2005 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 082016

Impala

From a stopped position, trying to take off car acts as if I'm neutral and then will suddenly jerk into gear. The automatic hear shifts are rough and delayed. There's very little power or struggle to register when applying gas. When on fwy especially when in slow moving traffic there is a lot of problems with the transmission and slipping, rough gear shifts both up and down. Then the scary part is when driving with my 2 little girls and in regular or heavy traffic and making turns, especially left, I have had the car freeze up on me in the middle of intersections. When I try and accelerate I'm stuck as if I'm neutral and hear the engine revving and finally will violently like pop into gear. It's made me have a lot of safety issues for myself and children. It's very frustrating and problematic. With all these things happening the transmission nor check engine light has appeared, therefore making it tremendously difficult near impossible for me to have it properly diagnosed using scanner and computer reader. Every repair shop has given different "findings" after only a drive around the block. It's a nightmare.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Aug 212015

Impala

Bought the car used 141,000 miles day after I bought it the transmission jerks really hard when taking off. I heard it was a common problem but it will cost $700 or more to fix.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Feb 012013

Impala

Transmission shifts hard and jerks upon take off intermittently.

- Mena, AR, USA

Jan 062014

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at 30 mph, the transmission slipped and suddenly started to jerk violently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician was not able to duplicate and diagnosed the failure. The vehicle was also taken to an authorized dealer who changed the transmission fluid and the filter. However, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the independent mechanic for further diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Cookevillle, TN, USA

Dec 102014

Impala 6-cyl

As the original and only owner of this vehicle, this is the second iteration of a cracked flex plate. The first event and repair for $661.69 happened with 48,929 miles. The cracks appear to begin at the crankshaft mounting bolts and spread out to the stamped steel cutouts. It is a 3800 series II V-6 driven in normal manner and well maintained. I cannot understand why this happens...cheap flexplate??

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Sep 182012

Impala

First, I had to replace the rack and pinion steering. Could have been the steering knuckle, don't know. Then, I was driving about dusk and the low beams went dark. The car has an automatic switch that moves the headlights from daytime mode to nighttime. Local mechanic called the GM dealer and spoke with a GM mechanic. The GM mechanic told him the turnstalk assembly was defective and that they frequently replaced them on Impala. I paid for both repairs out of pocket. Then, the heater would only work on the passenger side; heater blend door on driver's side was defective. Recently, I had the heater blend door repaired at my expense. Then, I had the transmission rebuilt at my expense. GM would not assist with any of these repairs even though service bulletins existed on all of these issues. Looking at online discussion boards for this car I found all of these issues with numerous owners. The transmission would slip when going from first to second gear and then began bumping in other owners. What a lemon this car has become.

- Oxford, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Impala 6-cyl

When taking off from a stop, the car jerked instead of taking off smoothly. This seemed to happen at low speeds when car is shifting from one gear to another even though it has an automatic transmission. The safety risk here is that acceleration is not effected and a car could potentially hit you from behind especially at a stop sign/light.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Over the last 2 years I have experienced numerous problems. The first problem was shifting of the vehicle which shifts very hard. The second problem was a lot of rust and needing to have body work done. Now with a little over 70,000 miles on the car it might not pass inspection next year because the body/frame is so rusted that it would cost more to have it fixed than the car is worth. The car is well taken care of so it is not for lack of caretaking on my part. The third problem is in the last 2 months periodically we can smell gas in the inside of the car, not exhaust fumes - gas. It's awful; nauseating and unbearable. This smell can also be detected outside of the vehicle. I worry about the health and safety of me and my family in this vehicle for these reasons. Also, at this point I am afraid to park the car in our attached garage for fear it could start a fire.

- Sipesville, PA, USA

Nov 262013

Impala 6-cyl

When the Impala is at normal operating temperature the engine dies when you remove your foot off the accelerator as when approaching a stop sign. If the engine has not reached normal operating temperature this does not occur.

- Rusk, TX, USA

Mar 142014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving down the road head wipers on wipers quit for no reason come to the stop sign tried turning it off and on a few times then once you take off the car would not move and then lunged forward and hit the person in front.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Feb 012012

Impala 6-cyl

The transmission hesitates at stop and go traffic, tranny shop says it is a switch solenoid that is defective in the transmission itself. It is commonly reported by many consumers of this make, model and year. Seems to shift fine when driving on longer drives ie. Interstate driving. Could cause potential safety hazard when trying to pull out into traffic from stopped position.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

May 082013

Impala 6-cyl Diesel

When pressing gas pedal from a stop sign or stop light, I hear a grinding/ slipping sound and then a loud pop and the car jerks into gear. The dealer I bought it from 2 weeks ago gave me a 30 day or 1000 mile power train warranty, it has been at the dealer for the past 2 days.they keep telling me they can't duplicate the symptom. After doing some research I found hundreds of online reports of the exact same symptoms. Please give me some advise on recourse.

- North Las Vegas , NV, USA

Aug 012011

Impala 6-cyl

From stop I would step on the gas, and the car would slam into gear. I have had to have the electrical cluster replaced $300, and the fuel control replaced (car always smelt like gas) now they think this slam is the tcc valve in the transmission which is anywhere from $600-$900. Also the steering knuckle makes a loud noise on sharp turns. Whats next" are any of these issues recalls"

- New Era, MI, USA

Jan 272012

Impala

Speedometer does not work most of the time. Car will shut down without warning going down road. The check engine light does not come on. After pulling over it will start back up. Have been placed on diagnostics machine and no codes are triggered. We have replaced fuel filter. Had a tune up done. Nothing is working and mechanics cant figure out what is wrong. Very dangerous. Has happened many times. Last time going down mountain on a curve with no where to pull over. Luckily no traffic at the time.

- Valhermoso Springs, AL, USA

Dec 212012

Impala 6-cyl

First... my car all of the sudden started leaking like an oil tanker last January 2012, and the ABS/traction control lights came on. Took the car to the Chevy dealership, and had major repair work done on transmission, and engine for leaks. Spent $2100 and was quote $2600 to replace the ABS/traction control modulator for my ABS/traction control to work again. The code they pulled was C1218. Needless to say it has not been repaired yet. A month after spending this money, I had to replace the water pump, and almost a year later I had to replace a plastic elbow from the water pump to my radiator which was another $300. Then this past December 2012, my transmission all of the sudden jerked hard from 1st to 2nd and so on during local driving. Max speed limit is 40mph locally. Took it to Chevy and was told I need a new transmission, so I took it for a second opinion and was told code P1811 was coded for a long shift, but that my transmission was a 1/2 quart low so they filled it with trans additive. They suggested I try a "transmission shop" for them to check because maybe my trans solenoid was bad, which would still cost quite a bit for repair, but not nearly as much as a new transmission. My car has 122,000 long highway miles, not local; stop & go. I do not feel my ABS/traction control, nor my trans should be bad. I maintain my car, and based on my internet searches many people have had the exact same problems with these cars. I emailed Chevy and was basically told this is my problem and no concession was offered on their part to assist me with these repairs. I have been laid off from my job, and returned to school so needless to say cannot afford a new car, but this car is costing more than it is worth. Chevy needs to quit ignoring these problems, and take care of loyal customers before they lose them.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 312011

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased vehicle Oct 2011, transmission went bad, started steering hard, had it checked by dealer (chev) place. Gave me estimate of $3000. To replace steering. I talked with recall people they finally lowered it to me paying $700.. said the VIN # does not match the recalls Impala. There is large electrical problem makes car shut down going down road. All of this begin 2 weeks after my purchase. Im a senior living off social security, cannot afford even the small amount of fixing this car. I have spoken with Impala owners, they all have the same problems. Im still making payments on this piece of junk. Owe $5000. Bad decision. Do hope you can help me. Thank you.

- Salem, OR, USA

Nov 062012

Impala 6-cyl

I have a chev. Impala ls 2005 it runs good but the transmission jerks and is shifting long. The Chevrolet people know about this and I think that they should be able to replace it at free of charge because when they made them they knew and did not tell anybody until people start coming in complaining about them.

- Grenada, MS, USA

Sep 182007

Impala 6-cyl

When shifting 1st to 2nd gear the transmission shifts hard, transmission is the 2nd one I have had in this car samething is happening to this one I have 95000 miles now.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Nov 042011

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased a car from icarsnow (704-551-0990) on South blvd in charlotte on October 28, 2011. I drove the car for a week when the gears started slipping and the car started to stall and jerk the car had a 90 day warranty so I called southern warranty (704-282-1814) and they had me to take the car to carson automotive 10940 a E. independence blvd. Matthews nc they replaced the transmission and converter on 11/4/11. I picked the car up drove for a week or two and the car was still stalling and jerking. I called carson automotive and took the car back.. I also heard a noise in the engine. I took the car back to carson automotive they could not find why the car was stalling and jerking but the said the engine needed to be replaced because of a rod the engine was replaced on 12/27/11. That is when I found out that the 90 day warranty was 50/50 where if anything major happen to the car the warranty company would pay have and I would have to pay half. This is not how it was explained by the salesman at icarsnow. He told me after the 90 day warranty if anything happens major that the warranty company and I would share the cost. In order for me to not loose the money already paid on the car I have to pay half on the engine. After the engine was replaced the car was leaking anti- freeze I took the car back again carson automotive could not find anything. The rear window replaced because the defrost was not attached and sparked when you touched it. There was also a leak in the trunk that had to be repaired. After that the temperature gauge started to move up I took the car to my mechanic for him to check it out on 2/25/12. The problem was possible head gasket damage. I took the car back to carson automotive since they put the engine in. They told me that it was not the engine but a cracked radiator. Radiator was replaced on 2/27/12.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 242011

Impala

Transmission shifts hard and jerks intermittently.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA