2005 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems: transmission failure

Transmission Failure

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.9

$1,929.00

1. fix for $3400+ or rebuilt for $2000+ (6 reports)
  2. replace the transmission (6 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Jan 172013

Impala 3.4L

This car has been a problem since the day i got it. My dad helped me get this car and it was already used by a rental company sold back to the dealer. I just replaced the tranny thank goodness for a mechanic friend. It got it done for a good price but took awhile to get it back. I would recommend if you are thinking of buying a impala you need to do a lot of research, wish i would have. I four years I have put about 6,000 dollars into this piece of junk and still making payments.

- , Pickens, SC, USA

Jan 032011

Impala LS 3.4L V6

Started slipping from 1st to 2nd gear. Now slips from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. It has gotten significantly worse over the last year. Based on what I have been reading on this site I dont think I have much time before it goes completely. I am lucky that I made it this far, I guess. I will be getting a new car in a couple months, hoping this one gets me that far.

- , Bellevue, NE, USA

Nov 112010

Impala 3.8L V6

Car's transmission started to slip around 50,000 miles. Completely died at 85K. Piece of crap! Not only did the transmission go, but the flex plate had to be replaced too. My hubby is a car guy, so he was able to look at the parts and see that the tranny shop wasn't ripping us off. He didn't want to tackle the transmission because of the electrical problems the car was already having.

I'l NEVER buy another GM product. NEVER.

- , South Euclid, OH, USA

Jan 252011

Impala LS 3.8L

ok chevy how can I have, and my son have, bought brand new cars and they are both s... Why is it that every tow truck drivers have told us that their company tows at least one GM car/truck(cads/escalades as well in this GM group) a day with broken trannys. they say 75,000 is long, average age 50,000 miles. No recalls chevy? what the f... I now hope you fold. NO MORE CHEVYS FOR OUR FAMILY. It will cost us 1,500.00 back yard, $2500.00 in shop. Approx. $3500 at chevy

- , Whinchester, CA, USA

Sep 242010

Impala LS 3.8L

shifts hard intermittently. Dealer wont fix it. Out of mileage and 3yrs warr.by three days. We have daughter using it for three block college trips. we now are driving toyota. look out brakes. My son has an 2005 chevy avalanche. he has replaced his tranny three times, cd player still wont work, broken shock bracket, replaced gauge cluster. front hubs and more. Our car and his truck are constantly needing repairs like an old 100,000 mile car would start acting. f-chevy

- , Whinchester, CA, USA

Sep 152009

Impala LS V6

Where do I start with this car? I got it in 2005 NEW, I loved it for the first three years after that it has been down hill from there. When my car hit 68000 miles everything seemed to start failing on me. First it was my speedometer that failed,then my horn stopped working. After that my transmission went at 72000 that was $2000 but not done at the dealership they wanted $4500. My steering wheel started to squeak when I make a turn.So you think that it would be all but NO it's not. Then I needed a thermostat at 8000 miles, not even a week later I needed a new water pump. Now my car is miss firing, and I need a new timing change. What a POS car. This car is the most money hungry car I have ever had in my life, and I have had some bad ones. But to pay all that money to buy the car you would think it was a good one. I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN.

- , Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jun 022010

Impala 3.4L

click to see larger images

transmission failure transmission failure

Well Everyone...my 2005 Chevrolet Impala FINALLY took a sh*t on me. After a year of complaining of my transmission slipping now and then, and them telling me they retrieved NO code and that they test drove it and it drove fine.....BS! It's got 147K on it now...I drive about 80 miles round trip to work every week day....so I put on a lot of miles. But the fact that i've been complaining about the transmission and nobody seeming to know what is wrong with it just pisses me off. They day before yesterday i was driving home from work about 75-80 MPH on the freeway and it started shuddering. I got scared to I dropped my speed down to 60 MPH. It felt like the transmission was running rough, and the thought of it locking or seizing on the freeway scared the sh*t out of me. What the point in taking it in...they're just gonna tell me the SAME BS..."We ran a diag on it and came up with no codes, even test drove it and it was fine"...that SAME STORY. Well, i had to drive it to work yesterday and it ran fine...until the ride home. Something was definitely wrong this time because I can hear something rattling in the transmission, and when i turned to the next street it shuddered and the wheels squealed and it felt like the car was stuck by something. then i also noticed it was not shifting out of 2nd gear.....This is it fellas...i was telling myself. I nursed the car home going 40 MPH...at some points it would run fine and would get up to 50...then it would start changing gears on its own....seemed like it kept going from 3rd to 4th gear constantly. When i got home.....I made plans to take it in AGAIN....but when i turned the corner to my street....the car started to overheat. When i shut it off, I opened the hood to see what was going on. then i noticed Oily water started gushing out from the passenger side under the car. I checked the oil level on my dipstick and there is no sign of oil in the engine....then tonight I opened up the radiator and it had oil residue inside. I still don't know where the leak is coming from. The Transmission? Engine.....at this point i don't even care anymore. After reading this you might think im negligent....but if you owned this car....you would totally understand.

- , Coolidge, AZ, USA

Apr 152008

Impala 3.2L V6

2nd and 4th gear failed and had to replace torque converter at 60,000 miles. The first transmission service is not even recommended until 75,000 miles. It started when I checked my transmission fluid and it was very dark, almost black. I took the car in and got a transmission flush. BAD IDEA!! Two days after I did that, the transmission failed. I took my car into AAMCO to have the transmission fixed. I do not recommend AAMCO for ANYTHING! They quoted me $1800. When all was said and done the final charge was $3500. Not only that but I was without my car for almost 2 weeks! I have done research online and found many other people that have had the exact transmission failure in their '05 Impala's. Between bad thermostats, heater/ac blower failures, and transmissions breaking down, I will never buy another Chevy car. BEWARE!

- , Bremerton, WA, USA

Nov 232009

Impala V6

This car has been nothing but problems, transmission went out. I bought car brand new no wonder GM went belly up they make junk cars. Fords for me from now on.

- , Blanchard, OK, USA

Jun 022009

Impala

i have had this car for 4 years and out of no where the transmission just gave out. The most painful part about this situation is that I'm still making monthly payments for this car. Repairing it would be an additional cost that would have no guarantee. I wish I knew about this site before I had made this purchase at the dealer. It seems we all did not see this coming.

- , Mission Hills, CA, USA

Jun 032008

Impala V8

i have an 05 Chevy impala that i thought was very reliable. one day my husband was driving to the cemetery to visit a relatives grave and before he got there couple of mile away the stupid piece of isht just turned off on him out of no where.he had to pay a tow truck to tow it back to a shop where they said there was a problem with the tranny. luckily again my extended warranty covered it i only shelled out $100 deductible being that with out the warranty i would've been caught up with around 3 grand out of pocket to fix the isht. this was frustrating because my car was out of commission for 1 wk 1/2 and it still goes nuts every now and then. this impala seemed like a comfortable reliable car but i was wrong about the tech problems..... such a headache...

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 232009

Impala LT 3.4L V6

Transmission failure on 2005 Impala. AAMCO charged $2800+. After three removals and repairs, they finally got it right. Car was out of commission for three weeks. GM covered half of the charges after I got very angry with them . That car was totaled (deer collision) in May 2008.

Purchased 2006 Impala as a replacement. Last week, I started experiencing the same problems with the transmission. Took it to dealer this time. I heard today that the transmission must be replaced with a rebuilt. My extended warranty will pay, but the car will have been out of commission for at least one week.

What is up with Chevy? I've always bought GM, but no more.

- , Erie, PA, USA

May 212008

Impala 3.4L

Driving home from work late on night my trans just decided it was not working anymore. The damn thing went out as i was going up a small hill. The rpms shot up and from about 7 miles from home thank god it didn't happen a few months earlier in nc 500 miles from home. I had to limp it home at about 20 mph. It sucked riding the shoulder hoping to make it home before i get pulled over for going to slow or some sh*t just to add to my frustration. I have had a few estimates but have not had done yet. Most are 2000 and up. I would love to have my car running on these hot days when i need some ac and don't have it cuz my car is a lawn ornament.

- , Elkton, MD, USA

Apr 012008

Impala 3.4L

soooo i sell my 2002 impala 3.4 for $5,500 with 87k miles. shifting was getting a lil rough but it was in overall decent shape but i sold it to get something newer with less miles. so i take that 5.5k and go to a dealership and put down on a 2005 impala 3.4 with 41k miles. i offer him 9k and he accepts. anyways on way home... speedometer goes out of whack and sticks on 140 mph even when im stopped.... and so when i get my oil change the next day at the Chevy dealership the problem with the speedometer wasn't showing (it went back to normal) and so they hooked up the diagnostics thing and found out i needed a new instrument cluster ... (300-400$ fix) oh and guess what they found a transmission code and told me that i was screwed and i neededa new transmission. at 41k miles... i am financing this piece of sh*t... and i don't got the money to fix it so im pretty screwed... the whole point of me getting this vehicle was to have a better more reliable car because my gf's car is just a Chevy cavalier 2003 but it has 105k miles on it and its transmission is not doing so hot ... so now i got 2 unreliable vehicles and both have car payments and neither are under any kind of warranty. Chevy can now lick my ass. . i just replaced my transmission filter, and oil and put a bottle of lucas transmission fix in it... (helped a lil with all that) but overall this cars trans is not gonna last long at all because its still slipping pretty bad. worst part is... when i test drove it ... it was fine. i wish i could turn back time and bought that honda accord i was lookin at....

- , Palmer, Alaska, USA

Mar 172008

Impala V6

I bought a 2005 Chevy Impala and the transmission died. I was with my family and pulled up to a stop sign and pushed on the gas and my car would not go. I figure it was something small because It is a 2005 with only 75,000 miles on it but I found out today I have to come up with 2,000 to get it fixed. I use to only buy Chevy's but I might consider another brand

- , Ash Grove, MO, USA