8.0

2. costly repair through dealer (6 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Dec 252013

Impala

Fell in love with this car, so i bought it. Now i hate it!!! First it was the rack and pinion steering that went.......can't afford repairs. On top of that, driving home tonight, speedometer is stuck at 80 miles an hour, which i didn't even drive that fast. My father and uncles all worked for GM back in the day, which won my loyalty......never again will i purchase any of their products and will ensure anybody i know, will not either!!!

- , Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

Jan 182011

Impala

Last year in January, my "cluster" on my 2005 Chevy Impala stopped working completely. What really sucked was I had to get it inspected by the end of the month, so I had no choice but to pay the $675.00 to have the car fixed. You would think that all the complaints regarding the cluster not working would have started a recall. I also filed a complaint on another website.

- , Williamsport, PA, USA

Sep 142010

Impala 3.2L V6

i want to know how others fixed this problem its my temp gauge/ speedometer/gas gauge

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Impala LS 3.4L

The first problem I started having with my 2005 Chevy Impala LS was the traction control system. It started sticking last winter. When the car is cold and you start to drive the traction control system will engage even in dry conditions. It just sticks for a few seconds but I have to let off the gas so it will disengage. This isn't the worst problem with the car but it's a real pain in the rearend.

Update from Dec 4, 2010: Now, a few months ago my speedometer started going crazy. It would show that I was going 100 mph when I was only going 40 mph. When the problem first started it would reset itself and start working again but a couple of months ago it stopped working altogether. The speedometer lever is pointing straight down now. We replaced a sensor but that didn't fix the problem. Shortly after the speedometer stopped working I started having problems with the heater. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I'm no mechanic but I can't help but think all these problems are related especially after doing some reading on the cluster problems these cars seem to be having.

As of now, the other gauges are still working "peck wood" but ya'll might be hearing more from me - we'll see. GM really needs to fix this problem - it's just ridiculous now!!!!!!!!!!

- , Fayetteville, TN, USA

Aug 012008

Impala

This piece of Sugar Honey Ice Tea........Well damn, where do I start...Had the car 3 months, injector goes bad, dealership repairs it. Also complain about rear windshield not properly installed and car not starting properly, they blew me off, said it was fine. one year to the day ANOTHER injector goes bad. Luckily I'm still under warranty. Bastards repair car. Complain again about windshield and car not starting properly, once again "everything is fine." Not long after, windshield wipers decide to stay in the up position rather than down where they are suppose to be, something about the motor going out..of course I'm no longer under warranty...Not to long after that I notice my temp gauge is now pointing south instead of north..???? and that is where it chooses to remain. So needless to say my speedometer wants to be a team player, so it decides that going all the way up to 60-65 is too much work, so it remains at 10-30 miles, maybe 50, depending on it's mood that day. so thanks to the lazy speedometer I received a $ 400.00 gift from Wytheville, Virginia for recklessly driving (speeding) through their lovely town. In my defense, I seen the trooper, looked down at speedometer, said "I'm good" and kept flowing with traffic, and he flowed right up behind me, whoop whoop....out of town plates didn't help none. He was really nice about giving me that ticket, told me to watch out the rest of my drive through their lovely town. It was crack down week. So of course this leads me up to Mr. guess how much fuel you got cause I'm not telling. He's tempermental also, works when he wants to. Now the slap in the face...transmission slipping. Fluid when checked is a little grainy. And occasionally the temp gauge let's me know my car is over heating...The first 3 years I had this car I only put 15,000 miles on it. Oh yeah..thanks G.M. I love my car and you are the freagin best!!!!! They need to stamp the day and time the car is made on the sticker so people will be informed when thy are buying a friday night special!!

- , Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA

Dec 082009

Impala LS

First the speed, then the fuel, now it shows the temp as off the chart and beeps to check coolant. This totally sucks!

- , Henderson, Kentucky, USA

Aug 162008

Impala V6

My speedometer stopped working about two years ago. I have been waiting to hear news of a recall, but have not heard anything yet. At first I thought it was just my car then I learned it has happened to everyone i knoe that drives an impala. Some have even reported other gauges have failed. I can't believe its not a recall. That's why gm went bankrupt because when you spend thousands on a vehicle that you truly rely on to get you threw your day to day activities you expect it to work. You just can't trust GM.

- , Houston, Texas, USA

Apr 052010

Impala 3.4L

Just bought this car from private owner and after a week the speedometer just quit, was first time in rain, maybe that had something to do with it, or I changed to trip mode on mileage

- , Kimberly, Wisconsin, USA

Feb 152010

Impala 3.4L V6

Sounds like this problem is nearly EPIDEMIC. My car is at the dealership right now getting looked at. While I'm waiting (inpatiently) to hear back, I decided to do a search to see WHY the speedo fails on some Chevy models. Apparently a cheap design in a small motor that drives the speedometer needle is at fault.

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Aug 122009

Impala V6

THIS IS SOME F-UP SHYT , SO U KNOW WHAT WE ALL CAN DO SINCE WE GOING THRU THIS BS WITH GM?? JUST WHENEVA U GET A SPEEDING TICKET LETS PUT THAT SHYT IN THA MAIL!!!!

- , Washington, DC, USA

Jul 172009

Impala LS V6

My instrument cluster is failing, piece by piece. I lost the temperature gauge in July, the gas gauge in September, and now my speedometer is beginning to fail. I was told by the Chevrolet dealership that the cluster would cost about $800 to replace the cluster, but about $500 more to have the mileage reset because there only one place in GA to do that. It looks like this should be a safety recall issue.

- , Braselton, GA, USA

Jul 042009

Impala

Obviously GM knows about this problem and should have recalled to fix it. My uncle retired from GM and I bought their cars out of a sense of loyalty but this will probably be the last. Where was the loyalty to their customers. At present I'm driving with no instruments, I have to guess about my gas and sitting still I'm doing 80 - 120mph. They knew about the problem and continued to sell a defective product all for the money. I don't have $600 to fix it so I'll continue to drive without gauges.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Aug 012009

Impala

The speedometer is a piece of crap. It says you are doing 85 when in fact you are going 40. Better yet, I was sitting for a red light and it shows I am moving at the rate of 42mph!

This flippin' speedometer acts up whenever it wants, and you never really know how fast or how slow you are going.

Yet another screw job by GM? Take my tax dollars to bail out your ass while making junk on the manufacturing line!

- , Union Grov, AL, USA

Sep 262009

Impala LS 3.8L V6

Speedo just went bad... says minus 5 on freeway. My GPS gave me a heads up when I went over the posted speed limit. So, glad I bought the extra warranty.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jun 102009

Impala 6 cyl

like the other listing, I have a 2005 Chevy Impala 6 cyl which turned 36,000 miles yesterday and the speedometer stopped functioning. At this point I'm doing 65 MPH in my driveway and it can only be repaired by a chevy dealer because the mileage has to be corrected, I've gotten a dealer estimate for repair from $300 to $500. Another GM success they get the gold mine and we get the shaft.

I've been buying GM products for 40 years, and guess who just bought their last GM product. Added bonus, I have a 2003 Malibu with 65,000 miles and the REAR window motor just went up and the cost to repair that is $300.00

- , Littlestown, PA, USA