just annoyed with a car with this few of miles and so much expense already.

- , Greenwell Springs, LA, USA

Mar 162006

Impala 3.4L V6

I have a 2005 Impala. I just had to have the instrument cluster replaced. The damn speedometer in the thing would do any number of things. It would come to a rest at 15mph at one stoplight, 20 mph or so at the next,and just get worse.Or when I'd take it on trips the speedometer would just stop working altogether. I took it back to the dealer and told them about it. I said the only way I know how fast I'm going is my GPS tells me. The guy says to me "good thing you have that GPS" as he's chuckling about it. That car is a testament to why my next car will be foreign made.

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Dec 072008

Impala

just went out..no warning..was told by a friend can have it replace is I'm under 60,000 miles

- , Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 102008

Impala ES

Of course, same problem, had a back yard hood mechanic replace my sensor with the one from his car. The fix lasted 3 days. My speedometer is stuck at 65 on or off. My temp gauge is pointing south, way pass the red. I didn't even think that the dial could move that far... Such an inconvenience!

- , Calumet City, IL, USA

Feb 012009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Wife's car had speedo showing 0 when going 70, found this list and wanted to add my 2 cents. Called dealer, no known recall, responded "do speedometers sometimes go bad?... well, YEAH", which really pissed me off. Wrote to both dealer and GM explaining the lengths i'll go to (a) never purchase another GM product, and (b) let as many people know as possible.

Found fix kit on ebay, will wait a couple of days to give dealer / GM chance to reply - if no help, then i'll fix it myself.

- , Lake Orion, MI, USA

Dec 142008

Impala 3..4L V6

Just have the same complaint everyone else does....Sometimes my speedometer works, sometimes not. I had my mechanic(local guy, not the EXPENSIVE gm goodwrench) replace a speed censor costing $125. Days later the problem occurred again. The mechanic must have looked online and said the cluster would need replaced costing over $400. I haven't replaced it because it works most of the time, just not always. It will go to 100mph sometimes. The only way I found to reset this, is to turn the car off and start it again. Each time it resets about 10mph. After turning the car on and off several times it works for a few more weeks with no problems....weird

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Nov 012008

Impala LS 3.2L V6

the speedometer on my 2005 impala starting going haywire around nov 2008 it shows i am doing 100 mph when i stop and jumps around when i drive. the dealer told me it was a computer problem and would cost me over $200.00 to repair. if i get pulled over for speeding how do i explain to the judge it was a computer problem?

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Jan 212009

Impala 3.2L V6

Like somebody else said pretty much same complaint, so i dont need to say to much. I was driving along and the speedometer went haywire now its not working. I just want to add myself to the list.

- , Paxton, IL, USA

Jan 202008

Impala 3.4L V6

I have read thousands of complaints just like mine so I'm not getting into details. I'm just going to say the speedometer is completely shot and it's acting up just like the rest of them.

I would like to encourage each of your to keep an eye on:

or to call 1-866-514-0405

The class action suit against GM regarding the defective speedometers was won, they're in appeals now. We're supposed to have an update January 19th, 2009. I'm at least waiting until they finish in court before I part ways with the $700 bucks that my dealer quoted me to replace the cluster. That's $550.86 for the cluster and 90 minutes of labor at $99 per hour. OUCH!!! Worst part is - "WE" didn't break it, we treat that car like a princess, it is flawlessly maintained.

- , Moore, OK, USA

Nov 072008

Impala ES 3.8L

So I look and I see that this speedometer instrument cluster is one of the most frequent problems on this car.

I call the dealer and they say it will cost me $400+ to repair. Then I ask a chev mechanic and he says, "Oh sure we have done alot of them".

I look again to see what else I can expect and the second worst problem for this fine ride is the tranny. I have had enough. Toyota, Nissan, VW--Something--here I come.

Hummmmm

Badsinger

- , Ogallala, NE, USA

May 012008

Impala

Oh my goodness guys...my 2005 Chevy impala is a piece of sh*t...i purchased the car back in April of 2007. As soon as the warrant expired the speedometer started to act up. The dealership said it would be a little over $400 to fix the cluster that is ridiculous... this problem should be recalled definitely.

- , Lexington, KY, USA