2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Mar 012009

I owned a 2005 Chevy Impala. The odometer on this car goes crazy. I don't know how fast I am going. I search the internet and hundreds of people have the same trouble with Chevy Impala and odometer. They need to recall this car and have them fix.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Aug 172009

2005 Impala bought in 96 w/25K miles. After 1 year car had 37K miles and started exhibiting crazy performance on the display gauges. Sometimes the gas indicator would reflect an empty gas tank though it was nearly full. The speedometer would reflect 35 miles while the car was stopped and other speeds when in motion. The temperature gauge would tack way over to the right indicating excessive temperatures. I tried to get this fixed but the problem was intermittent and could not be duplicated when taken to the shop. I have been told the entire instrument cluster was known for these issues. Now that I've had the car a few more years the crazy markings are more frequent. The biggest concern is the temperature gauge because I can not tell when I have a real problem. I took it to a Chevy dealer and after a number of calls to the Corp office by the dealer, GM would not do anything about this other than charge me almost $800. What irks me is that there is a recall for this on GM trucks but not on cars. Shouldn't that be a clue? I'll go back to Nissan as soon as I can.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 312009

My 2005 Impala has a security system that activates without warning not allowing me to start my car.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 122009

I previously had my 2004 Pontiac Grand Am's passlock system foul up on me. I found information about it online and got it started again. Now my 2005 Chevy Impala did it today. This passlock system is faulty and expensive to replace each time it does this and it's almost a guarantee it will happen again. When it happens multiple times, it becomes a danger to me and my family when it could foul the computer and die going down the highway at 70, losing all control of steering and brakes. There should be a recall on this part.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 122008

2005 Chevy Impala speedometer went out of no where..every repair place in town tells me they know about the problem with all GM cars between 2004-2006 but no recall so it will cost me $700 to get it fixed..also gasket in fuel line missing that's an other $280.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Apr 132008

- the contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that he has experienced several failures over the last year. While driving at 55 mph he noticed that the speedometer was failing to displaying that he was going at a higher speed, when the contact stopped at an intersection he then noticed that the speedometer was still displaying a higher speed and had not gone back down to the correct speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and he was informed that the failure could be coming from a loose wire or computer failure. The vehicle was not inspected and no repairs where made. While starting the vehicle he noticed that the temperature and gas gauge where displaying inaccurate temperatures and levels. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and inspected by a technician who determined that gauges would have to be replaced at a cost of $400, no repairs where made. The technician informed the contact that there would not be a guarantee that replacing the gauges would remedy the issue. The contact is in the process of contacting the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 58,000.

- Winstom Salem, NC, USA

Feb 132009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the speedometer displays inaccurate readings. When the vehicle is parked, the speedometer reads 30 mph. While driving 60 mph, it reads 100 mph. The dealer stated that it would cost $500 to repair the speedometer. The contact believes a recall should be issued. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 59,000 and current mileage was 60,100.

- Burmingham, AL, USA

Nov 172008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed that the instrument panel gauges were inoperative and displayed inaccurate readings. In addition, the windshield wipers failed sporadically, the rear passenger tail light was poorly illuminated, and the battery failed spontaneously. When the failures occured, she smelled a burning odor as if the wires were burning. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Mar 182009

Speedometer is malfunctioning by giving inaccurate readings at slow and high speeds.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Oct 232008

My speedometer is not functioning on my 005 Impala and has not for months. It will say you are doing 100 when parked and never comes back down unless you keep restarting then engine to make it "shock drop" back down. The dealer wants $400+ to replace the whole unit. It seems that from just a little research online that this is an ongoing issue with numerous Impala's manufactured since '04.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Feb 242009

Speedometer does not work on my 2005 Chevy Impala and GM has admitted this is due to faulty parts. This is a dangerous situation since it is impossible to determine accurate speed.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Dec 162007

I have a 2005 Impala ss, the vehicle has starting problems which began at 8,000 miles. If the car sits more than two days without being driven the battery goes dead. There is a serious electrical drain on the battery. I took the car to the dealers service department on several occasions, they tell me that they can find anything wrong. At one point they kept the car for a week, then told me that I must be doing something wrong because they can find anything wrong with the vehicle. The car now has 17,000 miles, and I continue to still have the electrical drain. I have had to purchase two new batteries since owning the car. I have to carry a portable power source in the trunk, to jump start the vehicle. This is not right and should not be happening. The electrical problem should have been solved by now. I have been a loyal Chevy owner for fifty years, and this is the way I'm rewarded. The manufacturer and the dealer still have not learned that professional customer service is paramount. I may never buy another GM car.

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Feb 102006

Speedometer reading to slow then to fast now nothing.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Nov 182008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed that a security warning indicator would sporadically illuminate on the instrument panel and the vehicle failed to start. She took the vehicle to the dealer, but a diagnostic test was not performed. The technician stated that it would cost approximately $600 to have the security system re-wired. The vehicle has not yet been repaired. The failure mileage was 83,000 and current mileage was 86,776.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Dec 302008

My speedometer does not work it started out reading the wrong speed now it is pegged all the way out the needle lays on the D for drive. I feel this is a safety issue due to never knowing how fast you are going.

- Troy, PA, USA

Jan 052009

Speedometer said I was doing 87 mph when car was shut off and in park. Took car to dealer, had instrument cluster replaced. Also had them check pop in the steering( made noise when I bought it from dealer with less than 31,000 miles on it. Dealer replaced instrument panel cluster, steering shaft and cruise control sensor. ( cruise control would just shut off and work periodically.) it was really just an adjustment on the brake sensor switch that needed adjustment. Had to take car back for the adjustment to brake pedal sensor.

- Clearlake Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 012007

The speedometer does not work on my vehicle, making it unsafe to determine the rate of speed when traveling.

- Chattanooga , TN, USA

Oct 012008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The headlights failed 4-5 intermittently for over three months. When the high beam lights were used, the low beams failed. While driving, the contact heard a clicking noise before the lights failed. The low beam lights would illuminate again when he turned the high beam switch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 62,961. Updated 3/19/09 the dealer was not able to duplicate the consumers conern. Updated 03/25/09.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 272008

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala with 45,200 mile on it and from day one I have had a electrical problem of some sort every time I am driving all my lights will go out, even all my panel lights inside. I have to flick my brights on and off so they will come back on. Some times this happens two or three times a week. I have had it back to the Chevy dealers twice and they say there is nothing wrong. What do I do? thank you.

- Marshfield, MO, USA

Oct 012008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving between 5-25 mph, the speedometer and the temperature gauges moved up and down. The contact took the vehicle to a personal mechanic and was informed that the failure caused the vehicle to need coolant. He feels that the vehicle is unsafe because the thermostat rises due to the vehicle overheating and the speedometer failing. The current mileage was 68,000 and failure mileage was 64,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA