2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Jan 182012

Impala

Several types of GM vehicles (approx 2000-2008) have severe leaking and decay problems like my Chevy Impala shows currently. I noticed early February 2012 when my factory speakers stopped working all together. The radio sound didn't get through, door chimes didn't work, safety and warning chimes didn't make noise, etc. A warning chime didn't signal for me to turn off my lights on a rainy day at a grocery store so that when I came back, I was stranded! this however isn't the big problem. This leak under the cowl seems to be prominent in many other vehicles and allowed gallons to enter in under my rugs, floor mats etc., and travel all over the passenger cabin so that wires were submerged, corroded, mold grew, and airbag sensor hubs became islands. Yes my airbag sensors and wiring are submerged with water! please have GM recall this common problem to fix this! my car smells terrible inside from this (especially in the summer) and more importantly, I am worried that my airbags will malfunction. Thank you.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Jan 202012

Impala 6-cyl

The temperature gauge, fuel gauge, and speedometer have gone completely haywire! the temperature gauge goes to hot and buzzes but my car is no where near hot. I don't know if my tank is full or empty because the gauge is always on the bottom. I don't know how fast I'm going because my speedometer is stuck on 120. The dealership knows that this is a common problem but they insist on charging $500 or more to fix it...just own up and do the recall!!

- Violet, LA, USA

Jan 182012

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 60 mph, the speedometer reading would not decrease when decelerating. The speedometer reading fluctuated erratically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Dassel, MN, USA

Dec 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Driving at approximately 60 mph on the freeway, the speedometer advanced to the bottom of the gauge, then stuck there. The only way I can reset it is to turn the ignition off and on, and sometimes that does not work.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 072011

Impala 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Impala. First had an electrical problem with the ABS brake system. Traction control feature would engage whenever the brake was applied. This occurred at 30,000 miles. Dealer warranted this. At about 80,000 miles the display panel indicated erroneous problems, ie. Truck open when not. The lights would flash off and on indicating all kinds of issues when none existed. Also the speedometer began to work erratically. The speedometer would indicate speeds of 30-60 mph higher than actual driving speed. Turning the car off/on would gradually lower and reset the speedometer. This occurs randomly with no real pattern. Seems to be electrical in nature. Also could present a safety issue.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 082010

Impala

The speedometer just stopped working, the transmission shift hard but when you shut off the engine and start it back up it stops shifting hard, and the car stalls.

- Harlem, GA, USA

Aug 102011

Impala

The speedometer has gone haywire. You cannot tell how fast you are going. The RPM gauge is going haywire as well. It jumps all over the place. Took the car to the dealership but wouldn't you know it the warranty expired with no written notice from warranty company. The clusters are the root of all the problems and Chevrolet needs to recall to repair the issues described. Another alarming problem with the 2005 Chevy Impala I own is what is called the passlock protection. It also does not work at times and I had to find out ways to bypass the passlock on youtube. This could turn into a dangerous situation if you need to start you car in an emergency and you cant because the passlock will not let you turn on the car. Sometimes you have to wait ten minutes with the key in a certain position. That is totally not acceptable.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Dec 272010

Impala 6-cyl

My speedometer gauge doesn't work it will get stuck on 20 mph constantly it never reads the correct speed but my other gauges work fine. My transmission shifts/slips harder than it should from 1st into 2ed and 2nd into 3rd. My headlights flicker when I push on my window controls to roll my windows up or down. The heat only blows on the passenger side of my car including on the defrost for the front windows and the rear window.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Apr 142010

Impala 6-cyl

Steering knuckle makes a popping noise speedodometer does not work temp gauge does not work cruise control engages when ever it wants to if the switch is in the on position a herd that a lot of Chevrolet had recalls for these conditions! are there any recalls for these conditions on my car?

- Grandview, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. After repeated attempts, the contact was able to successfully start the vehicle. The failure recurred on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 08/01/12 the consumer stated she continues to experience starting problems. The consumer stated she read online where there is a defect in the design in the security system. Updated 08/02/12

- Bath, NY, USA

Sep 252006

Impala 6-cyl

Since I brought my 2005 Chevrolet Impala in 2006, I have always have the same problem with my passlock system. One minute my car is driving fine. I park it go where I need to go and then come back to my car to leave and it won't start. I took it to the dealership in 2006 and they said it was an electrical problem and claimed that they fixed it. However since then it has happen to me repeatedly. According to the owner manual it says " leave the key in the ignition at the on position and wait until the security light is no longer flashing. Once it stops, turn the key to the off position and start the car." This never works for me. Sometimes the flashing light continue for the whole day, and my car is just stuck where ever the incident (security light flashing) occurs.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 072010

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer gets stuck at different speeds. Can't determine real speed when this happens. Was told the instrument panel would need to be replaced. Speedometer started working again by itself so I did not replace the instrument panel. Now it is happening again. Checked online and there are many many of the same complaint. This should be a recall item.

- Norton, OH, USA

May 012011

Impala

I purchased this car used with 59,000 miles. Drove it home, parked it for 2 days and the car would not start. Returned to dealer who replaced the battery and indicated the drain while off was with specs. Took car home and worked well for about 3 days. On the fourth day the car would not start again. Searched the web and found this is a very common issue with this car.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

May 012011

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the speedometer and tachometer would display improper readings. The failure was frequent, recurring more than three times a week. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 156,000 and the current mileage was approximately 156,000.

- Flint, MI, USA

Feb 152011

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving 60 mph when the contact noticed that the speedometer was providing an inaccurate reading of 90 mph. Within seconds, the speedometer was reading 0 mph. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be diagnosed and the manufacturer would not assist with the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Torrance , CA, USA

Mar 102011

Impala 4-cyl

Car turns off while driving, also looks like its not getting gas, cluster also went bad and the check engine light comes on also bat, brake flu, it blinks fast and turns off high danger when it turns off while driving it happened 3 times have no control what should I do.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 112011

Impala

2005 Chevy Impala with a sticking speedometer. Stays at 85 when parked, and is very erratic. Have read many, many others with same problem and dealerships unwilling to fix this safety issue without fully charging for repair. Cannot afford car payment and over expense for shop repair that should be covered by dealership/manufacturer defect.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA

Feb 012011

Impala 6-cyl

The instrument panel on my 2005 Chevy Impala just stopped working. The gas, speedometer, RPM gauges are all miss reading. When im parked the RPM is redlined, the speedometer reads 90 mph, and the gas gauge reads straight North above the full line. I'm stuck not knowing exactly how fast im going. The speedometer seems to go back and forth to reading correctly at times reading all the way South but never making it completely around.

- Houston , TX, USA

Feb 262011

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the speedometer would not register what speed he was driving and the gauge would sporadically fluctuate from 100 mph to zero. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him to have the vehicle diagnosed before they would be able to determine if they could assist with repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Keene, NH, USA

Feb 262011

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer not working properly. Sporadically changes to 100mph+ while driving any speed. Safety issue. GM customer assistance gave a big run-around. I had them and a dealership service manager on the phone together. GM cust. Asst. Said that they would have to know the cause of the problem before they would say if they would cover repairs. Service manager said that there are only two possible problems. Cust asst still would not say if they would repair. This is a serious safety issue. I guess someone will have to plow through some elementary school kids since I don't know how fast they are going in a school zone before they issue a recall.

- Keene, NH, USA