2005 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems: shifting rough

Shifting Rough

2005 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.4

$2,325.00

2. find someone smart enough to fix it (9 reports)
  3. i had to have the transmission completely rebuilt (2 reports)
  4. replace pressure control solenoid (2 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 092011

Impala 3.4L

My 2005 Chevy Impala 3.4 has had transmission shifting problems. I have taken at least 5 separate time to get check and flushed and sensors replaced with different transmission shops. It has cost me approximately 1,200 to attempt getting it fixed since I purchased it 5 years ago. For the first couple of months it did not do this. Feels like my transmission is going to fall out. It jerks extremely bad when I take off into first and sometime even into second gears. One mechanic told me it was called positive shifting. What is that????? Still haven't found a solution. One mechanic mentioned that it was probably a good idea to sell the car because even rebuilding the transmission would eventually cause the exact same problem. GM should really fix what ever it is with all these complaints. Even My anti-theft security light comes on and it takes me anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes sitting in my car to reset it. My vehicle shut down while I was driving it on the freeway, I just seemed like it died and everything shut down could have caused a serious accident. No one seem to have a solution to this either. I think its something having to do with the ignition. I have even replaced the ignition starter motor cost 477.00 with labor. HELP!!!!

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 012013

Impala 3.2L

Sometimes, not always, the car shifts extremely hard and almost 'jumps' when going from stopped to moving. It sometimes sounds/feels as if the transmission is going to fall out onto the road. It becomes extremely scary when it does this when pulling out onto the roadway because I'm never sure if the car is going to go smoothly or if it going to hesitate to shift and stop on me so that I end up getting hit.

- , Sipesville, PA, USA

Jan 152012

Impala LS 3.4L

I've had this car since day one, 2005.

I have had NOTHING but problems with this piece of sh*t car. My dad bought it off the lot, and gave it to me 2 years ago for my 16th birthday.

I have spent so much money on this car for only being 18 years old I pretty much work to keep my car running. Anyway the Transmission problem is the same as everyone else's (of course).. It likes to clunk whenever it shifts into gears.. and when I take off from a stop sign, or stop light, or yield, it CLUNKS EVEN HARDER.. it could cost anywhere from 500 dollars to 2,000 dollars and I cant keep putting money into this car. PLEASE RECALL THIS GM!

- , Burlington, IA, USA

Aug 202007

Impala

I totally agree with all the complaints...but I can't find an answer!! HELP! My car shifts terribly at take off & even worse going up hill. It shudders so bad that I think the engine is about to fall to the ground. There is no getting out of the road quickly from a stop, I have to wait till all the cars have passed and there is a big long gap before daring to pull my car out, otherwise I'll get hit because my car is throwing a hissy fit to get going! I'm not even sure its the transmission because I've been driving it like this for about 4 years. I don't want to get a new transmission because other reviews say it doesn't solve the problem. I desperately want to get it fixed but no one seems to actually know the cause. Has anybody figured it out yet or must we all drop $2500 on a new transmission when the car is worth- less/ worthless.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Apr 052013

Impala 3.4L

I recently bought my 05 impala, used, with 145,000 miles, probably stupid on my part for buying an American car with such high mileage but it's all I could afford. Anyways, test drove the car, had it checked out, everything appeared to be good. Ran really strong, I knew it needed brakes but that seemed to be the only problem.

Since then, and it's only been a month and half, new water pump, catalytic converter became plugged which caused an exhaust leak and then the whole damn exhaust snapped off right behind the catalytic converter, so had the exhaust "fixed" between header pipe and just past the CAT, transmission began slipping three weeks after I bought it, and after all the other repairs the transmission light came on and it's clearly about to die. I lost all faith in Ford years ago, and after buying this car and not only having my problems but reading that EVERYBODY who has bought one of these mobile dumpsters has had nothing but problems from 50,000 miles up, it's no wonder so many people buy foreign cars. These companies get huge bailouts and still stick it to the American people. F#@% YOU GM!

- , Michigan City, IN, USA

May 102010

Impala ES 3.8L V6

The transmission will shift hard sometimes, normally when it is hot. It mostly happens when it has been on the open road and then it is in local traffic. Sometimes it hesitates when starting out from a light or stop sign and then bangs into gear. Then it will normally clunk as it shifts into a higher gear. A lot of the time, the transmission will shift smooth, but the rough shifting comes back when you least expect it. I have been driving it this way for at least 3 years and it has not gone away nor gotten any worse. Of course, some transmission shops would like to tear it apart and replace it for a couple of grand, but I talked to a mechanic who said it is most likely the PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID and he could replace it for around $800. This is because the engine has to be lifted to get to it. They are also recommending replacing the Monroe struts, and possibly the outer tie rods, since the car has about 180,000 miles. One more thing: the speedometer hasn't worked for awhile. I noticed other 2005 Impalas have the same problem.

I like the car except for the oil leaks that recently cost $600 to repair, in addition to the problems previously mentioned.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Impala

I hate the 2005 Impala.I bought it without doing my homework. A week later it started shifting hard under 30 miles per hour. It jerks at 10 miles, 20 miles and 30 miles and sometimes at take off. This will undoubtedly cost me about $1500 or more to fix. I'm just wondering why Chevy isn't doing a recall on this crappy car. I will be doing my homework from now on.

- , Jonesboro, GA, USA

Aug 082012

Impala ES 3.4L

Parked. Scared transmision will get worse. Reverse seem OK. Go backward everywhere is an option? NO!

- , Silsbee, TX, USA

Sep 302011

Impala 3.4L

I bought this car with 14000 miles in 2006. The car had been good till it hit around 64000 miles. Now when I start out from a stop it will hesitate to shift. Then shifts hard into first. This doesn't happen all the time. Seems to be intermittent and I'm never sure when it will happen. I took it in to my mechanic but it wouldn't do it for him. I had the transmission fluid changed but it still happens. My next stop is the Chevy Dealer in hopes the can identify and fix the problem.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Feb 132012

Impala LS

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala and lately its been driving a little rough. I have never had a problem with it until now. I have about 161,352 miles on it so I have got my use out of it. When I am in stop and go traffic my car jerks. I took it to have the tranny flushed and that didnt help. Then I took it to a tranny shop and he told me my options but it will cost me between 1800-2500 depending on the problem. I then took it somewhere else and had it looked at again and long behold a error code P1811 Maxium Adapt and Long Shift code. He reset the code and told me to drive it and see what happens. Well on my way home it did it a few times. It never does it on the highway but in stop in go traffic awful. He said my next step is to get the PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID replaced and then if that didnt work then I would have to replace the tranny. I am 1200 from it being paid off and I just don't want to start the payment thing all over again. Now I'm sitting on the fence to either to trade it in or just fix it.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Mar 142011

Impala LS 3.4L

Transmission sometimes clunks when taking off from a start, ie light or stop sign. If done slowly is doesn't seem to happen but is inconsistant. Also inconsistant the trans will shift hard at lower gears and sometimes shudders when taking off from a stop.

- , Guelph, ONT, canada

Dec 012011

Impala ES 3.4L

I bought this car from my fatherinlaw with 48,000 miles at 50,000 miles we went on a road trip after driving on the freeway we came to a town where the car had to shift in the lower gears at that time it started to shift hard. So we pulled over & checked the fluid it looked good so we started the car up & drove away. It worked perfect for about 3 months than it started shifting hard 4 different time between home & Disney land. When we got back I took the car into my transmission shop & when they pulled the pan there was 2 piles of brass in the pan. They found that the brass bushing were being chewed up. So they rebuilt the trans. & put a new torq converter in it. I have never in my life ever own a car that had a trans that went out any earlier than 140,000 miles. As I have checked in to this, it sounds like GM needs to recall all of them & start over learning to build transmissions.

- , Magna, UT, USA

Apr 112010

Impala 3.4L V6

okay i purchased this vehicle used back in dec.of 2010 and i have been getting trouble from the transmission since about april 2011.i have also taken it to a couple of shops but havent been able to diagnose problem and its really getting on my freaking nerves wish i could have the problem taken care of and also the cluster in the dash is acting up also sometimes dont even know how fast im really going and that can be a hassle as well and that`s really f*cked up

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 012011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

I have owned a 2005 Impala LS for over a year now, and only had minor issues, but today my gears are shifting rough until I get to highway speeds. I am hoping the problem will not cost me a lot of money, I have put over a grand already in the car for repairs, if the car problems keep arising, I will have to unfortunately look for a new car. Other than the mechanical issues, the car is very nice. It seems that this car just has many defects.

- , Oak Ridge, NC, USA

Feb 102010

Impala

my 2005 impala has had this transmission problem since i bought it. as many of the other people on this site has stated my car will not shift into gear sometimes when you get ready to take off. then when it catches gear it shifts really hard, so hard i think its going to bust the transmission. how come with all the complaints about this same or similar issue Chevrolet doesn't do a recall and fix the problem. i took it to a mechanic and he hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and it showed that it was some kind of sensor. also my gas gauge stopped working and the key is hard to turn. i love my car but it seems like everything on it is falling apart. also i have a terrible gas odor sometimes, i'm so afraid its going to catch fire or blow up with me and my children in it. i know people will say well, buy something else, but i'm on disability and cant afford it.

- , Laurel, MS, USA

Mar 172010

Impala LX 3.4L V6

I have a 2005 Impala 3.4l V6 with aprox. 68,000 miles and its shifts hard when taking off. Has anyone complaining have Flex Fuel and do you think this could be the problem? 30 people on this site alone, someone else has to have flex fuel. If its not the tranny I need answers I am going crazy trying to figure out how to afford a new tranny but I see several have replaced it and still have the same issue. Only jerks when taking off and it is an off and on again thing. Do these complaints go to

GM because a recall is necessary.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 102010

Impala 3.4L V6

I have a 2005 chevy impala, I experience rough shifting when the car is in its lower gears, will then stop at highway speeds. The rough shifting is off and on, never consistant. I ahve had my transmission flushed and filter replaced. Now im being told by one mechanic its a fluid exchange problem among the transmission and the valves apprx 1,500) and then another mechanic tells me that I need to rebuild my transmission.

Obviously this is a common problem with this make and model. Has anyone found out what is really causing these issues and stop guessing. What is chevy saying or doing if so many models are having problems. I know I dont have the patiences, time or money fixing possibilities instead of certainty! The car has lost "get up power" seems like it struggles to catch up, engine oil is leaking from the engine, my speedometer is broke and doesnt work at all (have to guess at how fast im going). I would never buy, lease, or finance a chevy or gm product/

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 012011

Impala 3.4L

My transmission is rough when it shifts. This happens on all gears. My buddy has the same car and we have the same problems. Trunk just opens, Temperature gauge not working, water pump issues, not turning on without stepping on the accelerator, and so on and son on.

- , Lakewood, WA, USA

Aug 162008

Impala

I have had a my 2005 Chevy Impala just that same as many, and at 45,000 miles I noticed that that Transmission was jerking when at lights or stop signs I took it to mechanics who told me it was nothing, that with that few miles there cant be any problems with the Transmission. Now the problem is getting worst. I am at the end of my rope now!! I have tried to do a trade in, however at this point I am upside down in my payment. I do have like 2 other friends who also need to get new or rebuilt transmissions. That is the largest of my problems so far. I have made a personal decision to never get a Chevrolet again.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 192009

Impala

On take off it jerks into gear. Then it drives fine for awhile then it starts doing it again. We can't afford all of these different problems that have come up.

- , FELLOWS, CA, USA